Struggling...

Options
I'm struggling to get back into a healthy lifetstyle/routine.
It seems to be a mental obstacle and although I really want this I can't seem to change. I have been trapped in a cycle of restricting (extreme diet) then binging for a week then back to diet. I know what a healthy diet is but can't seem to get back to it? I always go to extreme which leads to binging.
Although I have recognised this issue, why can't I seem to snap out of it?
It's causing depression.
Has anyone experienced something simular?

Replies

• carloubrew
    carloubrew Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. One week I lose weight and the next I gain. Last week was horrible for me. I actually gained 7 lbs. I crave sweets like air. I have tried everything. I am now looking into having some type of surgery performed to help me. My back hurts all the time and I keep a headache. I am currently taking blood pressure medication along with gerd medicine and antidepressants. I am a serious mess.

If you run across any helpful suggestions, please share them with me.
  • mymission92
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Mine is not that serious just yet, i'm still not overweight but it's the mental aspect I hate of it. It's like I know how to eat healthy so why can't I? I have to be 'all or nothing.'
  • sarasulzy
    sarasulzy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    it's hard isn't it. I'm like you, I seem to have a "all or nothing approach" as well. When the binging is happening you feel out of control, like nothing is going to get better. I have over the last few years become a bit better although I do constanly have to think about what I'm eating. I have emptied the house of the foods which I love, and only buy the kids biscuits etc that I know I don't like!!. Cheese is my downfall, so I cut it into 30g slices so that if I do have to much I can't deny how much I've eaten!!. I've come to realise that even if I do have a bad week, yes I might put on 1kg but really, it doesn't make me a bad person it just means I have to get control of it again. The more women I talk to, the more I realise that a huge majority of us have eating issues, even the super slim ones. As my gym instructer said, it's better to lose and then gain, than to keep on gaining. I have found that my binging is worse when I feel i'm stuck in a rut, so I try to do something different and enjoyable, and that seems to work for me. Just start slowly, one good day is better than no good day. Then that might make it to two good days. I figure we put on weight for a reason which is eating to much food, so we shouldn't expect to go from over eating one day to being perfect for the rest of our lives the next day. They are habits we have to break and it will take time. Good luck to you.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Find a friend to do it with you. Make it a challenge or whatever.

My wife and I have a little competition where we gain points for exercising, tracking our food, staying within 200 calories of our goal, having alcohol-free days, etc.

Our competitiveness keeps us in line. I've also recently started one with a colleague (a little less extensive than the one with my wife).

Have a prize at the end of the competition, and also mini-prizes for the end of the month or week.
  • mymission92
    Options
    it's hard isn't it. I'm like you, I seem to have a "all or nothing approach" as well. When the binging is happening you feel out of control, like nothing is going to get better. I have over the last few years become a bit better although I do constanly have to think about what I'm eating. I have emptied the house of the foods which I love, and only buy the kids biscuits etc that I know I don't like!!. Cheese is my downfall, so I cut it into 30g slices so that if I do have to much I can't deny how much I've eaten!!. I've come to realise that even if I do have a bad week, yes I might put on 1kg but really, it doesn't make me a bad person it just means I have to get control of it again. The more women I talk to, the more I realise that a huge majority of us have eating issues, even the super slim ones. As my gym instructer said, it's better to lose and then gain, than to keep on gaining. I have found that my binging is worse when I feel i'm stuck in a rut, so I try to do something different and enjoyable, and that seems to work for me. Just start slowly, one good day is better than no good day. Then that might make it to two good days. I figure we put on weight for a reason which is eating to much food, so we shouldn't expect to go from over eating one day to being perfect for the rest of our lives the next day. They are habits we have to break and it will take time. Good luck to you.

Yes that sounds like me. I think Im struggling more now than ever as I'm off uni for the summer and dont have much to do other than my job one day a week. I'm getting a bit depressed as last summer I was away for the 3 months so i'm in a rut more than ever.
  • mymission92
    Options
    Find a friend to do it with you. Make it a challenge or whatever.

My wife and I have a little competition where we gain points for exercising, tracking our food, staying within 200 calories of our goal, having alcohol-free days, etc.

Our competitiveness keeps us in line. I've also recently started one with a colleague (a little less extensive than the one with my wife).

Have a prize at the end of the competition, and also mini-prizes for the end of the month or week.

Thanks for your input! That could work actually, I'm really competitve and if I say i'm doing something I like to see it through. Hmmm I could maybe get someone to challenge me not to eat sweet foods for a time peirod.
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    Just stay strong. There are tons of people on MFP to support you! Just remember that this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. So you may or may not see immediate results. What matters is that you feel better physically and mentally about yourself. The weight is just a number, so try not to dwell on it too much. Add me as a friend if you would like!
  • sanhol
    sanhol Posts: 3
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are struggling. Just think about this. Open heart surgery. The doctor told me I might need my second open heart and I think it has finally kicked my *kitten* into gear. The recovery when you are heavy is so much harder especially if you are a female and have big boobs to deal with. I am only 65 and had my first surgery at 57 so try and really think about this and realize that you can do it. If you are younger and don't think this can happen to you .......think again.