Ladies only: Questions about Birth Control

Options
Phoenix1401
Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
Back in March my body started changing as in my period and the time. It comes twice a month and last for a week it used to come once a month and last for 3 days and then I'm done I've my breasts been tender and swollen lately and I'm having awful back pain because of this.
So I'm wondering if getting on Birth Control will solve this issue.
Tomorrow I'm going to planned parenthood and see what can be done the worst part is I dont know what to expect I never been on birth control in my whole adult life.
Do you have any advice about birth control? Like does make you gain weight? Does it really stop your period? How does it affect your mood?
I
have High blood pressure will they deny me from using birth control?
Any advice and answers will be great! Thank you :)

Replies

• MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been on a few different kinds of BC. Really, it's a little different for everybody. There are certain types of BC that can stop you from having a period completely, but I'd rather use the kind that allow you to have one (as I'm sexually active, helps double-check that I'm not pregnant). For a lot of people, myself included, it does cause weight gain, but this could be something you talk with the physician about.

I've been on Ortho-Tricyclen (I think that's how you spell it :/), Tri-Sprintec, NuvaRing, and Sprintec.

Ortho-Tricyclen and Tri-Sprintec are pills. They have a gradual increase (or it may be decrease, I can't remember exactly) in hormone levels as the month progresses until you reach your sugar pill, which is the week you have your monthly. I was having horrible pain and migraines on this method so I switched to NuvaRing. I LOVED NuvaRing. You have to be comfortable with getting it 'up in there,' and you do have to be mindful that if it's not inserted correctly it can wiggle its way out, but I have trouble taking my pills at the same time every day due to my work schedule so this was a great option. When I was dropped from my parents health care coverage and was picked up by my biological father, I switched to Sprintec (NuvaRing was too expensive D:). Sprintec is like Tri-Sprintec, except there is a level amount of hormones the whole month (instead of the gradual change) except for the week while on sugar pills. My gyno suggested this as an alternative to what I had been on, and this has greatly reduced my PMS pain and even some of my migraines.

There are a LOT of options when it comes to BC, some far more permanent than others. You really need to be honest with your physician and let her know plainly what your wanting out of the meds and what your worries are. Being specific and unashamed to ask questions will lay all your cards on the table and help the doctor determine the best choice in BC for YOUR body and YOUR expectations.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Bump for more opinions
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    Birth control is a life saver, really. Planned Parenthood will answer all of your questions and tell you the best options for you. It might take a little while to find the right form for you, but once you get it, you'll know, because you'll feel awesome and have minimal side effects. I've had nothing but good experiences with the NuvaRing, because I tend to forget to take pills, even if I set my phone alarm. Awesome, really.

Just go to PP and bring your questions, honestly, they're wonderful.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have been on two types of birth control pill. I was on Alesse for about a year and a half. I don't blame my weight gain completely on it, but I'm pretty sure it made me hungrier :p. But I was going through some other changes in my life at that time too. It did give me mood swings. I got super PMS-y for the week before my period. Ugh. But it did make me know WHEN my period was.

Eventually I went to the doctor explaining my problems. He put me on a different birth control, with a lower dose of hormones, Tri-cyclen Lo. MUCH BETTER! I haven't lost the weight that I gained during Alesse but I haven't gained any more ... at least not because of the birth control. I don't PMS as much :p (ehh I still do sometimes). It's great because I know exactly when my period is going to come. I've also organized it so I have my period Monday - Friday (once every four weeks) ... so I never have to worry about it on the weekend!

It does take your body a little bit of time to get used to the birth control ... three months they recommend ... so your hormones level out. :)
  • Inked_Chik_89
    Options
    I have been on the pill for 5 years and I love it! All pills are not created equal though! Like everyone else has said, everyone reacts different to the pill. For instance, Yaz, gave me heart palpatations and made me really depressed. My body just didn't like it. Once you speak with your doctor and get a blood test done then he/she will know what to start you off on. Use protection for the first month ontop of the pill though! And if you ever go on anibiotics, ALWAYS use a condom. LOL. It really is a lifesaver because it will regulate your cycle and you can know when to expect it etc. Hope this helps!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've used a variety of methods, and NuvaRing is my favorite by far. All of the pill varieties I've tried caused some mid-month bleeding, which is just irritating to me. I've had way too many complications in my life to notice if any of the methods caused me to gain weight. Sorry I can't help you more there.
  • Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Birth control is a life saver, really. Planned Parenthood will answer all of your questions and tell you the best options for you. It might take a little while to find the right form for you, but once you get it, you'll know, because you'll feel awesome and have minimal side effects. I've had nothing but good experiences with the NuvaRing, because I tend to forget to take pills, even if I set my phone alarm. Awesome, really.

Just go to PP and bring your questions, honestly, they're wonderful.

Agreed. They are great at answering questions there. I have been on BC for years and as a result of it (over years remember) my period has become lighter. But, like everyone said, it is different for everyone. I take a pill and that works for me with not ill effects. One of my friends gets a shot in the bum every month. Another friend has stopped taking it all together sinceit caused her to have mood swings. Ask the folks at PP your questions and be completely honest!
  • bobaloo22
    bobaloo22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble with crazy periods, 2 weeks to 5 months apart, and my doc put me on the pill. 4 years and my periods are regular and I did not notice weight gain. I also struggle with acne and the brand I'm using helps with that too. Its lessened my mood swings and I don't have as much pain. I know everyone's bodies are different, but its been life changing for me!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If the question is just about regulating your period then it should help that. There are natural alternatives though. A lot of people gain weight on the pill and a lot don't. It's all about how your body reacts to it. I know there are some contraindications for it (smoking, over 35). Not sure if high bp is one or not.
    I have taken the pill a lot over the years (I have PCOS which =really irregular periods) but won't take it any more. (I'm too old now anyways hee hee at the ripe old age of 36).
    You might be better off to see a doctor and find out what the underlying problem is rather than masking it. And I don't say this lightly as I don't have insurance and understand that it's not always easy/possible. Good luck!
  • batesss
    batesss Posts: 24
    Options
    I have been on a couple different birth controls and I work in a pharmacy where 10% of what we dispense is birth control. So from a personal standpoint, different birth controls have affected me differently and unfortunately it was some sucky trial and error to get to the right place (at first I was really bad at taking a pill so I switch to the NuvaRing, but it is expense and killed my sex drive, so I managed to figure out the daily pill thing). But once you are there, you will be fine, and you will love it. When I first starting taking it and my doctor asked me how it was, I said that it was definitely the best thing to happen to my periods and uterus ever.
    So from a pharmacy standpoint, find something that is affordable. Make sure you ask your doctor lots and lots of questions. There are people on it who are also on BP meds. However, if you smoke/are over 35 they will be really reluctant to put you on it. It might make you gain weight, but I lost 30 pounds while I was at the beginning of my WLJ and I had just started BC. It could cause mood swings. Walk into your doctors office armed with 2 things: all of the questions that you have about BC (and ASK ALL OF THEM) and what your insurance covers (you can call/check online and print a list).
    There is also a survey/questionnaire on the Planned Parenthood site about Birth Control and what they think could work for you. Take it. Have some ideas/knowledge before you go in.

And good luck
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've been on probably three of them. There was one or two that gave me unpleasant side effects. Basically, I felt pregnant. My boobs hurt, I bloated, and I felt a little sick. Different ones work differently on different people so you might go through a couple brands before you find one that works well for you. There are zillions of brands and off-brands with a zillion different combinations of hormones. Portia has been a good one for me to be on and I was able to get it for free through my university. My mental symptoms were always worse than physical ones and it helps with that while usually lessening some physical symptoms too.

You can skip your period on any pill by skipping the week of placebos and just starting a new pack. This is what I've done with Portia, though sometimes it creates some PMS-ey symptoms (again, achey boobs etc). I don't know how it compares to a brand that's designed to stop periods like Seasonique. I can live with it, anyway.

I only have a couple weeks left so I'm looking into getting an Implanon implant.
  • nicool31
    nicool31 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been on the pill for 5 years and I love it! All pills are not created equal though! Like everyone else has said, everyone reacts different to the pill. For instance, Yaz, gave me heart palpatations and made me really depressed. My body just didn't like it. Once you speak with your doctor and get a blood test done then he/she will know what to start you off on. Use protection for the first month ontop of the pill though! And if you ever go on anibiotics, ALWAYS use a condom. LOL. It really is a lifesaver because it will regulate your cycle and you can know when to expect it etc. Hope this helps!

I was on birth control pills for about 9 years. Minestrin, Brevicon, back to Minestrin but then I had to take a break because I found they were making me depressed and a little crazy. It was to the point that I was scared to get any PMS symptoms, like crying scared. Last year I had a baby, and recentlly started taking Yaz and had a HORRIBLE experience. I became pretty depressed, and had my period for like 2 1/2 months. I've never experienced that side effect before, maybe spotting, but not a full on period. I read up on it and it's notorious for giving young women strokes due to blood clots. More than any other pill out there.
    Everyone responds differently to each pill, so there is no right and wrong. Some gain weight some lose etc. Feel free to try a few different types to see what works best for you.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some really good advice here, talk to your doc without holding anything back and figure out what will work best for you. The people at PP are great and have seen everything so they know their stuff. Dont be afraid to try different types and tell your doc if something doesnt feel right.

To answer your question though, I've tried all different kinds, pills and shots. They all had side effects some good some bad, the best for me was Yaz but it has been discontinued. I had a Mirena IUD inserted 7 months ago and I have zero complaints, but IUD's are typically for women who've had children already. I am thankful not to have to worry about it every day, pills were a bit tough for me, and it lasts for 5 years which is a bonus.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies so much for your advice, experience , answers and opinions! Xoxox
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    All I can tell you is my limited experience but maybe it will help you..
    When I was 17 I was on depo provera for 2 rounds (the shot lasts 3 months, so I was "on" it for 6 months.
    I gained 7 lbs in each 3 month period. I hadn't knowingly changed anything (eating, activity, etc) in that time frame, and my weight had been consistent prior.
    and I continuously "spotted" the whole 6 months rather than having a regular period or none at all.

when I told (the health dept.) about those issues their suggestion was that I get another shot of depo PLUS take birth control pills... I decided not to continue the depo (and I am terrible at remembering pills so that would be utterly pointless)
    so my husband and I decided to just use condoms..worked pretty well for us with no "oops" (in fact we TTC for 2 years to get pregnant with our 1st.. our second we were not trying nor preventing...)
  • katzen23
    katzen23 Posts: 4
    Options
    One I haven't heard mentioned is my favorite, Ortho Evra. It is the weekly patch that delivers a steady supply of hormones. It is so much easier. I am not using it now because of $$$. The depo shots caused me severe joint pain in my hips and back. Pills - no fav, just a pain to remember.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've used a variety of methods, and NuvaRing is my favorite by far.

Me too!!! Nuvaring is the way to go!!