Marathon Newbies Group anyone????

Options
Is there anyone interested in starting a first marathon group to post on training/get support when it gets to us???? even seasoned vets should offer advice and help??? Mine is on May 2nd 2010!!!!

Replies

• TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you are wiling to have someone who is only training for a half I would love to join
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    surely!!!! still grouped the same!!!!
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    I too am training for my very first half marathon.
    May 30, 2010.
    I would love to join in.
    Training buddies!!!
    FABULOUS!!!
    Thanks for starting this.

:happy:
  • FitJoani
    Options
    your welcome!!! it is a daunting race either way and we can use all the support we can!!!
  • running_girl_84
    Options
    ME ME ME!

I was planning on doing one on March 27th but now with the husband deploying early in the new year, training is going to take a back seat for the next few weeks. I am aiming for May 2nd as well. Tacoma City Marathon.
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've done 4 marthons and would love to offer any advice I've got. I'm doing Austin in February (half marathon) and the Mini marathon in Indianapolis in May.

I'm sticking with half marathons for a while but would love to support all of you on your maathon journey.
  • FitJoani
    Options
    ME ME ME!

I was planning on doing one on March 27th but now with the husband deploying early in the new year, training is going to take a back seat for the next few weeks. I am aiming for May 2nd as well. Tacoma City Marathon.
    we ase in very similar situations there as well...my boyfriend IS currently deployed. The running helps alot!!!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Me, me, me! I'm planning on 1/2 marathons in May and October, and thanks to Biggest Loser last night, I'm looking to do my first marathon next fall.
  • andspoff
    Options
    Hiya! I've never posted anything at all, but I would love to be part of this group! I've been training for about two months now....the Beaumont, TX Gusher Half Marathon!! :) Nice to meet all of you!
  • running_girl_84
    Options
    What training programs are you guys using?
  • stephcheers
    Options
    I would love to have a place to encourage and be encouraged while training. I am planning on doing my second 1/2 in Minneapolis June 6th.

~Steph :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 2nd marathon on May 1st!! I've also run 4 half marathons and done triathlons also.

Good luck and happy running! :bigsmile:
  • christine918
    Options
    Im gonna be running the music city half marathon in April! Maybe the full, I havent decided!
  • stephcheers
    Options
    Bumping.

I keep seeing other people posting that they are planning on running a 1/2 or full marathon and wanted them to not miss this thread.
    :wink:
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I would love to have a place to encourage and be encouraged while training. I am planning on doing my second 1/2 in Minneapolis June 6th.

~Steph :smile:
    I actiuallyy was gonna head out to partake myself.....an old culinary school reunion for my friends and i
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Id love to join! Ive done one half and have one planned in the spring/then one planned in the early. My goal is to do a marathon in the late fall of 2010!!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I'll be running one this spring too, but it may be a 50k....but who's really keeping score after 20 miles?

If it's a newbies group, I won't be a great fit. But if you want some advice I CAN help. I've done 13 marathons and tons of other crazy endurance stuff so I've experienced all the ups & downs of running. Feel free to ask any question at all, I would love to help.

Raymond
  • running_girl_84
    Options
    I'll be running one this spring too, but it may be a 50k....but who's really keeping score after 20 miles?

If it's a newbies group, I won't be a great fit. But if you want some advice I CAN help. I've done 13 marathons and tons of other crazy endurance stuff so I've experienced all the ups & downs of running. Feel free to ask any question at all, I would love to help.

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Okay so I've been running consistently for about 14 months now. I've done 2 half marathons and 1 10km race. My recent half marathon on Halloween I broke the 2 hour mark and finished in 1:57:12. I hear that when you do your first marathon, you should just aim to finish, not aim for a specific time. But I'm very time orientated. Like on every run I have a goal of how fast I want to finish that particular distance. So what do you recommend? Just training to finish the run? Or train to finish in a certain time? I want to do my first marathon in May and have a goal of 4 hours 30 minutes. I'm thinking that may be unrealistic. The marathon I am running has pacers and the 4 hours and 30min group is the slowest pace group.
    Thanks!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Excellent question, and I get it from ALL the marathon newbies.

Goals are great in life, but the first marathon it's simple.... finish. Keep it simple, and let you surprise yourself. I've seen 2 basic outcomes in first marathon experiences.

1) Mile ~20, the newbie is running out of steam, and just needs to walk a little. BUT... there goal, they have this added anxiety with this goal that they won't be accomplished if they do 4:35 instead of 4:30. You won't need any extra pressure at mile 20, trust me.

2) Mile ~20, everything feels great, I mean, really great and the crowds and everything give you this super-natural energy to "Go for it". Then, go! Let it be tailwinds all the way, and go for that time. It usually only translates to a few minutes, but finishing strong feels AWESOME!

Either way, the main goal is to ENJOY the race, enjoy your accomplishment, and take that added anxiety and expectation and save it for Marathon part dieux.

Hope it helps!
    Raymond
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Hi Raymond,

Okay so I've been running consistently for about 14 months now. I've done 2 half marathons and 1 10km race. My recent half marathon on Halloween I broke the 2 hour mark and finished in 1:57:12. I hear that when you do your first marathon, you should just aim to finish, not aim for a specific time. But I'm very time orientated. Like on every run I have a goal of how fast I want to finish that particular distance. So what do you recommend? Just training to finish the run? Or train to finish in a certain time? I want to do my first marathon in May and have a goal of 4 hours 30 minutes. I'm thinking that may be unrealistic. The marathon I am running has pacers and the 4 hours and 30min group is the slowest pace group.
    Thanks!

Ok, sorry to jump in here, but I hope I can help! I have run 4 half marathons and 1 full marathon. I'm currently training for my 2nd full marathon in May. My first marathon was a 4:33 (and I had severe IT band pain from mile 15 on so it was mainly a limp from that point on! :sick: ). My last half was a 1:55 but that was in May and I have been running a LOT better/ faster since then. I'm shooting for a 4 hour marathon time running w/ a friend who is trying to BQ (Boston Qualify).

I'm going to be using the FIRST training plan which is 3 days a week of running and cross training. I find that running more than that a week causes injuries for me (tendonitis!). Here is a link to the runnersworld program.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--11816-0,00.html

Just my opinion, find what works for you! I found that the speed, tempo, and long runs were a perfect balance for me while half marathon and triathlon training. I used the elliptical, biking, and swimming for cross training. And kept up weight training 2 days a week. :happy: Just be happy to finish your first marathon. That was my goal and I did it... even though w/ the IT band then I was off w/ no running for 3 months!!!!!!! :sad: