Running NSV!

Options
I've been running for a few weeks now, and today I ran my first 3.1 miles (5k) on the treadmill! It took me 34:50, but I did it! I felt so incredibly awesome afterwards.

Now for those of you who are more experienced runners, do you have any tips for improving my time?

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! :drinker:

How do your legs feel now?
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! Congrats!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats on hitting that milestone.

I would suggest that before worrying about improving your speed focus on building a really good endurance base. Just by virtue of running more you will probably improve your time. Once you have a solid foundation then add some speed work to your workouts (intervals, hills, track repeats)

Have fun!
  • MedSchool4Me
    Options
    Good for you!!! :drinker:

How do your legs feel now?

Like Jell-o. But in a really good way :-)
  • MedSchool4Me
    Options

I would suggest that before worrying about improving your speed focus on building a really good endurance base. Just by virtue of running more you will probably improve your time. Once you have a solid foundation then add some speed work to your workouts (intervals, hills, track repeats)

Have fun!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will continue to slowly increase my mileage to build up my endurance base.
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    As far as improving time goes, just keep running at the pace you're at and keep pushing your distance. You'll begin to notice yourself running faster over time, and feel incredibly happy that your pace is catching up to your desires. If you really want, you could do an intense speed work out every week, but be sure to have a resting day after that. Honestly, though, the best thing to do is to not stop running.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options

Have fun!

I agree! More running equals more endurance then you can increase distance by 10% a week which will increase speed. Sounds nuts at first but the more and longer distances I run, the faster I get!

Congrats! I caught the running bug last year and am now training for half marathon :) LOVE IT!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Practice. The more you do it, the easier it will become. Give it a few months.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That's so great!!!!!!! Not a bad time either :) I'm not so fast but really running more to run faster I think that's the best advice :) Good luck!
  • Emmysaurusrex
    Emmysaurusrex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome! My only piece of advice, if you're training for a race, is to set the incline on the treadmill to 1. It reflects road-running better and helps with the adjustment once you get outside.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

Have fun!

I agree! More running equals more endurance then you can increase distance by 10% a week which will increase speed. Sounds nuts at first but the more and longer distances I run, the faster I get!

Congrats! I caught the running bug last year and am now training for half marathon :) LOVE IT!
    And I will "third" this advice! Couldn't agree more - the more you run, the faster you will get. No matter how you slice it. Just keep focusing on building your base as a runner and the rest will come.

Congrats on your NSV! That's a freaking fabulous milestone to hit and I bet you feel like a million bucks. Took me MONTHS to be able to get to 5K running non-stop. Doing it in just a few weeks is definitely something to be proud of :bigsmile: Soak it in!