5k101 or Couch to 5K

Options
genthel
genthel Posts: 59 Member
What is your recommendation and why - 5k101 or Couch to 5K? And, if it is a C25K...which one specifically? I am starting one of these on Monday and would like to know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs on my phone. Worked great for me - I finished the program in the set amount of time, and I'm still going. Using their free 10k app now just to push myself a little farther and try to improve speed on my 5k runs.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use the actual Active.com C25K app. I think it was $2. After reading negative reviews on Google Play for some of the free ones, I decided to just get the real one. I like it. The voice commands are great because I never have to look down at my phone. I just do what it tells me to do and it keeps track of all of it for me.

The GPS seems to overestimate a little, but I map my routes on Google maps so I know how far I really went.
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    Couch to 5k has been life changing for me. I just program the training into the RunKeeper app which is free and which I prefer over the official C25k app. The schedule is here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I am on week 8 though I did do week 4 twice because I was struggling with the last run. On Friday I ran for 25 minutes without stopping. 25! Me! I was shocked, it felt so good. Then Saturday I ran 5.3 miles, 28 minutes running, 5 walking, 20 running, 5 walking then finished running for a total of 1 hour 3 minutes. I pushed myself too hard but it was a run with friends. Anyway, I've been really happy with the program.

Be sure to rest in between runs, also maybe work some other training in, things got way better when I did a little strength training. I highly recommend the book "No Need for Speed" by John Bingham. It is an easy read and a great complement to any program. Good luck!