more calories, not enough left in protein or carbs

Options
At the end of the day, I often have a calorie deficit and should eat more, yet if I do that, I will be over the allowance for carbs, protein and fat. Am I misreading this? Can you explain how you handle this? Thanks!

Replies

• cbell
    cbell Posts: 10
    Options
    At the end of the day, I often have a calorie deficit and should eat more, yet if I do that, I will be over the allowance for carbs, protein and fat. Am I misreading this? Can you explain how you handle this? Thanks!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I was pondering the same thing.... I am always over on protein but usually under on fat and carbs. Which the low fat is good, but I am wondering if it will hinder my progress.
  • cbell
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I am wondering, what do I eat at that point? Should I split it evenly? Or can I make it up in all carbs or all protein as I wish? I usually end up shortchanging myself on calories, which I understand can put you into 'starvation mode' and slow down the weight loss.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    No, low fat is not good. I really should make a post about the importance of fat it seems, because everyone wants to neglect it.

First of all...just eating fat does NOT make you fat.
    Second...just eating less dietary fat does NOT make you lose fat.

You gain fat through overeating, whether it's carbs, protein, fats, or all three. You lose fat through eating less calories than you burn in a CONTROLLED manner.

Fat is used for hormone production, immune response, brain function, vitamin absorption, and cell wall production. It is SO SO SO important--why do you think Essential Fatty Acids are called 'essential'? Eat the fat that MFP tells you to eat. It's the minimum RDA, and eating less can lead to health problems. The whole reason you have these guidelines is to prevent malnutrition.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    No, low fat is not good. I really should make a post about the importance of fat it seems, because everyone wants to neglect it.

You gain fat through overeating, whether it's carbs, protein, fats, or all three. You lose fat through eating less calories than you burn in a CONTROLLED manner.

Fat is used for hormone production, immune response, brain function, vitamin absorption, and cell wall production. It is SO SO SO important--why do you think Essential Fatty Acids are called 'essential'? Eat the fat that MFP tells you to eat. It's the minimum RDA, and eating less can lead to health problems. The whole reason you have these guidelines is to prevent malnutrition.

Please do make a post specific to fats. I also find myself with frequent fat deficits. I'm slowly learning about nutrition and am really nervous about adding fats on purpose.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Please do make a post specific to fats. I also find myself with frequent fat deficits. I'm slowly learning about nutrition and am really nervous about adding fats on purpose.

Okie dokie, I will do that :smile:
  • cbell
    Options
    What I am asking is: if I have more calories to consume at the end of the day, for example 300, but the total left in my proteins, carbs and fats columns is under 300, what do I eat? This doesn't have to do with eating fats specifically.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Note I said lower fat not no fat, as a health teacher I know it's important to have it in your diet but there is a difference between wolfing down a big mac and eating nuts.
  • Life_is_Good
    Options
    What I am asking is: if I have more calories to consume at the end of the day, for example 300, but the total left in my proteins, carbs and fats columns is under 300, what do I eat? This doesn't have to do with eating fats specifically.

Carbs = 4 calories per gram
    Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram

Is this what you're looking for?
  • cbell
    Options

YES - thanks! Now I get it !!
  • jdavison
    jdavison Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm usually under on calories and I always to try to stay under on carbs. I have a tendency to go over on fats and proteins, but if I'm over because I'm putting items on my lunch salads like almonds, cashews, tuna, feta cheese, chicken, hard-boiled eggs and olives, I'm not worried. I started 9 weeks ago and have lost 39 pounds so something is working!
  • cbell
    Options
    I'm usually under on calories and I always to try to stay under on carbs. I have a tendency to go over on fats and proteins, but if I'm over because I'm putting items on my lunch salads like almonds, cashews, tuna, feta cheese, chicken, hard-boiled eggs and olives, I'm not worried. I started 9 weeks ago and have lost 39 pounds so something is working!

WOW - That's a big number! Congratulations!
  • Life_is_Good
    Options

YES - thanks! Now I get it !!

You're Welcome :happy:
  • gschwsh
    gschwsh Posts: 11
    Options
    wow i rather eat less carbs too. It just works for me. I