What do you think is the primary reason for obesity?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think it's all of the above, if you are talking about all obese Americans.

It's different for different people. Some people have self-esteem and other emotional issues. Other people sit on the bums all day at work then go home and plop in front of the TV. (guilty!) Some people just eat too much. Others just eat the wrong things.
  • xSinfulUndeadx
    Options
    I think Americans have just become more lazy and also bad food choices. Today people are on their computers, phones, gaming systems, watching tv more than going outside and being out and about. Also we have sooooo many fast food restaurants in our country and it's cheap and you get your food fast.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    There is no vast conspiracy in the food industry to addict (literally) us to junk to guarantee profits. That is just fantasy. Everything has "chemicals". Everything you don't pick yourself is "processed". I could eat nothing but frozen dinners the rest of my life and remain healthy and maintain my weight. There is no science that supports the notion that HFCS is any different than any other sugar.

The food industry is heavily into the organic trend now - to the tune of billions. They will, rightfully, make a profit regardless of what the eating trends are, as soon as they get ahead of the next trend. They don't need to be evil lab coat dude to make money.

People are overweight, in the vast (vast, vast) majority of cases, because of the choices they make and their own behavior. Nobody is doing it to them.

There have been no studies that refute the long standing evidence that, barring under-nutrition, the fewer calories you eat during your lifetime the longer you will live.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR!!!!

True! They add sugar to things that you would never put sugar in if making it at home!
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Lack of Self Control. Because regardless of how food tastes you have to have the control to either stop eating it as much (if its bad) or eating it more (if its good.)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I thought it might be interesting to see what our site feels might be the root cause(s) to our country becoming 66% overweight or obese.
    I didn't realise MFP belonged to one country :huh: - there are just as many non-US citizens here :bigsmile: ... but then few nations have such an acute obesity crisis...:ohwell:
    Is it due to?

1. Poor food choices Perhaps, but more often choices are made for convenience rather than nutrition or taste.
    2. Portion control The culture of SUPERSIZING certainly doesn't help
    3. Lack of exercise This would be my #1
    4. Lack of sleep Doubt this has much to do with obesity at all; only a secondary concern at best
    5. Physical problems (thyroid, hormonal imbalances, diseases, chronic illnesses, genetics) Again a very small proportion of overweight people have a genuine medical condition; having said that there is some research that suggests some of us have issues that cause us to produce too little ghrelin thus we don't realise we've over-eaten until it's too late!
    6. Mental issues (lack of an equal quality of education) Not sure what this alludes to???
    7. Emotional problems (stress, finances, job loss, divorcee or a bad relationship. etc.) Yes, emotional eating can be a common factor - food, booze, drugs, all are used as crutches in times of stress.
    8. Lack of self-control or will-power This is probably my #2
    9. Lack of availability to get quality foods in some areas Nope, this is an excuse.
    10. Sedentary lifestyles now common place in the work and home environments This goes hand-in-hand with lack of exercise; we don't have the physical demands of our grandparents' generation.
    11. Fast food restaurants This is another excuse - just because they are there doesn't mean you have to frequent them and eat their calorie-dense, nutrient-light foods.
    12. Regular restaurants who in many cases serve portion sizes twice what one should eat Certainly in the US portion size in restaurants is ridiculous. Food should be savoured and I prefer to go to establishments where they understand that concept and not just pile obscene amounts of food on a huge, serving-sized dinner plate.
    13. TV/Cell phones/Internet/Gaming Again this is an excuse.
    14. Something else ... see below...

The primary reason for obesity is simple: we consume more than we expend!

It's not rocket science, however, if you are looking for a reason why we eat more than we need then look no further than cultural changes in the last quarter of the 20th Century. We in the West became wealthier and food became cheaper. But corporate greed meant we were brainwashed into eating more and more to ensure their profit margins weren't similarly diminished. Convenience was the name of the game and our lives became less active as we spent more time at work. More and more people work in offices and/or behind computer screens. And people drive to work rather than walking or cycling. Media-hype has a paedophile on every street corner so we no longer allow kids to play outside and encourage them to stay at home playing computer games and/or watching TV. Kids are fed snacks and sugary drinks such that we are effectively fois-gras-ing our kids and in many cases ourselves too.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Simple.

How long does it take to burn 600 cals (~60min)

How long does it take to eat 600 cals (~6min)

And of course the sedentary lifestyle a lot of office workers live.
  • MsSharie
    MsSharie Posts: 3
    Options
    My main issue was eating based on my emotions and lack of activity. I am still learning to realize when I'm under stress, excited, etc and choosing to handle the situation appropriately.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There have been no studies that refute the long standing evidence that, barring under-nutrition, the fewer calories you eat during your lifetime the longer you will live.

I know a few studies that have been around for thousands of years.

Rural Asia. Rural India. Rural China

The only people that every got heart disease, diabetes, cancers were the kings and emperors who practiced affluence.

Really, how much proof do you need?

I have come to realize that people will say anything to attempt to justify bad eating habits, lol.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    There is no vast conspiracy in the food industry to addict (literally) us to junk to guarantee profits. That is just fantasy. Everything has "chemicals". Everything you don't pick yourself is "processed". I could eat nothing but frozen dinners the rest of my life and remain healthy and maintain my weight. There is no science that supports the notion that HFCS is any different than any other sugar.

The food industry is heavily into the organic trend now - to the tune of billions. They will, rightfully, make a profit regardless of what the eating trends are, as soon as they get ahead of the next trend. They don't need to be evil lab coat dude to make money.

I agree about the processed food. It might be a bit of a red herring. We've been processing and preserving our food since long before the "obesity epidemic".

Also, I remember us eating MORE "processed" food in the form of tinned and dried food when I was younger, because not so many people had freezers. So much food was fried, often deep fried. Remember when everybody had a deep fat fryer? From what I can see, the food we eat now is more "healthy", not less. People watch cooking programmes on TV and spend a fortune on cookery books. In the ready meals section at the supermarket, so many of the meals or of the "just cook" variety, using much the same ingredients you'd use at home.

I know that for years, while I was a healthy weight, I changed my level of activity and didn't think about what I was eating. Whether I was sedentary or active, it seemed that my calorie intake adjusted to keep my weight within a few pounds. In recent years, that system has stopped working, for some reason. It's nothing to do with me eating junk food, because if anything, I eat "healthier" food (lots more veg, for instance). The same thing has happened to many of us - we're eating healthier, and getting bigger, and somehow our appetite doesn't adjust to our activity any more.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Gluttony and laziness......a no brainer......:bigsmile:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I thought it might be interesting to see what our site feels might be the root cause(s) to our country becoming 66% overweight or obese.

Is it due to?

1. Poor food choices
    2. Portion control
    3. Lack of exercise
    4. Lack of sleep
    5. Physical problems (thyroid, hormonal imbalances, diseases, chronic illnesses, genetics)
    6. Mental issues (lack of an equal quality of education)
    7. Emotional problems (stress, finances, job loss, divorcee or a bad relationship. etc.)
    8. Lack of self-control or will-power
    9. Lack of availability to get quality foods in some areas
    10. Sedentary lifestyles now common place in the work and home environments
    11. Fast food restaurants
    12. Regular restaurants who in many cases serve portion sizes twice what one should eat
    13. TV/Cell phones/Internet/Gaming
    14. Something else

I read them all and all I saw was

number 1.

1. Excuses....
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think it's a whole bunch of things all changing in the last 30 years, that take a concerted effort to fight against. Lots more sedentary jobs, expectation to work more and more hours at those jobs (at least that is certainly the case in I.T.), labor saving devices like tv remotes that weren't around or as common not that long ago (and tvs that weren't around at all before that), the internetsucking people in to more sitting and puttering on facebook, or playing xbox for hours when they might have done something active 30 years ago. Restaurants and fast food being FAR more available on every corner, and families where both parents work outside the home making ordering out or nuking something far more tempting after a long day.

Something I was thinking about the other day...the crazy portion sizes and added crap in restaurant foods. The other day my family was going to order from PF Chang's and I looked at the menu. The items I was looking at were mostly stir fries, none of which had batter dipped meat or super sweet sauces, so they certainly appeared to be "healthy". Then I looked up the nutrition info...omfg....according to their website many of those dishes have 2 or 3 "servings" ..some even 4. Most of those "servings" have 700-1200 calories. IE Kung Pao Chicken - 1100 calories, 66 fat grams, over 2000 sodium....and thats in ONE serving ...the order contains 3 servings. Insanity. No doubt the peanuts don't help that dish, but it's more than that.

So if you go into a place like that on autopilot with a group of friends, maybe you order that AND an springroll or soup and a drink and you've just consumed WAY more calories than you'd think for a "stir fry". It's also easy to think that what they have listed as an entree or entree combo is somehow a "normal" thing to eat for dinner...ie Fridays' deal of an appetizer, entree, and mini desert, when the entree alone might be 2500 calories. I've read about studies where if you put people in a room with a small bowl of m&ms or a really big bowl, they eat more m's if the bowl is big. Or if the soup refils itself. And the entrees at restaurants are usually very big bowls. You have to read very carefully and look up the nutrition info and then resist the urge to eat more than a third of what you get (full of fat and salt that makes you want more), or you've pretty much blown it for the day.

It's definitely not all lazy that's causing the problem.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    processed foods......hands down. When I was growing up on a farm, we ate almost no processed foods and cake, pie etc was a once in a while treat. Everything was home grown and made from scratch. My parents still eat this way and still live on the farm. They are 91 and 82 and are VERY healhy, and can still run circles around me.

I should also add that it was very rare to see anyone overweight when I was growing up (I am 62). We had ONE chubby girl in our class the entire 12 years I was going to school. In my family we were all on the thin side until we grew up and settled into city life and started eating out and eating processed food.

I remember having an exchange student when our children were younger, who came here from Spain. One of his first comments was "there are so many fat people!" and he was astounded that we sat in front of the tv and ate. He had never seen that before. He said, in Spain, we either watch tv, or we eat, but never both. So we have created many bad habits in our country too. And of course I absolutely believe that our sedentary/technologic lifestyles do not help either.

I'm 44, there weren't a lot of fat kids when I was in grade school and junior high either, just a few of them, and I was one of the few.
    I have to think at least part of it is some kind of genetic pre-disposition. When I was a kid we didn't own a microwave, mom home cooked nearly everything, we never went out to restaurants as a family ..ever..and maybe if we were lucky dad might get us burgers once every couple weeks, we had to ask permission to split the 8oz Pepsis, and rarely had a lot of treat foods. Ie, we had Wheaties, but dad wouldn't allow Fruit Loops. I had two brothers and a sister, one was fat, two were sliim, and looking at the pictures I started gaining weight in maybe 3rd grade, when the only control I had over what I ate was if I had a second helping. Yet I was still a chubby kid. I always did like reading and blocks more than racing around outside like the skinny brother. Though I think the processed food and eating out is a big contribute to why there are *more* fat kids and adults now.

Someone else mentioned gym class. Honestly the only thing having gym class in school did for me was making me absolutely hate exercise. Seriously. There never seemed to be much concept back then of working at your own level, competing with yourself to improve, and if you were at the bottom end of the class fitness or ability wise it was a very very humiliating experience. Not just for the fat kids..one small dainty girl in my gym class actually puked during the running (for 10 minutes straight, not allowed to stop or walk) because it was just beyond what she could comfortably do. [this would have been around '80] People made fun of her for weeks poor thing. I got it for not being able to do sit ups without the gym teachers help and not being able to catch a baseball if my life depended on it. And I wasn't a huge kid like some I see now, just a chubby one. If there is to be gym in school there needs to be a major change in mindset..toward teaching kids a joy of movement and improving their own level regardless of the others. It took almost 30 years to convince myself that moving around is actually pretty fun and exercise can feel good.

What we did do differently though was play outside. For hours. Even me the bookish one, would ride my bike all over or run around the yard playing games or climbing in trees. I hardly ever see my young relatives do that these days, they'd rather play video games.
  • curvygrl297
    Options
    The reason is delicious food. If all food tasted kinda "icky" I would be skinny.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    For me personally. I was lazy. I could never stick to eating healthily and I didn't like exercising. My portion size was ridiculous and covered in cheese so yeah.
  • zaaden
    zaaden Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Points 1 and 2 and all the others run of these. Food choice and portion control are the problems.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Gluttony and laziness......a no brainer......:bigsmile:

Yes, of course this is right... but why? WHY are we more lazy, WHY are we more gluttonous, WHY do we all make excuses?

Have humans fundamentally changed in two or three generations to become lazy slobs with no self control?

I don't know the answers, but it's a fascinating discussion!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Is it due to?

1. Poor food choices
    2. Portion control
    3. Lack of exercise
    4. Lack of sleep
    5. Physical problems (thyroid, hormonal imbalances, diseases, chronic illnesses, genetics)
    6. Mental issues (lack of an equal quality of education)
    7. Emotional problems (stress, finances, job loss, divorcee or a bad relationship. etc.)
    8. Lack of self-control or will-power
    9. Lack of availability to get quality foods in some areas
    10. Sedentary lifestyles now common place in the work and home environments
    11. Fast food restaurants
    12. Regular restaurants who in many cases serve portion sizes twice what one should eat
    13. TV/Cell phones/Internet/Gaming
    14. Something else

Flooding of market of cheap calorie dense foods
    Fast food availability and peoples busy lifestyles
    Portion sizes have gone up both at restaurants and at home
    More sedentary lifestyles - desk jobs and the like
    The diet industry I feel is actually making people more obese through promotion of crash dieting, teaching people to eliminate entire food groups and so on.

I also think emotional factors such as depression and anxiety can contribute to people who have compulsive eating disorders
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    we've not evolved to eat grains, we're meant to eat fat for fuel!

join the revolution!!!!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/