no weight loss doing p90x

Options
I just finished day 8 of p90x, and haven't lost any noticeable weight. I've been losing 1-2 lbs per week before last week. Is it possible that I've gained muscle that fast (I've been taking post workout protein)? I thought I would have lost more weight at first. Any ideas? suggestions?

Replies

• RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 9 and I haven't lost any weight either. But I do feel my body firming up and my clothes fitting better. A week is too soon to judge in my opinion. Give yourself time and keep up the good work!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    which schedule are you on? Lean? Classic? Doubles?
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when we change up our routines we may not lose weight, and even gain a couple of pounds for the first week or so. I don't think it is anything to worry about at this point. P90X is a tough workout, so make sure that you are eating enough of the good stuff. =)
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I would suggest watching for inches lost as that is a great indicator of your progress. Also, are you following the diet plan closely? That will affect weight loss significantly. Awesome job at getting through the first week. Keep it up!
    Risa
  • liono1787
    Options
    Just give it time. P90 does work if you give it your all and eat right. My guess is you will probably gain a little bit first then you will see a drop for sure. Just keep it up and dont concentrate on the weight yet!
  • jensdaily
    jensdaily Posts: 16
    Options
    You'll probably lose inches first and then weight. Just keep going, after a few weeks you should notice a difference.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Note, that P90x is not a weight loss routine per se. Most of the time people do lose weight. The first time I went through the program, I didnt lose a pound. However, I dropped 4 inches of my belly alone. I followed the nutrition plan to a t. The second time, I used this site to monitor my calories a bit more and cut about 300- 400 calories a day. I dropped 15 real quick. I would suggest you play with your calorie intake a bit to tailor it to your body.
  • realtree2
    realtree2 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm doing the Classic version, I'm not following the meal plan in the book because I'm sticking to my calorie allowance on MFP, which is 1920/day.
  • MattLee10
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale. Just trust the program. Fat for muscle trade off will give funny scale readings. I'm about done with round 2 of P90X. My suggestion is eat a lot of clean protein and fruits and veggies. Drink a lot of water. I had to increase my food intake by a lot in order to keep my body from holding onto those last few pounds (i.e. avoid letting your body fall into starvation mode).

If you took day 1 pictures, you'll be able to really visually tell the difference by day 30. ...throw the scale away.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I lost inches but not lbs for the first 3 weeks, by the end of the first 30 days you should see lb loss too!
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Note, that P90x is not a weight loss routine per se. Most of the time people do lose weight. The first time I went through the program, I didnt lose a pound. However, I dropped 4 inches of my belly alone. I followed the nutrition plan to a t. The second time, I used this site to monitor my calories a bit more and cut about 300- 400 calories a day. I dropped 15 real quick. I would suggest you play with your calorie intake a bit to tailor it to your body.

+1

In addition, looking for results after only 8 days is just way to soon. Stay with it and watch your diet, results will follow!

Good luck!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    when i first did p90x.. i didn't notice any weight loss until month 2.. make sure to do measurements.. although i wasn't losing as much weight as i wanted i was definitely losing inches. best wishes!!
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I would agree with Andre! The first week is too soon to gauge results. Definitely live 30 days, by 30 days. Take your measurements, before pics and be amazed at how things change in 30 days.

Results can be all over the place, but for me, I lost 25lbs in the first 90 days. Didn't see much in the first 2 weeks, but definitely by 30, 60 and definitely 90 days. And I followed the nutrition VERY closely. That's 80% of the results. Here's my results: http://bit.ly/P90XPostBabyVideo

Stick with it and stay on track! Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 8 of p90x, and haven't lost any noticeable weight. I've been losing 1-2 lbs per week before last week. Is it possible that I've gained muscle that fast (I've been taking post workout protein)? I thought I would have lost more weight at first. Any ideas? suggestions?

most likely your muscles are retaining water due to the intensity of the program. When your muscles get worked hard they store water to protect them and to aid in recovery. Once you get use to the workouts your muscles will shed the water and you should notice a weight loss. also make sure you are eating enough. I believe the minimum amount you should eat while on the program is 1800 cals/day. You may want to double check the nutrition guide to be sure.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My coach explained it to me in that when you are working your muscles they retain water- I gained weight the first month. Overall, I didn't lose weight on P90X, but I didn't have much to lose, I'm within 10lbs of my goal. I did lose inches - bunches of them, and a whole clothing size. Mainly, my results were a super fitness level, toned body and increased speed in my running.

Keep at it. it's a 90 day program and you may not notice results until 90 days.
  • nahhan12
    nahhan12 Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm on day 9 and I haven't lost any weight either. HOWEVER, I already notice a difference in my midsection and my arms. I feel great and am excited to continue. Definitely stick with it and if you aren't happy after the end of month 1 then maybe it's not the type of program you're looking for.
    Before you make that decision though, reassess your eating and your calorie burning. The P90X nutrition plan allows for 600 calories burned during your daily workout. (That's built in to their calorie recommendations.) I've been wearing my heart rate monitor all week and the most I've burned from a workout is 375 calories. Either I'm not pushing myself hard enough in the work outs or I need to cut back 200-300 calories and see if that makes a difference. I'm not too concerned with the scale right now because I'm seeing visual, non-scale improvements. If I still haven't lost anything after 30 days, then I'll change things up a bit.
  • itsmeangelia
    Options
    I started working out and eating clean 7/2/2012 started P90X on 7/5/2012. Today is day 5 on P90X. I lost 4.8 lbs and in the last day have gained 1.5. However it is quite early in the program and I will not let this discourage me. I am going to keep pushing play!