body pump?

Options
This evening I am going to Body pump--- but don't know how to enter it in the exercise tracker. For those that don't know what body pump is-- it's like a weight lifting class that focuses on a muscle group per track and mixes in a little bit of cardio...any ideas on how to enter it?

Replies

• aliss820
    aliss820 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just went to the Body Pump website and it gave an estimation of how many calories you can burn. I estimated somewhere in the middle and added a new exercise under cardio. I need to get a heart rate monitor soon so I can really tell what I'm doing! I really like Body Pump and it is a GREAT workout!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find this info on the website at all. What did you estimate it at in the end?
  • stayingpositive100
    Options
    Anyone else take body pump--- I could use advice on how you enter the workout!!
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hey! I also do body pump classes regularly, and the estimated amount that you burn at my gym for this hour class is around 730 cals. I usually just put 550 to be safe, and make sure I stay under my calories. MFP allows you to enter exercises manually, if you just search body pump like you regularly would, and it comes up with no results, below the search it should say "Didnt find what you were looking for? Add an exercise" or something along those lines, you can then name a new exercise called body pump and put in the amount of cals! :) Hope this helps!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I teach bodypump, I'm fit, the most I burn per my hrm is 450. the more you push your weights and get your heart rate up the more you will burn. If you are loafing through it your burn would reflect it, if you're pushing at capacity you'll get more burn out of the workout.
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    When I went to Body Pump, I didn't know how to enter it, either. The website I looked at said anywhere from 500-700 calories per session, so I put 500, because I didn't want to overestimate.
  • melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I log my Body Pump as circuit training Have fun, you will LOVE it!!! :drinker:
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do BP regularly (couple times a week) and although it is with weights, its really more cardio due to the timing of reps/music etc - I wear my BodyMedia Fit and HRM (to make sure they are in sync) I would wear a HRM just like any other exercise becuase depending on how heavy the weights you have age/weight etc it will be different for everyone
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm so upset that I missed my class yesterday!! I'm going to definitely try going to another one this week! I'm doing so much in terms of cardio, that I really miss and need a class like this in my training schedule!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I log it as circuit training and for only 30 minutes which gives me around 400something calories burned. You can check out this link for more info: http://muscleevo.net/body-pump/ or you can look into this (very technical) study: http://www.lesmills.com/files/globalcentral/Agents/Research/Program Research/BODYPUMP Research Report.pdf
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I give myself about 350/hour for the licensed Les Mills bodypump (not much cardio), and I am working hard. Weightlifting as an activity just doesn't burn as much as cardio, but it's vital. If you are doing a version with much more cardio mixed in, I would think up to 500/hr.
  • RumblinDurango
    Options
    I personally entered 400 calories. Calorie burn is dependent on the person burning the calories, their heart rate, the amount of oxygen they consume, their familiarity with the routine, etc. If it's your first time, and you struggled and sweat and were good and sore and breathing heavy afterwards, chances are you probably worked at the upper level of the caloric range. If you didn't feel the rhythm of the workout, didn't really get into it, or are used to it and aren't adding weight, the lower level of the range is probably closer.

I don't run often, but I have always used the "1200 cal/hr" figure in my head to use as a basis to compare any exercise I do to running. I know how tired I am when I run for an hour straight. So based on how tired I am after running for an hour, and after doing body pump for an hour, I figured for me I would use 400 calories. I think I need to add more weight to my bar. :) ~ RD
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love that class! I'm 5' 2", 159 lbs, and with my HRM I burn between 250-307 calories during the 55 minute class. My HR goes up to the mid 150's during the squat/lunge track.
  • stayingpositive100
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help!! I have been to body pump before, but I am new to MFP and I want to enter it to as close as possible. Being that I am heavier (282-- blah I hate having to type that in!) I feel that I will burn more than 400, but I will put 500ish into my MFP. I don't have a heart rate monitor or body bug....yet, but I might make that a goal purchase--so that I can monitor my calories burned more accurately. Again, thank you for the help :)
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I took my first body pump class yesterday and, according to my HRM, I burned 556 cals in 56 minutes. Excellent workout!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love that class! I'm 5' 2", 159 lbs, and with my HRM I burn between 250-307 calories during the 55 minute class. My HR goes up to the mid 150's during the squat/lunge track.

Think I'll go for the lower end of this, thank you!
    I'm a bit taller/lighter than you and have done it for a year and half but I am lifting heavier than a lot of the class.

250 sounds most realistic and there is some stopping and starting throughout the class so I don't think I burn 400-500.
    It seems high to me when spin is full on and that's classed as 455cals.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I took my first body pump class yesterday and, according to my HRM, I burned 556 cals in 56 minutes. Excellent workout!

How do you feel today? I went today and had a different instructor than normal. That helped to shake things up a bit.
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sorry so late. I hate that we don't get notifications when people reply to our posts. I have to tell you, the day after that class was rough, but 2 days later, I felt even WORSE. I mean the most horrible soreness I've ever experienced; I couldn't move. I'd say it was quite the workout! I'm doing two more this week (with lower weights). I think I overestimated my strength the first class hahaha!
  • tsteven1
    tsteven1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Quick question - is there a way to enter calories when entering a new exercise? When I tried to create a new exercise called BodyPump it asked me for the number of repetitions, weight and sets, but there was no field for me to enter calories burned. I would love it if someone who has entered this already could let me know what I am doing wrong. Thank you so much!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi Tsteven,
    You were entering it under the strength training section--while it is definitely strength training, you need to find/enter it under cardio to include calories burned. That section is more a place for lifters to keep notes on exercises done, weight and reps. Hope this helps!
    -Valerie