Cheap quick and easy protein

Options
2»

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    There have been suggestions of quick and easy protein fixes but what about cheap? I'm on a very limited budget, before really getting in to MFP I'd only eat meat once a week and that was pretty much my whole protein intake. I really try now to increase but even on a really good day I'll only get to maybe 35g's max,
    What is the cheapest lean protein?

tuna, canned.
    Too much added salt. This is not only gross but unhealthy.
  • clioratha
    clioratha Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Someone already beat me to suggesting canned tuna. Cheap, can often be found on sale in the grocery store (Publix often has BOGO on them), and has a shelf life in years so you can stock up when you find the sales.

My husband and daughter often eat it straight from the can as a snack.

Edit: Bah, someone snuck in before me dissing the tuna :( It does look like some brands have lowered the sodium content on theirs if that's a concern.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    There have been suggestions of quick and easy protein fixes but what about cheap? I'm on a very limited budget, before really getting in to MFP I'd only eat meat once a week and that was pretty much my whole protein intake. I really try now to increase but even on a really good day I'll only get to maybe 35g's max,

tuna, canned.
    Here, we have a choice between tuna in oil, brine or fresh water. The oil and fresh water kind are very low in salt. Just a thought.
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Can any tell me how to change those numbers? And what I should change them to??
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    The cheapest source of protein I've found per gram is reduced fat string cheese. Three sticks will get you about 24 grams protein in 180 calories. Get your protein in line first, so you can keep as much muscle as possible while you lose weight.

Nonfat cottage cheese is good as well; it's as protein dense as Greek yogurt, but without the bitterness.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've always thought beans to be a great low calorie and fat protein.
    Blackbeans 105 cals, 1g fat, 7g protein same for kidney beans...white beans 153c, 0g fat, 10g protein
    all per half cup serving according to the food data base.
  • josiemullin
    Options
    what is MFP
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from salmon, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, seeds, eggs, nut cutlets and various other fish.
    I rarely touch canned tuna but you can get it in spring water as opposed to brine.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your choice of %'s but yes on the increase of protein.

Premier and Pure Protein, great ones. Lean protein does not have alot of fat..... chicken, fish......

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese other good options. You can even sprinkle protein powder on those to amp it up even more. Jay Robb and Pure Protein are good choices.

Best of Luck!!!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    venison is a great go-to for me ... had some last night, in fact, but am down to one package of fajita strips left in the freezer is all. went through it way too fast this year.

but, yeah. cottage cheese is a good option. (can't hardly stand it straight, but a splash of cholula hot sauce and some pepper? bueno.) greek yogurt, too, is good.

but I've added whey protein shakes the last month or so, and that definitely helps. and fairly cheap for $15 a tub. each of those lasts me probably two weeks, so the cost-per-day breakdown is pretty inexpensive. you get a bump in the protein when you mix it with milk, too.

(mine is set at 30%, fwiw)
  • wifeydevine
    wifeydevine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    my sleeve can't tolerate chicken at all.. makes me sick almost everytime
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    This is me, not making jokes on this thread.

I commend you, I fully expected something vulgar.

Also, I have to same problem OP, so I'm hoping people have solutions...
    Again.... not making jokes. And it's killing me.
    You are doing great...keep it up ;)
    I'm waiting for his eye to start twitching.
    lol me too
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

tuna, canned.
    Here, we have a choice between tuna in oil, brine or fresh water. The oil and fresh water kind are very low in salt. Just a thought.
    true, but what about gross?
    You have NO ANSWER! :bigsmile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    Ooooooooooo......
    I get it....:smokin:
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi. I sprout lots. Lentils and mung beans. Also. Quinoa a grain that is a protein and cooks like cous-cous. Dead easy and makes loads.

I personally worry about tuna. It is often causing death to dolphins. Hope you are buying line caught or dolphin friendly.

Just a wee thought
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

tuna, canned.
    true, but what about gross?
    You have NO ANSWER! :bigsmile:
    Tuna is fine...It's just about the most boring thing to eat on the face of the planet.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    1 Generic (store brand) greek non fat yogurt, add to it mashed berries, generic Crystal light.
    2 boneless chicken breast bulk and cook enough for the week.
    3 Tuna? Gross? Not with onions, celery, dill, a little mayo? Sorry to throw you under the bus here Bobby. LOL ;) Throw that Tuna or Chicken over a bed of lettuce and mixed veggies.
    4 Almonds. Again generic.
    5 Low fat mozz string cheese.
    6 90% lean hamburg patties, top with 2% Land o Lakes cheese.
    7 Ground Turkey in your homemade Chile, tacos, whatever to hide the blandness.

A calorie is a calorie. Don't get worked up over fat, most of it is probably good fats, that is if your eating mostly lean.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Mung beans, though they do come with lots of carbs. Get them at Asia markets, not the big retail chains. The brand I get is 30g protein and 60g carbs per 1/2 cup dry. Its like $1.50 for 5 servings. So 30 cents for 30g of protein is as cheap as you can get.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options

My palms are twitching ... trigger fingers on the keyboard ... MUST ... REFRAIN ...