Heartrate Monitor is hurting me

Options
So....I have large breasts. I'm a 36 DD. My HRM has started to rub spots on my breasts where the chest strap transmitter is. I've had this HRM since January and it only recently in the past month started doing this. I wear the chest strap under my sports bras. Anyone else have this problem or have any solutions? At this point, I have to remember to put a bandaid over the spot or it rubs it raw. :/

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    my friend Heiley said she wears it round her stomach and it still reads, maybe lower it?
  • abbieobrien
    abbieobrien Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are wearing it high. I wear mine below my bra, just far enough so it doesnt touch the underside of my bra. I am 32FF so not small chested either.
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wear mine just below my bra too.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I wear it where the instructions said to place it. I wonder if it will read different lower.
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36e and have the HRM that goes with the forerunner 305, mine sits below my bra and has no trouble picking up HR
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I wear mine just below my sports bra. also, I get rubbed sometimes from other things and I use a powder to help keep the area more try to prevent any chafing/rubbing. It's helped wonders.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I wear mine below the bra line and it functions well. Hope you feel better!
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you can try positioning the transmitter off to the left side too (it doesn't have to be right front & center to work) that way the softer sides of the chest strap is under your "girls" rather than the hard plastic transmitter :)
  • strongnotskinny121
    Options
    you can try positioning the transmitter off to the left side too (it doesn't have to be right front & center to work) that way the softer sides of the chest strap is under your "girls" rather than the hard plastic transmitter :)

Really? I have a Polar FT7 and the chest strap has two sensors that it says are supposed to be positioned under each pectoral plate. The transmitter sits in between them. Thanks, I will keep this in mind, but I guess I"m going to try putting it lower first.
  • krisiepoo
    Options

Really? I have a Polar FT7 and the chest strap has two sensors that it says are supposed to be positioned under each pectoral plate. The transmitter sits in between them. Thanks, I will keep this in mind, but I guess I"m going to try putting it lower first.

Your heart is on the left side of your body so having 2 sensors under each breast plate is essentially useless.
  • strongnotskinny121
    Options

Your heart is on the left side of your body so having 2 sensors under each breast plate is essentially useless.

Well, duh, I know where my heart is, thanks. ;) But when I workout I can feel it pounding in the right side also, considering isn't that where the pulmonary artery or something goes to the lungs?
  • krisiepoo
    Options

Well, duh, I know where my heart is, thanks. ;) But when I workout I can feel it pounding in the right side also, considering isn't that where the pulmonary artery or something goes to the lungs?

Sure, if your heart rate monitor was under your clavicle where the pulmonary artery is :)
  • strongnotskinny121
    Options

Sure, if your heart rate monitor was under your clavicle where the pulmonary artery is :)

clavical or sternum? How does the artery go way up to my collar bone? Like I said, I can feel my heart pounding when I put my hand on my right ribs when I'm maxed out, so it would seem to reason the other sensor needs to be there to get a good reading.

CINjay, have you every moved your HRM strap like that and still got a good reading or were you just trouble shooting?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i've never had that problem, sounds very unpleasant. I've found you don't have to have it too tight for it to work, wondering if making it a little looser will help! x
  • gleechick609
    gleechick609 Posts: 551
    Options
    There have been times where I got a brush burn from the strap because it was too tight. Can you loosen it? How about trying "Body Glide" anti chaffing gel?
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    There have been times where I got a brush burn from the strap because it was too tight. Can you loosen it? How about trying "Body Glide" anti chaffing gel?

I was going to mention that - but I wonder if the chemicals in the BodyGlide will interfere with the sensor.
  • strongnotskinny121
    Options
    I've tried wearing it a couple inches lower, but did a new workout today and I'm unsure what a normal burn would be. I will wear it low again when I go running tomorrow. I don't think it's an issue of the strap being to tight, it's not where the strap is that the sores are. We will see how tomorrow goes.

Thanks all! :) I do appreciate the ideas.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Well it cannot be that useless, because it works when placed in that position.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options

clavical or sternum? How does the artery go way up to my collar bone? Like I said, I can feel my heart pounding when I put my hand on my right ribs when I'm maxed out, so it would seem to reason the other sensor needs to be there to get a good reading.

CINjay, have you every moved your HRM strap like that and still got a good reading or were you just trouble shooting?

I've worn it front, backwards and side - just to see if it would work cuz I'm weird like that lol - and got readings each time. It might be different for different HRM's; mine's a relatively "cheap" model though and it seems fine. And although I only tried it once in the alternative positions, I generally put it on with the hard plastic transmitter in the centre and the two contacts under each breast, under the sports bra. I (unfortunately) haven't been blessed with much more than "speed bumps" so they don't give me grief :blushing:
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    BODYGLIDE!!!!! Saved my boobs from bra cutting into them and now my hrm has been digging into my chest and it works great for that too. Just smear it over the bottom of your boobs, you won't feel it, it is clean. Washes off easy in the shower.