The right workout for Weight lose

Options
Hey I'm just wondering

I have been working out 5 to 6x a week - including cardio, weight training and swimming, and eat 10x more healthy then i was a month ago. Is there certain exercise I should be doing to lose weight, like specifics? I have been having good results but think I am plateauing :( I just want to be doing the right workout for weight loose and could use any help and advice I can get!!

Thanks

Replies

• Corruption
    Options
    Personally I ran into the same issue right about the same time. Honestly I just said "screw it" and kept it up because I felt better. It took about another month then things started dropping again and been steadily dropping about 1lb a week and I usually do about 4-5x a week 20 min on the elliptical or run.
  • running_girl_84
    Options
    Intervals! It's a great way to change things up and make your heart rate sky rocket. Try sprinting on the treamill for 30 seconds to a minute and then slowing it down for 2 minutes, and then repeat. Or crank up the resistance on the bike or elliptical for a minute and then drop it back down.
  • marujita
    Options
    I would keep up what you're doing if you've had good results. The same thing is kind of happening to me. But I think it COULD be that you gain muscle weight. So if you're consistently working out and eating a good diet but not dropping weight, your body fat percentage is still going down. I've heard a lot lately about the importance of what you eat for weight loss. Even more important than the type of workout you do.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    Intervals! It's a great way to change things up and make your heart rate sky rocket. Try sprinting on the treamill for 30 seconds to a minute and then slowing it down for 2 minutes, and then repeat. Or crank up the resistance on the bike or elliptical for a minute and then drop it back down.

I agree! Intervals and circuit training can help get over some of those "humps" in the path. I've been doing cardio for 15 minutes, weights for 10 (depending on the reps I do), and repeat. I try with little as little as 30 sec breaks in between.
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    Hey thanks for the advice,
    When I do cardio machines at the gym I put it on fat burn which changes the speed so 1 minute your on level 1 the next level 5 and so on. I'm not much into the treadmill yet I usually start on a spin bike for 25 minutes then row machine for 15 minutes then elliptical for 30 minutes and the weight machines for 25 minutes which includes 8 different machines that target all different muscle groups. I do 3 sets of 12 on each machine on low weights. I should only be doing low weights to lose weight right? I dont want to build bulk muscle. I have hit a block in the road and it is making me less motivated, so I thought maybe I'm doing the wrong exercise to lose weight? also I swimming twice a week 40 laps in a Olympic size pool. I know I have only been working out for a month but I think if I have alot of weight to loose I should be able to lose pretty easily if I'm putting in the effort :S Also I am eat great alot of fish and fresh fruits and vegtables and drinking 10 glasses of water a day.
  • marujita
    Options
    Good luck! Keep up the good work, sounds like you're doing everything right and I'm sure you'll see results eventually. I know, though, that's it's tough to stay motivated when you don't see steady, immediate results. I'm the same way. But I'm not giving up this time!!!! Stick with it, you'll get there!

Sarah
  • carpediem13
    carpediem13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    2 thoughts: Make sure you're eating enough to make up for your exercise calories. Sounds like some days your workouts are pretty extreme and it can be hard to eat more calories when you cut portions and eat healthier. You just don't want to put your body in starvation mode where it will store fat not lose it. 2nd thought is that you should be lifting heavier weights. Even though you don't want to bulk up I read that higher weights will burn the fat around the muscle you work out where if you only do low weights you are only increasing the endurance of the muscle and not burning the fat around it. Between the weights and cardio for burning the calories you should see a difference. Intervals are also a great idea! Good luck!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    change your entire exercise routine every few weeks

I'd say, as a start do 4 weeks of the same routine then take a week off to relax (yes, the whole week, no cardio, no weights) but remember to still eat well

and then start a brand new 4 week cycle.

you'll firstly be amazed by how much energy you have going back after a week, you won't lose any fitness or muscle tone in that time either and you'll give your body the much needed recovery time it needs
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    Thanks you that is what I was thinking I am going to take a week off Ive been going at it for 5 weeks now, I'm thinking if I take a week off then my body will be less likely to plateau because I'm changing it up so much, but about a hole new routine I have no clue what to do. I just recently got the courage to go to the gym alone but I only do what I know how to do at the gym? hmm well will see what happends and I will try the intervals I always put the machines on "fat burn" ill try the intervals tonight!
  • jamiec0221
    Options
    You might also try mixing up your caloric intake each day while keeping the same total for the week. I read that this is a good way to avoid hitting a plateau. Good luck! :)
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    have a cheat day, don't eat too terrible, but allow yourself to enjoy some of your favorite foods, then pick back up on you diet the next day, you'll shock your metabolism into picking back up again. also make sure you're not just watching your calories, really watch your fat grams too. I try to stay at 40 grams or less myself. If you are substituting sodas with diet sodas, skip the diet sodas all together. Don't eat too much fruit, it naturally has a lot of sugar, so eat that in moderation.

good luck!!:smooched:

edit to say: Whoa, i just saw that you lost 18 lbs in 5 weeks! you go girl, that's awesome!!
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    don't be afraid to ask the trainers for suggestions and help. It's part of their job and they wont mind. they will want to make sure you're doing everything right so you don't hurt yourself. The more knowledge you have about the machines, the quicker you can come up with a new routine to cycle.

keep up the good work Brandy!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    change your entire exercise routine every few weeks

I'd say, as a start do 4 weeks of the same routine then take a week off to relax (yes, the whole week, no cardio, no weights) but remember to still eat well

and then start a brand new 4 week cycle.

you'll firstly be amazed by how much energy you have going back after a week, you won't lose any fitness or muscle tone in that time either and you'll give your body the much needed recovery time it needs

I agree with the change everything up every 4 weeks. In addition, try and find new recipies and change up your diet too. I think you're getting bored with the whole process, and that's when people start to revert to their old ways.

I change my strength training every 4 weeks, my cardio??? Usually I'm on a set program that changes every week, or I'm getting ready for a race so there is usually not getting used to anything.

I don't know that I'd take week off after 4 weeks, I'm in the middle of a down week after 13 Weeks. Honestly that was a little too long to go w/o a break, but 4 weeks is a little short for me.

To answer your original question. Any excersise is good for losing weight. However, You have to be in a calorie deficit to do that, and that depends on your diet.