Fun Physical Activities? What do YOU do?

Options
Hey! 3-4 times a week I play tennis with a friend. I am no professional and neither is he. Never taken a lesson in my life and I am not that "tennis club type". We go to the community park and we play as best as we can, rarely keeping score! We do it to improve our agility, our balance and our core strength as well as to have fun and burn calories. It's really a blast and check out the calories burned playing tennis for one hour. It's a HUGE amount! :-)

I am always up for new ideas that anyone can do for fun physical activities. Let us all share our ideas here in the post. You might suggest something that others can do but they never even thought of! Here's your chance to help other's in this online community get active, lose weight and/or stay fit!

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I love swimming and would do it every day if I could. I enjoy lane swimming and it never feels like exercise to me. This mroning I swam for 40 minutes and burned 500 calories. I joined a new gym with a pool just to have access to it year round.
  • klybarger
    Options
    I love to geocache (lots of walking) and kayaking.
  • gipsiwriter
    gipsiwriter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to work out UNLESS Its fun lol. Im sure alot of us do. I try to go rollerskating at the rink a couple times a month to break the monotony. And when I get tired and my calves and shins are burning (thats alot of weight on 8 tiny wheels lol), theres a bench nearby to take a breather lol. I also love raquetball (play just like you do tennis, but less ball chasing, and alot faster), and get together with friends to play basketball, volleyball, tetherball, etc. Unfortunately, now that the winter season is upon us, im gonna have to just get more creative in the gym again. Oh, and of course me and the kids dance sometimes... we like the 70's funk cd lol (Play that funky music whiteboy, brickhouse.... you get the idea lol)...oh yeah! and I love my bellydance workout videos by veena and neena. Make me feel seeeexy after lol
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I find martial arts a great way to exercise. We have a Nisei karate club right in our neighbourhood. I used to practice tai chi with the Sensei and one day I decided to step it up a level and join the club. We're not trying to train UFC fighters; the emphasis is on exercise and self-defense. It's fun because there are always new things to learn, and it's a very social, friendly atmosphere.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I :heart: badminton!!!! Unfortunately, none of my friends will play with me. :grumble: I had one who kept it up for a while a couple summers ago, but a medical problem has kept him from doing anything physical for a while now. My boyfriend enjoys raquetball ... but I refuse to play with him because he hits it WAY too hard and all I do is end up ducking for cover. :laugh:

Swimming is great, though!! And, I enjoy going for walks at the park with friends when we all have free time!
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    I run 3 days a week with my squadron (Air Force)...besides that i love to play racquetball and basketball....both are great cardio workouts especially racquetball...i seem to be drenched from it every time i play
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I know I probably sound stupid but is raquetball like tennis? What is it
  • gipsiwriter
    gipsiwriter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know I probably sound stupid but is raquetball like tennis? What is it

Of course you dont sound stupid. Raquetball is like tennis, with blue balls in a little room. The ball bounces off 4 walls and sometimes the ceiling lol. I love when i duck and it flies by, and bounces off the wall, just to peg me in the butt on the way back lol.
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Its funny because after I started this post, last night my fiance and I were talking all about racket ball. I have seen people play but never really knew the point and concept. He told me all about it minutes before we found out that our community is actually building racketball courts that we are getting this spring so I look forward to playing racketball!