Breakfast Foods - Help!

Options
I need help with food choices for breakfast. I don't really like eating it since I am not hungry in the mornings and have a hard time eating right when I wake up. I am also rushed in the mornings since I hurry to get to work and prefer to take something to go, which is hard to do with a bowl of cereal! What are some low-calorie, healthy options that I can take "to go" and still get my nutrition? Thanks!

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't eat breakfast.

Contrary to what your mom, your friend, and that one chick says; breakfast is not the most important meal of the day.

If it does not feel right to eat breakfast and you are not hungry; by all means don't force yourself. Use the extra time to pack a good lunch or plan ahead for dinner. Meal frequency can be whatever the *kitten* you want it to be.

Look at it this way, you'll be able to focus more on getting things done in the mornings, and then enjoy a heftier lunch, dinner, and bedtime snack later.
  • om3guz
    om3guz Posts: 48
    Options
    My favorite quick, on the go breakfast is a banana.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi there - my all time favorite bring along breakfast is Jimmy Dean Breakfast D-Lights. English Muffin, egg white, turkey sausage and a slice of cheese - so delicious like eating MCDonalds, but so much better for you. 260 calories total lots of good protein.

Microwave for 1-1/2 minutes either at home or at work, and you are good to go. I have that each workday with a small piece of fruit or some cut up veggies - VERY filling and satisfying.
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can totally eat cereal on the run... in fact your can eat almost anything on the run. It's called a SOLO cup and plastic utensil.

I do high fiber cereal with almond milk and fruit
    FF plain greek yogurt with lots a variety mix ins
    oatmeal with also variety mix ins
    eggs scrambled fits in there too!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fruit, not runny like regular yogurt. Great protein starter for the day. If you like cereal, throw some Grapenuts in with your yogurt, or add some almonds (or other nuts) a good source of fats.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    If I am rushed...a banana and a greek yogurt are my favs!
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Also light english muffins with tbsp natural almond butter and a couple slices of fresh fruit like bananas or strawberries.. amazing!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i have never been a breakfast person, i just eat a Special K granola bar in the morning while driving to work. It is only 90 cal. It is not a lot, but it is perfect for me since i'm not hungry in the mornings and also like to have something i can take on the go.

I tried fruit smooties for a while also, cut up fresh bananas and strawberries and freeze them, blend with some vanilla protein powder and a splash of water... they were pretty good and i could also take them on the go, but it felt like too much for me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    overnight oatmeal
    hard boiled eggs
    fruit
    dry cereal pre-measured into baggies
    mini-frittatas (eggs & toppings baked in muffin tins)

But remember, if you do want to eat breakfast it doesn't have to be breakfast food. Your body doesn't know the difference if you decide to grab last night's leftovers or a sandwich instead of the cereal.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Fruit! It's energizing even if you don't eat a lot of it.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't eat breakfast.

Contrary to what your mom, your friend, and that one chick says; breakfast is not the most important meal of the day.

If it does not feel right to eat breakfast and you are not hungry; by all means don't force yourself. Use the extra time to pack a good lunch or plan ahead for dinner. Meal frequency can be whatever the *kitten* you want it to be.

Look at it this way, you'll be able to focus more on getting things done in the mornings, and then enjoy a heftier lunch, dinner, and bedtime snack later.

Agreed, if your not hungry why eat? your body isn't telling you that you need it, so why?
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My staple/normal every day breakfast is 2 eggs/scrambled. I prepare them in the morning while I'm getting my lunch together, etc. I put them in with my lunch and then usally eat them around 9:00-10:00 because I'm usually not hungry until then. I sometimes toast a wheat english muffin to have with it also.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hi there - my all time favorite bring along breakfast is Jimmy Dean Breakfast D-Lights. English Muffin, egg white, turkey sausage and a slice of cheese - so delicious like eating MCDonalds, but so much better for you. 260 calories total lots of good protein.

Microwave for 1-1/2 minutes either at home or at work, and you are good to go. I have that each workday with a small piece of fruit or some cut up veggies - VERY filling and satisfying.

Just out of curiosity, how much sodium is in those? I started to find that almost anything that is processs/prepared is very high in sodium.
  • kimkooks
    kimkooks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I second the overnight oatmeal! So great and easy to prepare the night before and just grab in the morning. I make it with almond milk and a small amount of Greek yogurt, banana, ground flaxseed and a dash of PB. It's an awesome choice before a morning workout as it keeps you full for ages and you can top it with anything you like.

Squash fritters too -basically that's squash or any other grated veggie with some cheese and enough egg to glue it together baked in the oven for 10 mins. I made batch the night before and took them for work the next day.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts is a smoothie. I can put all of the ingredients in my MagicBullet the night before and just blend it up in the morning. It's also great for me because I can take it in the car with me, so if I'm in a hurry or am just not hungry right then, I can drink it on the way or after I get to work.

I use FF Greek Yogurt, apple juice (light cocktail-for added sweetness) as the base, then add whatever fruits you want. I've also heard of adding spinach or other veggies, but I did not care for those.
  • jenniferbattlenagel
    jenniferbattlenagel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast person by any means. I drink Shakeology (a very delicious nutritional shake) made by beachbody. http://tinyurl.com/6n5pgbb. It's good because it takes 2 seconds to make and I drink it in the car on the way to work. It's high in fiber, protein, low in sugars and it tastes good. I'm filled up and ready to go. On the days that i only have a piece of fruit or a granola bar, I find that I get that sugar high and then crash and then I'm really hungry shortly after.

I don't agree that you should not eat breakfast. Everything I've read suggests that your body needs something after fasting for several hours while you sleep. Also (for me anyway), I exercise in the morning, so there is no way I can work out hard and not eat anything. I use the multiple small meals per day approach, I find that I have fewer cravings and I eat a lot less.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • jenniferbattlenagel
    jenniferbattlenagel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do like Greek yogurt!
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my breakfast after I get to work - usually somewhere between 9:00am and 10:30am. My go-to breakfast to pack is two hard boiled eggs, an avocado and 1/4 cup salsa. When I get to work I peel and chop the eggs, dice the avocado and mix it all together with the salsa. Yummy!

My other breakfast staple is a smoothie that I can whiz up in the blender in under a minute before I head out the door - 2 cups of almond milk, 1 cup frozen blueberries & 1 frozen banana (already pre-portioned and ready to go in the freezer), and 1 scoop of protein powder.
  • TastySocks
    Options
    microwave pre-portioned frozen fruit to thaw then add yogurt or better oats Oat Revolution is a cheap quick oatmeal that is pre packaged
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't eat breakfast.

I totally agree with this! If I'm hungry when I wake up then I eat breakfast, but on those pretty rare mornings when I'm not hungry, I don't eat. There's also no rule that says you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. This morning I had a broccoli, cauliflower, and Morningstar chicken casserole thingy.