For moms - How much weight did you lose....

Options
when you had your baby??? I'm 24 weeks pregnant tomorrow and have gained 25lbs already! I never got morning sickness :ohwell: . Anyway, my Dr. said before I would lose 20lbs when I have my baby, and today she said I would only lose 12-15lbs when I deliver. Of course, when I breast feed I will lose some too, but I just want to know how much other mothers have lost after their deliveries????

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bahaha, we have the same name (well, nickname in my case)!

With my first I lost about 13 pounds when I was discharged. With my second it was about 7 pounds, but I got pumped full of fluids from being on pitocin.
  • Melsie303
    Melsie303 Posts: 6
    Options
    It will depend on your delivery. With my son I had a looooong labor and was on an IV for over 30 hours so I was super puffy. He was 9lbs 11oz and I only lost like 12lbs after delivery. The other 28lbs took about 6 months.

With my twins, I lost about 20lbs after delivery. (They were 18lbs combined) and the other 20lbs came off in about 6 weeks.
  • mayfly00
    mayfly00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was 190lbs the day my son was born, and 2 days later I was 176lbs. :( Not quite the dramatic change I was hoping for! But the next 20lbs came off pretty quickly with minimal effort just from breastfeeding and eating normally (no restriction). I'm 6 months post partum now and I only just started working out seriously and watching what I eat. I started counting calories and increasing my daily yoga practice when I was at 155lbs a couple of weeks ago and I'm down to 149lbs now - only 14lbs to go! Which I don't think will be too difficult to lose now, since I started the Insanity workout a couple of days ago.

Edit: I gained a ton when I was pregnant. I went from 150lbs (overweight for me) to 190lbs!
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I lost 28lb, but I had only gained 14lb during the pregnancy, as I was already very overweight when I got pregnant. The baby, placenta, fluid etc will probably come to 12-15lb, but then it depends how much water you are retaining etc. You will probably be weeing for England (or America) while it all comes out. It's such a glamorous time. :)

By the way, don't hate me, but please don't rely on breastfeeding helping with weight loss. The entire time I was breasfeeding I was absolutely ravenous, I've never known hunger like it, it was insatiable. The 14lb I lost during pregnancy went back on in no time. :o
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input!

Mayfly... congrats on getting down to 149! I am only 5'2" and want to be around 125 for my goal weight. I'm currently 178!!!! I was 28lbs over my goal when I got pregnant though. So, maybe it won't be too difficult to get what I've currently gained off.

Good luck on the last 14lbs. I know you can do it, and your story was great motivation for me!
  • scarlettgeorgia4
    scarlettgeorgia4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was 200lb the day of delivery, 180 a week later. and 2 months later i was still 180 (i was breastfeeding) but i was eating a lot of crap. my son is now 7 months and im 135, however i have worked really hard eating healthy and working out. I was disapointed that breastfeeding didnt get rid of the weight but i was eating so much junk i shouldnt have been suprised. im sure if you eat well and avoid too many biscuits you'll be fine..

besides, your pregnant! Don't worry about it - especially if its your first baby. enjoy this time and dont worry about weight, you can deal with it after :P
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I lost 28lb, but I had only gained 14lb during the pregnancy, as I was already very overweight when I got pregnant. The baby, placenta, fluid etc will probably come to 12-15lb, but then it depends how much water you are retaining etc. You will probably be weeing for England (or America) while it all comes out. It's such a glamorous time. :)

By the way, don't hate me, but please don't rely on breastfeeding helping with weight loss. The entire time I was breasfeeding I was absolutely ravenous, I've never known hunger like it, it was insatiable. The 14lb I lost during pregnancy went back on in no time. :o

YES! I agree, do NOT rely on breastfeeding to help you lose weight! I ended up maintaining my weight for a long time because of how hungry nursing made me with my second baby!

Now that my little man is older and nursing has slowed down a lot, I'm finally getting my weight down! :)
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I gained 19 pounds (to get to 260) from a pre-pregnancy weight of 241. I had lost ten by the time my little guy was about two weeks old (I had a lot of IV fluid during delivery, too.) My son just turned 1 year old, and I'm down to 153!

Breastfeeding worked REALLY well for my weight loss. Be careful in the first few months to not restrict too much (I ate about 1800 calories per day when my son wasn't eating other solids), as you need to get your supply up. Message me if you want more tips about losing weight while BFing. :) I'd be happy to help. My son is still nursing 6-8x a day.
  • MissMel1984
    Options
    It depends on a few different things...fluids given in the hospital, etc. You will lose approx 15 pounds by the time the baby, fluid, etc are factored in. Depending on how long you stay there...one day to a few days will allow you to "pee" out the rest. You kidneys kinda have to work into overdrive to get rid of the extra fluids retained. Also, you are increasing your blood flow...that's weight right there too. I would look at more of a 6 week picture. I told myself....9 months up.....9 months down. I was at my base weight usually by month 5ish. Good luck!!!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options

I don't hate you! LOL. I am going to eat regularly for the first few months to establish my milk supply, and with dr.s consent, I will start restricting little by little. I'm going to TRY to lose while breast feeding, but we will cross that bridge when we get there! :wink:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically remember the pounds but I know I weighed less after birth of my youngest than when I got pregnant.
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    with my first not anything because I ate crap and was stuck in a binge eating funk and just all rubbish going on
    with my second I lost nearly 20lbs by the second week after giving, my son was 9lb 13, then all the fluid and what have you f keeping him safe was in that total and the rest well I breast feed and as you can imagine he was a big hungry boy and just ate the calories right off me
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I will be 24 weeks Thursday. With my other 2 preg. I prob lost 10- 15 at delivery and then another 5 in the first month as fluid retetion decreased. Start today- brisk walking and aiming to get 5-7 fruits and veggies and reasonable portions (with your doctors approval of course) to help with gaining through the rest of your pregnancy.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    from my last pregnancy I lost 18 pounds from the birth and 23 pounds the first 6 weeks from breastfeeding. Unfortunately I am overweight from my other pregnanncies though (I have 8 children). I would say I averaged a loss of about 15 pounds after each birth (not including BFing pounds lost afterward).
  • lciupa
    lciupa Posts: 48
    Options
    With my daughter(she is 3) I gained 40 pounds. I was unable to breastfeed her past 3 weeks. By that time I had already lost all 40 pounds.
    With my son (6 months) I gained 30 pounds, breast fed exclusively for 5 months. I lost all 30 pounds in 3 weeks with him as well.
    I had C-Sections with both(the first an emergency the second planned) and was not able to exercise at all for the first 6 weeks.

Drink as much fluids as you can, it really helps!

......now if I could only lose the 15 I wanted to lose before each pregnancy, and tone up...I would be golden!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    With my first pregnancy, I lost about 30 pounds, from my pre-delivery weight and my weight one week later. Of course, my son accounted for 10 of that, and I was retaining water like the Hoover Dam, and the rest I am sure was amniotic fluid, placenta, etc.

It was less my second time around (wasn't retaining water as badly, and he was only 8 pounds), but probably around 20 or so.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I lost about 12 from delivery... but dropped an additional 15 from breastfeeding..... and then gained some back when I stopped breastfeeding but was still eating like a linebacker :)
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    With my first baby, it took me 2 weeks to lose all the weight after delivery but then gained 10#s over 10 months because of breastfeeding and being hungry all the time.

With my second baby, it took me 3 months to steadily lose while breastfeeding. I'm still trying to lose another 5 pounds without decreasing my milk supply so its going to be a purposely slow weightloss.

Good luck with your wonderful blessing. Don't worry about weightloss, you're growing a human who needs nutrients!
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I gained 35 pounds and topped out at 155. I didn't immediately weigh myself after the birth but I would estimate I probably lost about 10-12 pounds. My mom, on the other hand, gained 32 and when she weighed herself after discharge, had lost 26 pounds. It took me about 5 months to lose it all (and the last 5 pounds only came off after a month of limiting myself to 1200 calories a day and doing some form of exercise 5-6 days a week).

I was so smug before I got pregnant, thinking I would gain between 20-25 pounds max, and lose it immediately after I had the baby and go home in my regular jeans. Not so. On top of the slow weight loss, I had thunder thighs and a potbelly I'm STILL whittling away at. My baby is almost 10 months old now.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My 4th baby just turned 9 months old. I weighed two lbs more when I left the hospital 4 days after his birth than I did when I checked in. I had a c-section and was retaining a lot of water during that time. I don't know exactly how much I lost during a specific time frame but had lost all but about 5-10 lbs by the time he was about 21/2-3 months old. My weight loss has been much slower since then. I do weight a few lbs less than my last pre-pregancy weight but want to lose 25-30 more.