Clothes!!!

Options
So I have been at a point for a while where I am wearing clothes that at one point I couldn't even fit into but now they are just too big. I walk around looking like I pooped my pants and when I try to go for a run they literally fall off my butt. Still wanting to lose another 30 lbs I don't really want to nor can I afford to but new clothes. So what do others do? Buy from consignment shops? grab a few cheap items? I feel frumpy.

Replies

• patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ebay, second hand stores, garage sales
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ebay, second hand stores, garage sales

^^ THIS
  • cmkwinn
    cmkwinn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i buy anything with draw strings, and pinterest has like, thousands of no-sew ideas to upcycle tshirts. I'm just starting my "weight loss journey" but even now, i'm noticing a problem with my work clothes fitting differently. i say every time i'm losing weight that reason why I never stick to it is because I can't afford a "skinny" wardrobe!
    good luck :)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    mine are like that in fact the blouse i went to work in today felt more like a dress. but i do go and buy new ones even tho i still have around 42 pounds to go. its a fantastic feel to get into smaller sizes. i walk down the street and people tell me how good i look thats worth paying for a few cheap cloths that fit. ive lost 91 pounds so far 6 and a half stones.
  • akiss4u2tam
    Options
    Hand me downs are the best!!! I am going through the same thing.... One of my coworkers gave me a few bags of clothing... I'm not ashamed of having them and wearing them to work... We have a thing at the job where we do the hand me down things.... We have good jobs however I don't want to feel like I've wasted money on items that a few weeks from now I won't be able to wear.... You can repurpose almost anything.... Don't wear the poopy pants.... :o)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If there's a sale rack within a mile of me you'll find me looking for cheap clothes. They aren't always the exact style I'd buy, but I can live with a temporary change in style.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i still say after wearing size 22/24 uk size now getting into 12 i feel good in tight jeans and tops. its the big boost that keeps me going, thats worth more than money.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Clearance rack!

I love the "Outlet" section on the Coldwater Creek website. And I buy stuff from Target and Old Navy - they have great clearance sections.

I have 2-3 pairs of dress pants for work in neutral colors; then I buy cheap, colorful tops that I can rotate with the different pants. Buy some cute jewelry that you can always wear (no matter what size) and you're set!
  • alombard5580
    alombard5580 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My pants are the same way and they are driving me nuts! These are too big and the next size down is too tight! Ugh! :(
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I have lost 165 lbs in the last 2 years and have had to change entire wardrobes many times (including new shoes as my feet got smaller).

I received some hand me downs from friends and family, but the majority of my clothes I have gotten from GOODWILL on their first Saturday of the month 1/2 price sale. Most items are around $2.25. Sometimes they still have the store tags on them.

I am pretty selective, but I have found some great clothes that I continually get compliments on. I have a managerial position and am expected to dress nicely at work.

I also got some less "nice" clothes that are good for my workouts or just hanging around the house.

This has worked well for me.

I also go to some nicer consignment stores. I have found that occasionally I can buy a brand name item at GOODWILL for $2.25 and when i am tired of it, I can take it to a nice consignment store that pays for clothes up front and sell it to them. When this happens--I sometimes find that I wore the GOODWILL clothes for FREE!!!!! HOORAY!!

Good luck--I feel your pain.
  • aimeesinger
    Options
    Sell your old clothes and put the money towards some new clothes. :)
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    Buy a few staple pieces. That's what I just did. Congrats on not fitting into your old clothes anymore!
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just did some serious damage at the thrift store! I was having the exact same " problem" So I pretty much got a whole new wardrobe from the thrift store so that when I shrink out of these I can donate them back and get a entirely new wardrobe for just as cheap! Prefect for work slacks and everyday jeans!!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    find sales and cheap new options and bought only a handful of things at my intermediate size.

Started by searching the back of my closet and found I still had some work clothes hanging there in a single size down (dropped back down from a 40x34 pant to 38x34 when I got to the 265-ish weight range). Found some Wrangler jeans on sale at Target for $15/pair. Now I just dropped into a 36x34 and had to go shopping. The 40x34 stuff is getting bagged up for goodwill, and I will be replacing the 38x34 and XXL shirts with 36x34 and XL as money permits. Sales, outlet malls, etc.

I'm a guy that hates clothes shopping, but I know that clothes getting snug is one of the first signs of putting weight back on. Getting the new wardrobe is part of getting over having been fat and making sure I never return. I don't see myself getting into a smaller size than I am now, so I've started building the wardrobe back up.
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    tailor, it's actually really affordable and then everything you own is fit for you. usualy $7 for pants and 12$ for shirts. try it out on one pair and see how you like it.