Mardi Gras 2013

Options
Easywider
Easywider Posts: 434 Member
So I just finished booking my trip to this destination and a few others. I'll be staying from the 7th-13th a couple blocks off of Canal street.

Has anyone ever been to Carnival/Mardi Gras? Can you recommend any MUST see attractions? How about the absolute best food? Where are the places to be and when?

Thanks!

Replies

• LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I'm in a Mardi Gras Parade through the French Quarter on Feb 8. So much fun!
  • Easywider
    Options
    Nice!! Any recommendations/advice? I have never been to the N.O.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I have done Mardi Gras 4x - all pre Katrina - but here are my recommendations

get the Handgrenade drink at the Funky Pirate
    Get a Mufallata at Central Cafe
    Garlic cove in the Garden district for dinner - the garlic bread is awesome and the Fruitti del mar is awesome
    stay away from the hurricane drink at whatever that popular place is - it's only ok and way overpriced
    Court of the Two Sisters (do the little cafe instead of the full restaurant) and get the Po'boy
    If you are going to buy beads - go to the flea market by the river - cheaper than the stores on the strip

go out in the morning and enjoy a coffee and pastry thing - benia (however you spell it) , chill out for the day, take in the sights - come back late afternoon -get a mini nap in - get dinner then party your *kitten* off until you pass out and repeat
    advil with coconut water before bed, motion sickness pills with chocolate milk in the morning (and another advil as needed) - this regiment kept me going for days

There's more, I just can't think of it at the moment - you are going to have a lot of fun!
  • Easywider
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of that useful information! I've got it saved! ;]
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I've been to New Orlean's twice, not for big events, but I loved Mother's restaurant. The best bread pudding I've ever had. Thank goodness my hotel had a gym!
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth's restaurant in Bywater. Amazing food. It's a quick cab ride from the FQ. I lived in Nola for about 17 years and did many MG's. Bathrooms are gross, but peeing in the street is one of the few things that will get you arrested. Cafe au lait and begniets at Cafe du Monde are always good. The Gumbo Shop in the FQ is awesome and worth the wait.
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cafe Du Monde is a must for begniets and coffee.
    Crescent City Brew House is a great place too.
    If you like jazz music Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse is wonderful
    If you like metal I suggest The Dungeon (one of my favorite places in the city)
    BEST BLOODY MARY is at Pat O'Briens
    And I also suggest Palace Cafe they have excellent service, and if you like different try the turtle soup with sherry.
    If you like strippers I HIGHLY RECOMMEND RICK'S CABERET!!!!!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I lived in NO for much of my life. I recommend the Cafe DuMond for beinettes (sp?) The following two places are my favorites in the French Quarter and it's where the locals go.

The Coffee Pot
    714 St. Peter St. , New Orleans, LA 70116 [Map It]
    (504) 524-3500
    www.theoldcoffeepot.com

Neighborhood: French Quarter
    Attire: Casual
    Price Range: $12-$18
    Open For: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Sunday Brunch (Call ahead for hours)
    Cuisine Type/s: American, Creole

Description: Hearty breakfasts and Cajun specialities for lunch and dinner.
    Coop's Place
    1109 Decatur St., New Orleans, LA 70116 [Map It]
    (504) 525-9053
    www.coopsplace.net
  • LinzCurlyQ
    Options
    I've always been down there with my best friend who lives there, so we didn't do touristy stuff.

Look for the Prima Donna's on 2/8 around 1, and we'll be on the balcony until 5 (pm not am haha)

I agree. The Hurricane at Pat 'Os isn't that great, but the patio is fun.

I like to eat (which is why I'm on this site ha), so I have lists of my favorite places. They are all kinda pricey, so if you are interested send me a message and I'll list them out.

The Parades are fun, so I recommend watching a few especially the ones at night.

Beads are everywhere, so don't spend a lot of money them.

Our group has our own balcony on Bourbon, but I've heard an easy way to get to a balcony is to go to one of the strip joints.

Bourbon will be packed wall to wall, so be careful what you keep in your pockets.
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wallet front pocket had all sorts of people feeling my butt. Hope you like elbow to um backside of crowds. It's a crazy fun time but the crowd is ridiculous. I go during spring break or jazzfest now.
  • tdtl07
    tdtl07 Posts: 33
    Options
    I know this is probably an obvious one but definitely Bourbon Street! The hand grenades are killer. lol. Also Pat O Briens are well known for their hurricanes. Of course, if you go don't do me like me and drop your hurricane glass the minute you walk out the door and break it. lol. If you are not in the party scene, then you can do the River Walk or the French Quarter for shopping. Any restaurant in New Orleans would be fine! I have never found one that I haven't liked. Anything seafood or something dealing with jambalaya is always the choice for me! Hope you have a great time! By the way, I was born and raised in South Louisiana =)
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    New Orleans girl here...you are in for treat! You will probably eat and drink more than you ever have in your entire life. There's so many different ways to enjoy New Orleans...if you're a partier, then you will love Bourbon Street. But, for me, that gets old after the first couple of nights. While on Bourbon, my favorite places are 1. The Famous Door 2. Razoos 3. Cat's Meow 4. Tropical Isle 5. Pat O's. Now, if you're in the mood for something a little more swanky, the swizzle stick bar at the Loews hotel is very nice, but it's on Canal, not Bourbon.
    Food: Galitoires, on Bourbon, very old New Orleans, fancy, pricey. Acme Oyster House, chargrilled oysters...any kind of fried seafood, some good new orleans staples. You will get authentic New Orleans food. They have the best bread pudding for dessert. You should definitely make your way to Cafe Du Monde for some beignets. Mother's on Poydras for Po-Boys (sandwiches) delicious.
    Parades: A lot of people get caught up in partying and don't even see the parades. The parades are awesome, don't miss them. Saturday night is Endymion, Sunday night is Bacchus, and Monday is my favorite Orpheus. The floats are awesome...I promise you've never seen parades like these. There are parades all day on Sat. and Sunday and of Course Tuesday....they are all great, but the night parades are the best. The floats are all lit up and pretty. Oh, and if you manage to wake up early on Tuesday, you should definitely check out Zulu and try to catch a coconut.
    MOnday is Lundi Gras, and Spanish Plaza is the place to be for that. It's between the River walk and the Aquarium. There is a stage set up with live music and that's when Rex (the King of Mardi Gras) and the King of Zulu meet. it's very ceremonial...but lots of fun. Usually some of the best local bands are there. All free of charge.

I feel like I've written a book and there is so much more than this...feel free to add me or message me with any questions.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    My stomping ground,born and raised and still here,not going anywhere!
  • Easywider
    Options
    Wow this thread is a wealth of information. I've copy and pasted all of your responses to a word document for our group to review and plan accordingly. I'm the ring-leader who convinced his friends to pony up the cash to take this trip...so I want to ensure that we party our *kitten* off and sample everything worth seeing/tasting/hearing/touching/catching ect.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :smile:
  • erogers85
    erogers85 Posts: 32
    Options
    New Orleans girl here...you are in for treat! You will probably eat and drink more than you ever have in your entire life. There's so many different ways to enjoy New Orleans...if you're a partier, then you will love Bourbon Street. But, for me, that gets old after the first couple of nights. While on Bourbon, my favorite places are 1. The Famous Door 2. Razoos 3. Cat's Meow 4. Tropical Isle 5. Pat O's. Now, if you're in the mood for something a little more swanky, the swizzle stick bar at the Loews hotel is very nice, but it's on Canal, not Bourbon.
    Food: Galitoires, on Bourbon, very old New Orleans, fancy, pricey. Acme Oyster House, chargrilled oysters...any kind of fried seafood, some good new orleans staples. You will get authentic New Orleans food. They have the best bread pudding for dessert. You should definitely make your way to Cafe Du Monde for some beignets. Mother's on Poydras for Po-Boys (sandwiches) delicious.
    Parades: A lot of people get caught up in partying and don't even see the parades. The parades are awesome, don't miss them. Saturday night is Endymion, Sunday night is Bacchus, and Monday is my favorite Orpheus. The floats are awesome...I promise you've never seen parades like these. There are parades all day on Sat. and Sunday and of Course Tuesday....they are all great, but the night parades are the best. The floats are all lit up and pretty. Oh, and if you manage to wake up early on Tuesday, you should definitely check out Zulu and try to catch a coconut.
    MOnday is Lundi Gras, and Spanish Plaza is the place to be for that. It's between the River walk and the Aquarium. There is a stage set up with live music and that's when Rex (the King of Mardi Gras) and the King of Zulu meet. it's very ceremonial...but lots of fun. Usually some of the best local bands are there. All free of charge.

I feel like I've written a book and there is so much more than this...feel free to add me or message me with any questions.

I was born in nola and I still live here and I completely agree with all of the above advice! Definitely don't miss the parades- you will get to see a true slice of New Orleans culture. Don't forget to find some King Cake- Haydel's, Randazzo's, and Gambino's make the best!
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ohh If you guys want a nice upscale dinner night I suggest Antoine's very old New Orleans restaurant and the wait service is WOW EXCELLENT, their baked alaska is delicious!

And the Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone on Royal St

BE WARNED THAT NOLA IS A FOOD CITY!! lol
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've been to mardi gras a few times. I go to school in Louisiana and we get time off for it, no joke. I have a friend who lives close to New Orleans and has family there so we all get good seats. :D
    I'd stay off of bourbon street though- tourist city. WAY too crowded, and there aren't even any parades that go down there. Try Bourbon street off-season.
  • LinzCurlyQ
    Options

I was born in nola and I still live here and I completely agree with all of the above advice! Definitely don't miss the parades- you will get to see a true slice of New Orleans culture. Don't forget to find some King Cake- Haydel's, Randazzo's, and Gambino's make the best!

Oh my. We came home last year with 10 Randazzo's king cakes. NOT GOOD FOR THE DIET, but they are so good :blushing:
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    New Orleans is most definately a place that is not like any other! It has a little something for everyone! The following are JUST A FEW of my faves:

- Bloody Mary's - International Beer House (random, but delish!)
    - Port of Call has some of the best burgers. That is just about all they have, but they are amazing! Their drinks are great too!
    - Hand Grenades
    - Pat O's - Zombie, Hurricanes,
    - Crazy Johnny's is low scale, affordable, and has wonderful steaks
    - DRAGO's
    - Acme Oyster House
    - Carousel Bar at the Hotel Montelone
    - Oceanas (off of Bourbon, near the Bourbon Orleans) had amazing steaks at one time. I have not been there in a couple of years though. Their drinks were great as well.

There are soooo many great places to go and things to do in New Orleans! I hope you enjoy your trip!