Walking + Jogging

Options
OK...I am far from a marathon runner, lol.....I can barley jog because I'm afraid it will hurt ;)
However....reading up on exercise, short bursts of jogging while walking can help boost metabolism and your heart rate and all the good stuff, so I am trying it out.....do I just log that as walking....?? Walking fast??

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    OK...I am far from a marathon runner, lol.....I can barley jog because I'm afraid it will hurt ;)
    However....reading up on exercise, short bursts of jogging while walking can help boost metabolism and your heart rate and all the good stuff, so I am trying it out.....do I just log that as walking....?? Walking fast??

For MFP purposes probably walking/brisk walk but to make sure you get the proper credit for the calories burned maybe you should think about getting a heart rate monitor.

If you're just starting out keep the running segments short and slow, you don't want to be gasping for air. Listen to your body, you may be surprised how quickly 30 seconds turns into a minute, then 2 and next thing you know you're a runner. (it's addictive and kind of sneaks up on you..)

Don't try to progress too quickly, most running / overuse injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast.

Good luck & have fun!
  • lunchlady1208
    Options
    Yes, I have looked into a HRM...thinking seriously about getting one soon as I can.

And thanks for you reply and encouragement!!!!!
  • PODGYPARTSMAN
    Options
    Hi Lunchlady 1208,

I'm no expert but if it's of any help, I did something very similar a while ago and as I was quite heavy I was very aware of the impact on my joints, (knee;s ankle's etc) What I did was to walk, jog a little then walk again, after a few sessions over a few days I would try to extend the distance I jogged, although staying in my comfort zone. Soon I was aware how much easier I found it and how much better I was feeling over all.

Don't know if that helps, but good luck. As for what do you log it as I would say log it as walking (with a bonus) to your outcome.

Best wishes

Ian (podgypartsman)
  • lunchlady1208
    Options
    Thanks Ian :)
    I broke both feet a while ago, and jogging/running sounds so scary!!!! But on my walk today I did 3-45 sec intervals...which I know isn't much, but it's a start!!!!!
  • mharrison261
    mharrison261 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion...You may want to look into a Couch to 5K app for your phone. They are designed to take non-runners and transform them into distance runners in a matter of 8 or 9 weeks. My fiancee and I started a Couch to 5K program about 4 weeks ago. Neither of us were runners either. The program started out with mostly walking with short bursts of jogging, just as you described. We are now on week 4 and seeing results. It has turned into mostly jogging with "bursts" of walking. The transition was almost seamless. We have both become "addicted" to our morning runs. Believe me, neither one of us thought we would actually enjoy them, but we do! The program requires only 30 - 35 minutes of walking/jogging 3 days per week. But , some weeks we do as much as 4 - 5 days, repeating circuits on the extra days.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am just starting a walk/ run regimen as well! I quit smoking this year and decided to start getting into shape...when I was a smoker could barely run 2 minutes without having an asthma attack. Now I am up t0 about 15 minutes running and walk for about 10-12 minutes. So, trust me it can be done. Your body starts to change and adapt to being able to run longer...I have also heard of the Couck to 5k app, I dont have an Iphone but on my ipad I have a running that I track my distance and time. This helps because I can see how great i am doing and makes me want to keep at it....I think walking / running intervals burns the most calories. I log my walking seperate on here as well as my running, I dont have a HRm, so it's just an estimate. Good luck! :)
  • Kristal77Sawatzky
    Options
    I just started on here and put it as race walking. I don`t know if that is right, but I was speed walking and jogging in short bursts.
  • lunchlady1208
    Options
    lol...I don't have any cell phone at all....O_o....I swear I am the only person on Earth without one.....
  • roodieroo
    roodieroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my advice includes using my phone! :)

I began by pushing my toddler I the jogging stroller. I got the urge to jog a bit, so I did! I use an app called RunKeeper to GPS track and get my average. This also estimated calorie burn based on my weight/height/age. I always just created my own exercise called "Jogging/Walking Intervals, averaged x.xxmph" the input the estimated calories from the RunKeeper. Now, I have a HRM so I use both to track my average and calories expended.

I have found that, on average, even when I was 150lbs and now at 130lbs, I burn about 100 calories/mile whether I jog or walk it. That is just an average and it can be a bit higher or lower.

I now jog as far as I can, then walk until I convince myself to jog more! It definitely was a sneaky transition... I can go longer than I thought I ever would. I need to get some music on board, cuz I think I could do more by being distracted.

Best of luck! You are doing awesome... especially with having broken both feet?! Awesome!
  • lunchlady1208
    Options
    Yes, I really never thought that I would even walk fast again, let alone jog and consider running!!! But now that I have been walking for a while, I really look forward to it everyday....and now I am liking the idea of the jogging challenge, little as it may be!!