I almost went back to an old love of mine today

Options
digitalbill
digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
As I drove to Barnes and Noble at lunchtime, I saw her.
Glistening in red and beconing me with that sweet smell that I missed so much.
I started to sweat as the thoughts raced thru my mind.
What if my wife found out?
How could I look in the mirror at myself if I did this?
I have worked so hard for everything just to throw it all away on a fling with an old love.

So, with a final glance to say "Goodbye", I drove on.
So long Five Guys Burgers. It was fun but alas, that was another life....

Replies

• HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Awwwwh.... Thought you might say Krispy Creme Doo-Nuts... Those are Don't-Nuts. Good for you dude. Good job resisting the old flame.....
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    awwweeee YOUR wife will be so proud of you :) Great job
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Going back never works! No matter how much you want to, how good the memories are - going back...just a big disappointment in the end.

Great job on resisting the siren call on that one.
  • StopherJJ
    StopherJJ Posts: 79
    Options
    I know the feeling all to well! There is nothing like it. Kudos though! Big time!!!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    its so hard, i feel you on this one. my weakness is in n out burgers. sigh, its been over a month and i still cant believe it. i bet you felt amazing after though right!?

23mAiZR.jpg23mAm7.png
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad.

You can live a healthy life AND have 5 Guys now and again.

I do.

I would never NEVER sign on for a lifestyle that makes me deny myself 5 Guys forever. NEVER.

The good news is: I don't have to.

Things I can and do eat while maintaining my goal weight for 1.5 years so far:
    Ice cream. Full fat, high octane, real ice cream
    alcohol. Jameson's, to be exact.
    fast food. I go to all of the places, I don't like McD's, but I go everywhere else.
    cake. real cake, made with real frosting
    bacon
    cheese
    bacon cheese burgers
    french fries
    pasta
    nuts
    donuts
    candy
    cheesecake
    any other forbidden foods you think you can't have? YES You CAN.

You just have to earn the calories they will use up.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Congrats for Resisting the Urge! Hilarious the way you played it out. Good story :)
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    As I drove to Barnes and Noble at lunchtime, I saw her.
    Glistening in red and beconing me with that sweet smell that I missed so much.
    I started to sweat as the thoughts raced thru my mind.
    What if my wife found out?
    How could I look in the mirror at myself if I did this?
    I have worked so hard for everything just to throw it all away on a fling with an old love.

So, with a final glance to say "Goodbye", I drove on.
    So long Five Guys Burgers. It was fun but alas, that was another life....

Been there and will be there many times more! Good job staying strong!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad.

I do.

I would never NEVER sign on for a lifestyle that makes me deny myself 5 Guys forever. NEVER.

fast food. I go to all of the places, I don't like McD's, but I go everywhere else.
    bacon
    cheese
    bacon cheese burgers
    french fries
    pasta
    nuts
    donuts
    candy
    cheesecake

I hate cake... true story ;) be jealous :)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but in this case, if you plan for the affair then it's not really cheating.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Meh. The burgers are ok. Nothing special though. Their fries are better than the burgers.
  • hamsio
    hamsio Posts: 26
    Options
    Good on you.

I think sometimes its knowing you have the control to keep on keeping on and not stop. Knowing in the past you would have stopped and delved into the unhealthy goodness.. Im finding my new willpower really awesome and often have moments when im just so proud of myself for resisting something I would not have even tried to in the past.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Smashburger? Holy crap. It's amazing. I love their little onion shreds.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Meh. The burgers are ok. Nothing special though. Their fries are better than the burgers.

I like the variety of available toppings, and you're right, the fries are the best part. They kick In and Out's ASSSSSSSSSS
  • BabyLeila23
    BabyLeila23 Posts: 410
    Options
    Haha good job
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Never tried Five Guys, but as a burger lover, I can appreciate the strength that took. Good on ya!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad.

I do.

bacon
    cheese
    bacon cheese burgers
    french fries
    pasta
    nuts
    donuts
    candy
    cheesecake

i think for a lot of people, myself included, is that one meal there can lead to a slippery slope, or a binge. i cant go to in n out and NOT get the fries, but my meal alone is almost my entire days worth of calories and twice the sodium- in my head i cant possibly justify that and it would put me in a shame spiral, i'd rather avoid it all together while i'm still really weak and susceptible to a major relapse of fatty habits lol. so i totally get the OPs feelings about passing up the desire to get 5guys.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    in my head i cant possibly justify that and it would put me in a shame spiral, i'd rather avoid it all together while i'm still really weak and susceptible to a major relapse of fatty habits lol. so i totally get the OPs feelings about passing up the desire to get 5guys.

I always speak up in threads like these for this very reason. That belief is, as you said it perfectly, in your head. There is no reason at all that anyone should feel shame over their food choices, once they've learned they can compensate for high-calorie intake with extra exercise.

Everyone has to decide for themselves how much they want to eat, and how much they want to exercise, but denying one's self the treats they really want is a huge reason why a lot of people don't stick to lifestyle changes in the long run. They believe they have to white-knuckle will power their way through it. That only lasts so long.

The ability to compensate for higher intake through greater levels of exercise is like magic. It means you never have to deny yourself ever again. You now get to choose what is worth it, in terms of caloric cost. Some foods are always going to be worth the extra effort, in my book. Some aren't.

Now that I know how much effort it takes to get those calories burnt off, I rarely waste my calories on junky foods unless I really think the indulgence is worth it. But the freedom to decide that I DO want a giant bowl of ice cream, and to decide ahead of time that I'm going to have it, and then go to the gym to make sure my deficit stays intact, THAT"S magic.