Cheap quick and easy protein

Options
Guitarjon
Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
Just changed some of the standard mfp numbers so my food intake is made up of 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat.

Never used to struggle reaching my protein goal but either I'm eating different stuff or the initial targets set from mfp were very low. I'm left today still needing about 45 grams of protein. Problem is I'm bust on fats.

I'd like to do it natural so no shakes. What do I do cook some chicken breast. I ha some tuna on brown bread yesterday but still not enough. Love nuts but they also come with fat.

Replies

• mberes56
    mberes56 Posts: 7
    Options
    Egg whites and greek yogurt!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, quick, easy and protein dense. Feel free to peruse my diary, i usually take in 250+ grams of protein without much whey at all.
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    wuo not bad!!! any suggestion for lose weght fast?
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    This is me, not making jokes on this thread.

I commend you, I fully expected something vulgar.

Also, I have to same problem OP, so I'm hoping people have solutions...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The sky won't fall if you go over your fat a little. Or your carbs.

I tend to just have larger than normal servings of protein (and having said that, I hope the "not making vulgar jokes" trend continues... crap, I just busted myself, didn't I?), so it's not a problem to get close to my goal.

And sometimes, I like having a shake or protein bar, because they're tasty. Especially the bars, because it satisfies my "want a candy bar" urge.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    There have been suggestions of quick and easy protein fixes but what about cheap? I'm on a very limited budget, before really getting in to MFP I'd only eat meat once a week and that was pretty much my whole protein intake. I really try now to increase but even on a really good day I'll only get to maybe 35g's max,
    What is the cheapest lean protein?
  • tommytorquestick
    Options
    I eat a lot of tuna, right out of the can.

No jokes here either but tuna is cheap, full of protein, no carbs or fat, and I really like tuna. I eat a lot of eggs too and natural peanutbutter, but since I've been using MFP I've realized that peanutbutter-even the natural stuff-has a lot of fat.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    but since I've been using MFP I've realized that peanutbutter-even the natural stuff-has a lot of fat.

Nut fat is good fat though

C'mon GC, take the bait already!
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    LMAO....:drinker: I can't believe that the sarcastic awesomeness that is GC has held out this long!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Any lean meat (including fish), egg whites, low or non-fat cottage cheese are virtually pure protein.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options

Again.... not making jokes. And it's killing me.
    You are doing great...keep it up ;)
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love fish so when I need some good protein, I go for some sashimi. A little packs a lot of protein since it's raw and no additives. :smile:
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Nonfat Greek yogurt. Beans/lentils.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    You can make your own greek yogurt if it's expensive in your area. It has a slightly less creamy texture, but like $1.80 for a half gallon (You lose about half of the volume when you strain it).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There have been suggestions of quick and easy protein fixes but what about cheap?

I get boneless skinless chicken breast only when it's on sale for $1.99 a pound. A pound of chicken breast is roughly 100g of protein.

I'd call that pretty cheap.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    LMAO....:drinker: I can't believe that the sarcastic awesomeness that is GC has held out this long!!

I think he passed out from all the hysterical laughter he was trying to stifle. :wink:
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm on a budget and try to get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day. Here are some of my staples:

Plain, 0% fat, Greek yogurt topped with granola and berries
    2% cottage cheese topped with fruit
    Ground Turkey, 99% fat free...you can make tacos, sloppy joes, asian lettuce wraps, stroganoff....you can do all sorts of things with it!
    I often mix a can of black beans and rotel together, add a grilled chicken breast or a couple of poached eggs and serve the whole thing over a bed of baby spinach.
    Second the tuna. Sometimes I put some on a huge salad with a nice balsamic or apple cider vinegar dressing and some orange segements. I also make patties out of them: add an egg and some panko bread crumbs and fresh herbs. Serve on a giant bed of baby spinach with some roulade or balsamic for flavor.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Again.... not making jokes. And it's killing me.
    You are doing great...keep it up ;)
    I'm waiting for his eye to start twitching.
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    There have been suggestions of quick and easy protein fixes but what about cheap? I'm on a very limited budget, before really getting in to MFP I'd only eat meat once a week and that was pretty much my whole protein intake. I really try now to increase but even on a really good day I'll only get to maybe 35g's max,
    What is the cheapest lean protein?

tuna, canned.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Easy: lean meats and fish. And whole eggs and just egg whites, low or non-fat cottage cheese mixed with fruit.
    Go to the market and load up on poultry breast, beef sirloin, salmon, dolphin and stuff like that.
    You can cook these meats so many fabulous ways.
    Good Luck!