Lifting and calorie intake:

Options
I have been stuck at the same weight for quite a while now and after reading the forums I realized I need to change my workout routine.
I typically do cardio for an hour about 5 times a week and do strength training about 3-4 tines a week for 30 minutes or so.
I am already at a healthy weight and BMI but I am looking to shed body fat and look more lean.
I am currently eating 1470(my bmr) along with all exercise calories which usually ends up being about 1900 calories a day.
If I stopped doing cardio would I need to eat my TDEE (1950) and only lift or should I just eat my bmr?

Someone please help me figure that out for I do not want to gain weight simply for calculating incorrectly
Thanks so much!!.

Replies

• Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Define your cardio work out? is it a HIIT? or just Jogging/Running for 1hr at a steady pace?
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    Usually running at a steady pace for the most part but I add in sprints throughout my run in order to get my heart rate up.
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    Bump
  • Hksalex
    Options
    Usually running at a steady pace for the most part but I add in sprints throughout my run in order to get my heart rate up.

i see well if u want you can try out, what i do..

Walk 5 mins to warm up..

30 second spring (90% intensity) as fast as u can
    60 second jog (10% intensity)

and just repeat for as long as u want

i usually do it for 30minutes

HIIT training will burn fat faster than just running at a steady pace..
  • gaerielsky
    gaerielsky Posts: 20
    Options
    You need to change your cardio. Switch it around so the body doesn't get used to what you're doing. I had a long discussion with my nutritionist about this. Once the body is used to something it's ineffective.

I was doing 30 min heavy cardio on the elliptical, level 16, personal trainer HIIT. Then doing 30 min on the weight machines... and nothing was coming off. I worked out like this 5x a week. And then went bike riding on the weekend.

She told me that because I always used the elliptical, even using HIIT didn't help. She is sending me back to the gym doing Treadmill, Stepper, Elliptical, Bike, Class, etc. and keep rotating them. Change them weekly if not daily.
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    Thank y'all for the input and advice!
    The only thing is I'm looking to change body composition rather then lose weight.
    I thought that if I lifted more And reduced my cardio I could achieve this.

Anyone else that lifts have any advice?
  • Hksalex
    Options
    You need to change your cardio. Switch it around so the body doesn't get used to what you're doing. I had a long discussion with my nutritionist about this. Once the body is used to something it's ineffective.

I was doing 30 min heavy cardio on the elliptical, level 16, personal trainer HIIT. Then doing 30 min on the weight machines... and nothing was coming off. I worked out like this 5x a week. And then went bike riding on the weekend.

She told me that because I always used the elliptical, even using HIIT didn't help. She is sending me back to the gym doing Treadmill, Stepper, Elliptical, Bike, Class, etc. and keep rotating them. Change them weekly if not daily.

i just increase the resistance on the elliptical. =] thats just me personally i only avoid the treadmill, for safety reasons
  • brookebelcher
    brookebelcher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump