Cutting carbs

Options

Replies

• summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    OMG u nailed it. since re-joining MFP i have been in carb overload. I love them but they dont love me vack. ive been at it for almost 90 days and my weight is barely moving. Also doing Eating more to lose weight but think I need to eat more of my calories from protein.. the fat part is what worrie sme. Ive done low carb in the past and lost weight without ANY exercise. It was atkins to be exact so there was a TON of fat but no refined carbs.. Scared to go back that route bc fat is HIGH in calories, but know Im definitely consuming WAAAY too many carbs now.
  • waj_b
    waj_b Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    hi,

going on a low carb diet will not produce long term results... yes you will loose weight quicker but it will also come back quicker.
    the most simple and advised way to loose weight would be to determine the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight. minus 15-20% max of your maintenance calories and you should loose anywhere between 1-2lbs a week. All you need to do is be in a calorie deficit. and remember if you decide to eat a burger or kebab.. you have to minus the calories of your daily amount. so eat cleaner so you can eat more :)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I haven't been convinced by any research that suggests that while in a caloric deficit, low carb is better at burning fat in the long term.

I tried low carb for a few months. I personally didn't like it, but I recognize that other people do. I was, however, a little amused by the atkins book I was reading where it sort of casually mentioned several chapters in that "Oh, yeah. You still need to eat in a caloric deficit, though." I'm paraphrasing, but I literally lol'd.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no advantage as compared to simply cutting calories.
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Are we talking the same amount of calories?

For me eating 2000 calories with low carbs is alot more satisfying than 2000 calories with high carbs. Try eating 20 ounces of pure chicken breast and few cups of brocolli for a total of ~500 calories. I struggle to stuff a meal like that down in an hour. Eating a 2000 cal high carb high fat pizza on the other hand I can consume in a matter of 15 minutes and feel like I have room for a tub or two of ice cream.

The moral of my story, I believe that when cutting weight (or calories) it is alot more satisfying to keep yourself feeling full by filling your calories with less carbs and more protein or even fats. It is important though to know that you will lose a few lbs of water weight if you stay on low carb for a few days. So the statement of "you are bound to gain back more weight when you get off low carb" is true, but it isn't true that you will gain body weight, rather just that water that you didn't hold on to.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I'm on a low carb lifestyle and my ticker says it all.

98 pounds gone in 10 months! =)

This - and that's awesome! Great job!

Carbs suck. It's a fact. Higher protein and lower carbs works, without a doubt. Basically, if you completely get rid of bread, pasta, and rice, and get your carbs from veggies and fruits, you'll be fine, and you'll drop fat.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thought this study from a couple weeks back was relevant:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120626/all-calories-not-created-equal-study-suggests

"The testing confirms that they burned about 300 calories more a day when following the very-low-carb eating plan compared to the low-fat plan, and about 150 calories more on the low-glycemic index diet compared to the low-fat plan"

That's an extra 2.5lbs per month of extra calories burned from eating low-carb over low-fat.

For me eating 2000 calories with low carbs is alot more satisfying than 2000 calories with high carbs. Try eating 20 ounces of pure chicken breast and few cups of brocolli for a total of ~500 calories. I struggle to stuff a meal like that down in an hour. Eating a 2000 cal high carb high fat pizza on the other hand I can consume in a matter of 15 minutes and feel like I have room for a tub or two of ice cream.

The moral of my story, I believe that when cutting weight (or calories) it is alot more satisfying to keep yourself feeling full by filling your calories with less carbs and more protein or even fats. It is important though to know that you will lose a few lbs of water weight if you stay on low carb for a few days. So the statement of "you are bound to gain back more weight when you get off low carb" is true, but it isn't true that you will gain body weight, rather just that water that you didn't hold on to.
    +20
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

So you prefer lower carbs and this keeps you better satiated. That is great, and it's important for everyone to devise a system that keeps them satisfied. Personally, I eat plenty of carbs and overall I'm still satiated, and this is sustainable for me. I wouldn't lose weight faster or better by lowering carbs.
  • waj_b
    Options
    im
  • waj_b
    Options
    hi,

going on a low carb diet will not produce long term results... yes you will loose weight quicker but it will also come back quicker.
    the most simple and advised way to loose weight would be to determine the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight. minus 15-20% max of your maintenance calories and you should loose anywhere between 1-2lbs a week. All you need to do is be in a calorie deficit. and remember if you decide to eat a burger or kebab.. you have to minus the calories of your daily amount. so eat cleaner so you can eat more :)

So you're on a reduce calorie diet? What would happen if you went off your reduced calorie diet?

im just maintaining at the moment as i have a catwalk on friday. but the simple logic that is for 90-95% of people (other 5-10% of people being with amazing genetics i think i may be one of them :P) is that you need to be in a calorie deficit to loose weight and in a calorie surplus to gain muscle/weight.
    you wont have the same bad affects as your only decreasing you calories by 10-20% (should be no more than 20%) .. theres no huge difference.. you aint suffering or feeling overly hungry or depleted. if you came off the diet.. depending on your calories.. you would either maintain or put on weight at the normal rate.
    remember fat loss isnt a quick fix.. if you have really quick results as with very low to 0 carbs they wont last long. just reduce your calories to up2 20%.. your choice.. and you will shed weight over time no matter what. do not eat even fewer calories that fitness pal has calculated for you, and if you want to eat more.. exercise or be active.. every calorie you burn you can eat more in that day and it wont matter.
    also you dont have to eat 100% healthy.. just know that if you eat a big fat juicy burger.. thats alot of calories to waste for the day.. you next few meals are going to be smaller.
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    hi,

Not meaning to argue with you, but your carbs contribute to your calories. 1g of carbs is about 4 calories. Personally, I don't believe in cutting carbs out indefinitely. (I wouldn't be able to live the rest of my life without SOME carbs! Lol!) Your body uses carbs for energy. If you eat too many or if you eat unhealthy carbs, your body turns it to fat and stores it. What I do, I don't put a limit on my carbs. I just choose healthier options. As a result, I wind up eating way under my carb goal for the day. It just comes natural if you eat healthy enough. And of course, if your body doesn't have enough carbs, it will burn through your fat (where carbs go anyway when you have too many). So, of course if you lower your carbs or cut them out completely, you'll lose fat...a lot of it. But I just choose to eat the healthier carbs, and it's working for me so far! I also add a little exercise in there ;)
  • waj_b
    Options
    x
  • waj_b
    Options
    hi,

Not meaning to argue with you, but your carbs contribute to your calories. 1g of carbs is about 4 calories. Personally, I don't believe in cutting carbs out indefinitely. (I wouldn't be able to live the rest of my life without SOME carbs! Lol!) Your body uses carbs for energy. If you eat too many or if you eat unhealthy carbs, your body turns it to fat and stores it. What I do, I don't put a limit on my carbs. I just choose healthier options. As a result, I wind up eating way under my carb goal for the day. It just comes natural if you eat healthy enough. And of course, if your body doesn't have enough carbs, it will burn through your fat (where carbs go anyway when you have too many). So, of course if you lower your carbs or cut them out completely, you'll lose fat...a lot of it. But I just choose to eat the healthier carbs, and it's working for me so far! I also add a little exercise in there ;)

lol i know they contribute to calories.. almost everything does. i was sayin not to go on a very low or 0 carb diet because its not practical long term and you will only gain back the weight just as fast if not faster. also if your low carbing for a specific event, the low carb or 0 carb should not last longer than 4 days or your body will stop the fat burning process hence in comes a high carb day or cheat day/meal to trick you body and keep it in a fat burning state. also the reason why you loose so much weight in the first 7-14 days is because you loose alot of water weight.
    eating healthy is definitely better for long term health.. but if you eat bad food/carbs and your still within your goal you wont put on weight.. but their are downsides to that.
    and always have a protein source with every meal.. never have carbs on its own. some people over do it with healthy fats i.e. peanut/almond butter nuts etc.. they are very dense and carry alot of calories.. some people should weigh them just so they get an idea.
  • Jessicajoyus
    Jessicajoyus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    nice!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories causes you to lose weight, whether you cut carbs, protein or fat. If you have specific digestion problems with carbohydrates that was causing an unusual amount of bloating then a lot of what you lost could be water. But it's unlikely you lost 13 lb of water. It's also unlikely it was 13 lbs of fat. What ratio of fat vs muscle you are losing depends how you exercise and your overall diet (not just carbs).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thought this study from a couple weeks back was relevant:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120626/all-calories-not-created-equal-study-suggests

"The testing confirms that they burned about 300 calories more a day when following the very-low-carb eating plan compared to the low-fat plan, and about 150 calories more on the low-glycemic index diet compared to the low-fat plan"

That's an extra 2.5lbs per month of extra calories burned from eating low-carb over low-fat.

That's the Harvard study, right? Didn't it also show that the low-carb had the most negative health impact?
    "The best diet from a metabolic perspective was the low-carbohydrate diet, but there were downsides," Ludwig says

Levels of the stress hormone cortisol and C-reactive protein -- an indicator of inflammation in the body -- were higher during the low-carb phase of the study.

"The metabolic benefits of this diet may be undermined by more inflammation and higher cortisol, both of which can increase [heart disease and stroke] risk over time," Ludwig says.

The results of the study pointed to a Low GI has the heatlhiest overall. Of course, it is just one study in a pool of many.
  • waj_b
    Options
    hi,

So you're on a reduce calorie diet? What would happen if you went off your reduced calorie diet?

im just maintaining at the moment as i have a catwalk on friday. but the simple logic that is for 90-95% of people (other 5-10% of people being with amazing genetics i think i may be one of them :P) is that you need to be in a calorie deficit to loose weight and in a calorie surplus to gain muscle/weight.
    you wont have the same bad affects as your only decreasing you calories by 10-20% (should be no more than 20%) .. theres no huge difference.. you aint suffering or feeling overly hungry or depleted. if you came off the diet.. depending on your calories.. you would either maintain or put on weight at the normal rate.
    remember fat loss isnt a quick fix.. if you have really quick results as with very low to 0 carbs they wont last long. just reduce your calories to up2 20%.. your choice.. and you will shed weight over time no matter what. do not eat even fewer calories that fitness pal has calculated for you, and if you want to eat more.. exercise or be active.. every calorie you burn you can eat more in that day and it wont matter.
    also you dont have to eat 100% healthy.. just know that if you eat a big fat juicy burger.. thats alot of calories to waste for the day.. you next few meals are going to be smaller.

My point i am trying to make anytime you go back to your older habits you will gain back the weight. I am sure you have done cutting cycles. If you want to maintain the body fat % you gained you're not going to increase your calories back to normal.

Doesn't matter which fat loss method you use, if you go back to your old ways you will gain your weight back.

i never go above say 8% bodyfat all year.. and thats with alot of cheating here and there... the reason why someone is overweight is because they eat tooooooo much... so going to back to 'normal' isnt really going to back to eating TOO much. you just eat your normal 3 meals.. exercise here and there and no you wont be overweight again.
    when i come out of dieting i just go bk from 3% anywhere up to 8%.. body dont hold any more because i dont overeat every hour every day.
    also my calories are at a 'normal' level... i havnt decreased them.. i just refrain from overeating all the time.. and trust me i do overeat at times and eat what i 'shouldn't' if you want to overeat.. you need to exercise or have an active job.
    and fatloss method of just decreasing 15-20% of your current calorie intake is not out of the norm anyway. its probably still more than the person should be eating at the height and age.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Totally true. I have lost sixty pounds of water following a low carb regimen since January of this year. No fat at all. Just water...:glasses:
  • benegesserit
    Options
    It probably depends. I am trying to stay between 50-100 gm carb a day, more on the 50 end. But everybody's different.