Snack Attack

Options
eprybs
eprybs Posts: 36 Member
Okay....share with me your BEST healthy or low calorie snacks! I'm looking for something creative!!

Some of mine:

non-fat, no-salt rice cakes with hummus spread on top- tastes Yummy!
non-fat String cheese
hard boiled eggs
veggies and hummus
mixed nuts

Replies

• BahamaMama77
    BahamaMama77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Grape tomatoes
    Bite-size celery with peanut butter
    Tomato basil wheat thins
    Triscuits with hummus
    Small bowl of cereal with fresh fruit
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    A wasa cracker spread with hummus with thin slices of tomato and alfalfa sprouts on top. Nom nom.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    air popped popcorn with a dash of popcorn seasoning. My favourite is buffalo hot wing.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    no suger added fudgcles only 40 calories
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm a killer for smoothies right now. They're quick, easy and delicious. I just whack whatever fruits I fancy in a blender with a bit of yoghurt, occasionally some seeds or oats depending on when my next meal with me and I'm happy for ages.
    They're handy as well when I'm not feeling hungry at all but know that I need something nutritional.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad tossed in lime juice & honey or agave -- the lime really thins out the honey, so just a tiny bit goes a LONG way, and they add a nice zing to fruit salad (and keep your apples & pears from browning).

Biscoff cookies when I need a treat. (**edit** BELVITA,, not Biscoff -- don't know where my mind was. On Biscoff's buttery oodles, obviously)

Almonds.

Pink lady apples -- yum!

I like having veggies & dip, but I so rarely get around to chopping enough to have on hane for snacks! My snacks tend to be fruit, with my meals more veggie-centric.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Okay....share with me your BEST healthy or low calorie snacks! I'm looking for something creative!!

Some of mine:

non-fat, no-salt rice cakes with hummus spread on top- tastes Yummy!
    non-fat String cheese
    hard boiled eggs
    veggies and hummus
    mixed nuts

Can someone tell me what hummus is and maybe a recipe for a hummus spread please?
  • clifford66
    Options
    little debbie
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    clif bars, bananas, almonds, yogurt, pineapple
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Hummus is basically ground up chick peas. I use a can of chick peas, drained and rinsed. Retain the liquid. Put in a food processor and grind to a chunky consistency. I then add garlic (fresh or from a jar, but not garlic powder), a bit of lemon juice, a bit of good olive oil and a bit of salt. Blend again to a smooth paste. I then add tahini - couple of tablespoons. Blend again. If it is too thick, you can add a little of the retained liquid from the canned chick peas.

Taste the results, and add lemon juice, salt or garlic to taste.

I then put it in the fridge for a couple of hours, and before serving, drizzle lightly with olive oil. You don't have to do that if you want to watch the fat.

I eat with toasted pita bread, but it is also a great veggie dip. I even use it on a sandwich with grilled veggies.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    When i am really hungry, and need to eat alot for little calories.. i slice yellow squash thin, and sautee it in onion and garlic powder, and sprinkle a little mrs. dash table blend on it. its DELISH and you can eat three whole squash for less than 50 calories!
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what hummus is and maybe a recipe for a hummus spread please?

Hummus is made from chickpeas, tahini oil, garlic and few other things. Google it and you'll find tons of recipes or you can buy some pretty good ready made hummus. I like Sabra.
  • eprybs
    eprybs Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    you can buy it pre-made in the veggie isle ( usually refrigerated near the bagged salad)
  • LaEliFish
    LaEliFish Posts: 4
    Options
    I love a bit of low fat cottage cheese with blueberries! or tomatoes with fresh basil and a bit of low fat mozzarella cheese.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Quaker rice cakes. Not sure how healthy they are, but they are really good :smile: Also pickles, cucumbers, and hard boiled eggs. (If you only eat the white part, which I do because I don't like the middle, it's only 17 calories per egg!!)
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    I spend a few hours cooking on Sunday afternoons to pack the fridge with stuff, so matter what type of craving I have, I can get something for it.

- 3 Bean Turkey Chili
    - Pasta Salad with Dreamfield's CarbSmart Pasta
    - Chicken and Green Chili Taco filling
    - Chicken Noodle Soup
    - Tuna Salad

I also love those Digiorno 200 Calorie Portions pepperoni pizzas, cause I'm a guy, Italian, and I love pizza...
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    1 cup of fresh grapes and a mini baby bel light.
  • eltangodelaur
    Options
    I like getting the 100 calorie popcorn bags and using a little bit of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, especially when I want to watch a movie and everyone is eating popcorn!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I'm a killer for smoothies right now. They're quick, easy and delicious. I just whack whatever fruits I fancy in a blender with a bit of yoghurt, occasionally some seeds or oats depending on when my next meal with me and I'm happy for ages.
    They're handy as well when I'm not feeling hungry at all but know that I need something nutritional.

im also on a smoothie kick.. got leftover smoothie? pour into popsicle molds for a delish treat in this heat!! =)
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Peaches, Apples, and Apricots
    Homemade Greek Yogurt (I buy a big tub of Nancy's nonfat plain and drain it) with berries and a tablespoon of honey
    Almonds/Walnuts/Cashews
    Mozarella Cheese Sticks
    Peanut Butter on Whole wheat Crackers
    Celery Sticks with Peanut Butter
    Dark Chocolate (I eat one or two squares of 86% Gharidelli)