Is doing ab exercises everyday alright?

Options
I joined a new gym near my house at the beginning of June. I have been using this site for about 3 weeks now, with success. The problem I am having is that my problem area is my mid-section and I figure ab workouts would be of great help in this regard. I had always heard that it was alright to do ab work everyday, but the trainer at the gym said it is better to skip a day. Unfortunately, I am just not getting the results in my mid-section area that I would have expected by now and am wondering if going ahead and doing ab exercises everyday would help.

Anyone had any positive experience in this regard?

Thanks! :wink: :wink:

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I was told once that they can be worked everyday without problem.
    I am currently working out my whole body everyday and sore muscles are not happening and if I do need a rest I take one but I listen to my body.
    If it screams at me to stop, I stop.

Do what feels right for you.

Good Luck
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    They are muscles like any other, but I doubt you will be able to overload them severely enough that you run into a problem. Especially since many people don't train them in an isometric fashion.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I joined a new gym near my house at the beginning of June. I have been using this site for about 3 weeks now, with success. The problem I am having is that my problem area is my mid-section and I figure ab workouts would be of great help in this regard. I had always heard that it was alright to do ab work everyday, but the trainer at the gym said it is better to skip a day. Unfortunately, I am just not getting the results in my mid-section area that I would have expected by now and am wondering if going ahead and doing ab exercises everyday would help.

That seems like too much. Like most muscles, you should only work abs 2-3 times per week. Also, are you doing various core exercises, or just 'abs'? If just abs, I recommend you expand your routine to also bring in other core work.

But really, every day is too much for any muscle, except (from what I heard a loooong time ago) the calves. Apparently, you can work your calves every day, because they're designed to be used heavily every day - a la, walking.

Recently, there have been some studies that suggest that fat near an exercised muscle does tend to metabolize faster than fat in other areas, so your thinking in that regard is solid. But assuming you are, over the course of the entire week, working your entire body, you have all your bases covered.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Can you make it harder? Like instead of doing 100 situps, hold a plate weight over your head and do situps until you can't.

Then when that gets easy, use a heavier plate.

It could just be that your tummy fat is hanging on for dear life :laugh: Keep working at it.

I've also heard that eating a higher amount of fat, say 30 percent of your calories, can help keep a trim waist. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but it is delicious.

EDIT i have also been told that ab workouts can be done every day. The way i see it, if it stings/burns/hurts, give yourself a day off. otherwise, go for it.
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    your ab muscels are a smaller muscle group and can be worked and recover every day. However, if your goal is to reduce the size of your midsection, ab workouts will not help too much. You cannot spot train. In fact, you should probably be emphasizing work on larger muscle groups, think quads, chest and back, to gain more muscle and consequently burn and lose fat. I would recomend a good full body work out 3 times per week, you will have lots more success with that and a cardio program...

have fun
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is fine to work your core everyday. Heck we all work our core by standing or walking, so doing some extra exercises daily is not going to be a problem.

Your trainer is right if you are trying to build some serious muscle. But in order for that to happen, you would be too sore to reasonably workout two days in a row. If you are not experiencing much muscle soreness, adding in some extra core exercises would not be a problem at all.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You will NEVER lose fat around your mid section by doing ab exercises. You will get some nice abs hidden behind fat. The ONLY way you are going to lose fat is with cardio. A lot of it, often. Interval training is the best. Don't just jog at a steady pace, but add ups and downs.

I suggest you join a specialty gym that does boot camp/interval training type work outs. At least for a month or two. You will learn how to do that workout on your own and you won't need to pay for it. and it will be expensive, probably about $100/month.

But doing crunches won't help you lose fat around your waist! Jump on the treadmill or elliptical for at least 30 minutes, at a brisk pace!

Good luck,

Mike
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What results were you hoping to see by doing ab exercises?

If you are trying to lose weight in your stomach then you won't be able to spot reduce there anyway. If you are going for fat loss, you have to lose it everywhere.The fat on the stomach will come off eventually. Keep in mind, diet is extremely important even more important than exercise.

Ab exercises are great but I would suggest you exercise your whole body. Your core will be getting worked in a lot of non-ab specific exercises as well. Planks, pushups, squats all work your stomach.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have a problem - little chance of hurting them - but as already stated here, you need to listen to your body. It will tell you when you should take a break. If it hurts to sneeze, you need to take a day off. Also already mentioned here - you cannot "spot train."

But there's an issue you need to take into consideration: you might already have a six-pack... you just can't see 'em yet.

Underneath the layer of blubber I am struggling mightily to eradicate, I am shredded! I can feel the muscles there - waiting to become visible.

They say "diet & exercise" for a reason - the two work in tandem to create change. You are on your way, so stay the course!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

The only way to get rid of the "mid-section" is by eating the right foods and by controlling your portions and calories. Abs exercises will not solve your problem until you (me, and/or everybody else), get rid of the fat that is covering the abdominal muscles, and exercise alone will not cut it. Three weeks is not enough time to get the results that you want, so have patience and keep on going.

Sorry for being so blunt but I don't want you to be discourage or get the impression that lots of crunches are the magic solution. Abs are mostly made in the kitchen..
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    your ab muscels are a smaller muscle group and can be worked and recover every day. However, if your goal is to reduce the size of your midsection, ab workouts will not help too much. You cannot spot train. In fact, you should probably be emphasizing work on larger muscle groups, think quads, chest and back, to gain more muscle and consequently burn and lose fat. I would recomend a good full body work out 3 times per week, you will have lots more success with that and a cardio program...

have fun

This is great advice. If you have a decent amount of weight to lose, you can't see your abs anyway so working them at all is fairly pointless. Doing bigger and better exercises will burn more calories which will result in more fat being shed. This is what you want. Don't worry about your abs at all, all the ab exercise in the world isn't going to do anything regarding the fat around them. That's why you're not seeing any results. Do full-body exercises or cardio or something more effective. Focus on your diet first, losing fat is mostly about your diet and not exercise.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    a friend showed me his ab workout on thursday and it wasn't until sunday I felt like I could do ANYTHING!. PAIN but good pain...
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that abs can be worked everyday as well!

However, I tend do do a workout like ab ripper x every other day, and then focus on my back and do planks on the other days.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    What results were you hoping to see by doing ab exercises?

If you are trying to lose weight in your stomach then you won't be able to spot reduce there anyway. If you are going for fat loss, you have to lose it everywhere.The fat on the stomach will come off eventually. Keep in mind, diet is extremely important even more important than exercise.

Ab exercises are great but I would suggest you exercise your whole body. Your core will be getting worked in a lot of non-ab specific exercises as well. Planks, pushups, squats all work your stomach.

NO more to add ^^ wonderful answer
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No! Keep it to two or three times a week. Only exception, if you're doing light total body work everyday with a program like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30. Then yes, that's okay. Otherwise, your abs need to rest just like any other muscles in your body!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen!!! 30% gym / 70% diet :flowerforyou:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The problem I am having is that my problem area is my mid-section and I figure ab workouts would be of great help in this regard.

You can't trim fat in your midsection with abdominal exercise anymore than you can dry out one corner of a sponge while ignoring the water in the rest of it. I think it's already been stated but you can't categorize fat as leg fat or abdominal fat. As far as your body is concerned it's just in one compartment. You have to burn through it all at once. Exercise and eat on a slight calorie deficit. Nothing wrong with making your abs stronger but you won't see them till your body fat is under 20%.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I am doing alternating upper and lower body workouts on the machines at the gym every other day and I include at least 30-45 minutes of cardio on those same days. The abs get worked on the days with the lower body. During the "off" days, I have been doing Zumba or Jillian Michaels. I guess it is just going to take time to see my waistline again! I am very concerned due to hereditary heart issues having a lot of extra weight in this area, but I assume, from what everyone has said, the with consistent exercise it will work itself off eventually! I appreciate the input! :smile: