gastric bypass surgery

Options
Has anyone here had gastric bypass surgery specifically the sleeve? I am hoping I will be scheduled in late July or August. Would like to hear from anyone about their success or feedback?

Replies

• chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had a FULL bypass in 2005 and it did not do much for me... only lost bout 50lbs and most of that is back now....
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Unless you truly do not have the mental stamina to change to a healthy lifestyle or have a pending medical issue which is forcing this, I highly advise to keep your money.

Living a healthy lifestyle a dramatic change for most people in American, now. And it takes mental focus and awareness to succeed. Change the mindset, and go buy something nice when you achieve :)

If you are having problems dieting...here is what I worked for me
    Here is how I approached everything at the beginning:
    1) THE MOST IMPORTANT thing in changing to a healthy lifestyle is Mental. REALIZE where you are (it appears you have this), VISUALIZE what it is you WANT, CHOOSE to get it (This is far easier to say than do), Take ACTION upon the right choices which bring you to SUCCESS. Without being MENTALLY FOCUSED, you will not succeed.

2) Your Diet - this is not some Fad bullcrap that you are going to do for 8 or 12 weeks and think....wow, Im going to lose to so much and then be able to go back to how you ate before. THIS IS A LIFESTYLE. Remember that a Diet is the regular regimen of nutritional intake. Your diet is the SECOND MOST IMPORTANT part of your journey. Want to eat a Twinkie...hell, yes...eat that spongie goodness. Just know that you need to maintain or Top Priority of Goals - Caloric Intake. Without having your DIET right, you will NOT succeed.

3) Move your body. I dont know your overall physical condition..but overall, you will do better with exercise. And with Exercising, BUILD MUSCLE. If you do not, your body will ravage what muscle mass you still have, leading you on a "Skinny Fat" path. Additionally, by building muscle mass, you WILL BURN FAT FASTER. You dont need to bulk up, but you do need to build it.

4) YOU ARE YOUR OWN MOTIVATION. This falls back on #1. If YOU don't want it, YOU will not get it. OWN UP, OWN THE CHOICE. OWN THE ACTION. OWN THE SUCCESS!

5) Last and foremost....THERE ARE NO HEALTHY SHORTCUTS, MAGIC PILLS, LIQUIDS OR MAGIC PEE that will make this quicker. This is a journey to a new you. Stay Focused, Determined, Take ACTION and SUCCEED!

EVERY Moment is what you Create. Make it Greatness.
  • kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery in September 2010, after resisting it for 20 years while watching my weight balloon up and up and up. I was close to 400 pounds when I finally realized all the dieting, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, etc just were never going to work for me. I was willing to accept getting the lap-band procedure as it was at least reasonably reversible if I wasn't happy. After meeting the doctors and learning more about it and the sleeve and the bypass, I decided the bypass was the way for me to go. It could be reversed, if necessary, although it was be more invasive if I did that. However, the sleeve procedure is not reversible at all and that scared me more.

Now, little more than a year and a half later, I'm down to 183 pounds, am in fantastic health, no longer take the medications I was taking because of the complications of obesity. I haven't even had so much as a cold since the surgery! I think that's due to the amount of vitamins I take as well as the healthy lifestyle that the bypass procedure forced me to take. As the weight started dropping, I began working out more and more to make it drop even faster. Now I can run 5-6 miles a day, climb about 300 flights of stairs and lift weights.

Whichever procedure you do, it will be a major lifestyle change. The thing to remember is that the procedure is only a tool. A hammer doesn't build a house by itself. It takes someone using the hammer to build a house. Same with these procedures. That means you have to use it to your best advantage and than means starting a more active lifestyle. You don't have to jump into really strenuous exercising right away. Start out easy and slowly increase as you feel you're able to. I started out barely walking a couple miles/hour. Now I'm running between 5-6 mph.

Best of luck! Feel free to contact me if you would like any more information on my experience.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had RNY in 2002, lost 130 pounds and didn't get to goal weight. I gained back about 50 of which I have now lost 30. So I'm 20 lbs away from my lowest weight after surgery which was about 40 pounds higher than my true goal weight.

Yes I lost a lot and I lost it fast. But I didn't continue to watch my diet carefully and am now suffering the consequences. Surgery was, I still think, the right thing for me at the time because of compromised health. But it's not "GONE FOREVER" like everything thinks, it's not easy to maintain, it's not a final solution.

So I'm back on the diet path like everyone else. This time however, I am determined. I am not dieting, I'm changing my life, changing my eating habits. I am focused on goal weight and though I know it'sll take a year, I'm devoting the next year to fixing all that is wrong with my relationship to food. And I have to say that 6 months into this journey, I'm having the most non-surgical success that I've ever had in my entire life. I believe I can do it and I think I will.

Yes surgery is yet another weapon in the fight and it's right for some. But if you think it will correct your weight issues, IT WILL NOT. Only you and your brain can do that. Surgery is, in my opinion, a jump start. In order to be successful, you'll have to change your eating habits, log your food, exercise, watch your intake/calories/macros. Sound familiar?
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2008 after many years of research. It was the right decision for me. I learned healthy habits while I was losing and have kept off all 205 pounds that I lost. I am so thankful to have my life back!!
  • beckykabq
    beckykabq Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow that is great and encouraging. I am hoping to have the sleeve done by early August. Really encouraging to hear you have kept it off.
  • Linz1087
    Linz1087 Posts: 8
    Options
    Have you had your surgery date set yet? I myself just start on the path to having the surgery on June 19th and am already approved and set to have the surgery on September 5th. I couldn't be more excited but I am really scared at the same time simply because of my boys. I know i have what it takes to continue on the path of eating correctly because of the lifestyle choices we have been making and changing for the last year and have managed a good loss on my own. But I still have a long way to go and two very bad hips I had since I was a child and have been advised the faster I can get the weight off the better or I will be looking at a wheelchair because there isn't a orthopedic surgeon who will take the risk of putting me on a table at my current weight to replace both hips like I need. My surgeon also has me visiting his Endocrinologist that is on staff because after going through everything with my husband and me they believe my weight issue isn't entirely food choice related.
  • beckykabq
    beckykabq Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have one more appt with the nutritionist and the psych eval this week. Then the surgeon will review next week and submit to the insurance company. They said they usually can have it approved in 10 days or so. Hopefully I will be done by mid July.

Sounds like you are really determined to be successful which is the biggest part of this lifestyle change.

Good luck! We can keep each other motivated.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery in 2008 and lost 165 lbs. (100 pounds of it in the first three months). My surgeon thankfully has a long involved process to ensure success after surgery.

To all those who believe that gastic surgery is an "easy fix" let me assure you it is not! It was an eighteen month process for me with nutritional counseling, a psychological exam, etc to ensure you would continue success. After surgery offers its own challenges for sure.

For me, it was about 5 years thinking of having it. Trying all sorts of weight loss sites, Weight Watchers multiple times and I could not keep it off.

Having gastric bypass surgery was the best personal decision of my life! It literally saved my life from diabetes and high blood pressure.

Anyone who wants suport through and after surgery, I invite you to friend me!
    Laurie
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am currently going the entire process for weightloss surgery approval. I have finally done all the appointments, tests, and counseling sessions and meet with my surgeon on the 16th to get a date. I could not possibly agree with you more that this surgery is not an easy fix! Everything that has to change---and its more than just eatting better and exercising!

Congrats on losing 165 lbs! That is absolutely amazing!

Ruby
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Unless you truly do not have the mental stamina to change to a healthy lifestyle or have a pending medical issue which is forcing this, I highly advise to keep your money.

Living a healthy lifestyle a dramatic change for most people in American, now. And it takes mental focus and awareness to succeed. Change the mindset, and go buy something nice when you achieve :)

If you are having problems dieting...here is what I worked for me
    Here is how I approached everything at the beginning:
    1) THE MOST IMPORTANT thing in changing to a healthy lifestyle is Mental. REALIZE where you are (it appears you have this), VISUALIZE what it is you WANT, CHOOSE to get it (This is far easier to say than do), Take ACTION upon the right choices which bring you to SUCCESS. Without being MENTALLY FOCUSED, you will not succeed.

2) Your Diet - this is not some Fad bullcrap that you are going to do for 8 or 12 weeks and think....wow, Im going to lose to so much and then be able to go back to how you ate before. THIS IS A LIFESTYLE. Remember that a Diet is the regular regimen of nutritional intake. Your diet is the SECOND MOST IMPORTANT part of your journey. Want to eat a Twinkie...hell, yes...eat that spongie goodness. Just know that you need to maintain or Top Priority of Goals - Caloric Intake. Without having your DIET right, you will NOT succeed.

3) Move your body. I dont know your overall physical condition..but overall, you will do better with exercise. And with Exercising, BUILD MUSCLE. If you do not, your body will ravage what muscle mass you still have, leading you on a "Skinny Fat" path. Additionally, by building muscle mass, you WILL BURN FAT FASTER. You dont need to bulk up, but you do need to build it.

4) YOU ARE YOUR OWN MOTIVATION. This falls back on #1. If YOU don't want it, YOU will not get it. OWN UP, OWN THE CHOICE. OWN THE ACTION. OWN THE SUCCESS!

5) Last and foremost....THERE ARE NO HEALTHY SHORTCUTS, MAGIC PILLS, LIQUIDS OR MAGIC PEE that will make this quicker. This is a journey to a new you. Stay Focused, Determined, Take ACTION and SUCCEED!

EVERY Moment is what you Create. Make it Greatness.

Great words of wisdom Big Daddy!!
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I thought about having weight loss surgery but my insurance won't cover it. So I decided I would lose it without having surgery. It will take a lot of work but I know I can do it. I wish you luck!
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My aunt had gastric bypass like 10 years ago and lost probably around 100 pounds. She also had some lipo since then, more specifically, right before her wedding.
    She's kept all (or at least, as far as I can tell, all) of the weight off since then, and she had a baby almost two years ago.
    She obviously had to eat much, much smaller portions after the surgery, and she kept the smaller portion sizes since then, which helped her keep the weight off. She also finished all of her work for her master's degree and has used that time to work on home renovations (building an extra room, shed, deck, etc. and creating a huge garden), so she's also been more active since the surgery.
    If you don't use the surgery as your sole weight loss method but rather use it to hasten your progress while keeping in mind the fact that you must eat much less foods of a higher quality and be more active, then you should be able to keep the weight off.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    80lbs in a year with the surgery! I was close to 400 too. @361. Now @ 279!!! Best wishes!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I thought about having weight loss surgery but my insurance won't cover it. So I decided I would lose it without having surgery. It will take a lot of work but I know I can do it. I wish you luck!

Same here, went for the evaluation, and found my insurance only paid a very small part, so I had to realize I must do this on my own. I am working hard at it, it isn't coming off near as fast but it is coming off.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • omandi
    omandi Posts: 2
    Options
    I had the duodenal switch, which is the sleeve in combination with intestinal malabsorption. The success rates for it are much better than the RNY, especially in terms of regain. I'm 16 months out and down 130 lbs since surgery (and I'm considered a "slow" loser!) There's a lot of information about it on the web, though it's not as common as the "bypass" (RNY), it has fewer side effects and lots of long-term benefits. I strongly encourage you to research it before you go under the knife.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am probably not the right one to ask about this but I am going to give you my opinion anyway. I am a nurse so I am sure that all I see are the negative cases. I have not had any experience with the lap band, but the gastric bypass can be bad news. If it works and you don't have any health complications fantastic, but the cases I have seen in my line of work are scary. These people develop bleeds, malabsorption, and in some cases anorexia. I had a patient that could never eat again and had to be fed through a permanent IV line in her chest until her death. It isn't something to mess around with. If my weight was gonna kill me tomorrow would be the only way I would take such a chance. Don't listen to anyone else though. Do your research and be sure!
  • TamTamW
    TamTamW Posts: 27
    Options
    The sleeve is much more successful than the other ones but you still have to make a lifestyle change no matter which one you get. It is not a quick fix. I have had friends that have had different ones and one has worked because she has made a change and one has not because she did not make a lifestyle change.

Good Luck!
  • mmessinger0718
    mmessinger0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have not had the surgery, but based off of my observations of the people I work with that have had the surgery, you need to learn healthy habits now and not depend on the surgery to make you lose weight. The people that I have seen that have embraced the new healthy lifestyle along with the surgery are the ones that have lost the weight and been able to keep it off. I'm not saying you have to 100% healthy 100% of the time. If you want a brownie - eat a brownie but don't eat 15 of them.

I have noticed that the people that depend entirely on the surgery lost a lot of weight initially, but put it right back on and then some. At first they didn't eat much because of the surgery but what they did eat was fast food. Now that they can eat more, they continue to shove the fast food and gallon of sweet tea a day in their body and have gained everything back.

Make sure you are ready to make the commitment to a healthier lifestyle and not depend solely on this surgery. You will waste your money and time if you do that. Good luck.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have not had the surgery, but based off of my observations of the people I work with that have had the surgery, you need to learn healthy habits now and not depend on the surgery to make you lose weight. The people that I have seen that have embraced the new healthy lifestyle along with the surgery are the ones that have lost the weight and been able to keep it off. I'm not saying you have to 100% healthy 100% of the time. If you want a brownie - eat a brownie but don't eat 15 of them.

I have noticed that the people that depend entirely on the surgery lost a lot of weight initially, but put it right back on and then some. At first they didn't eat much because of the surgery but what they did eat was fast food. Now that they can eat more, they continue to shove the fast food and gallon of sweet tea a day in their body and have gained everything back.

Make sure you are ready to make the commitment to a healthier lifestyle and not depend solely on this surgery. You will waste your money and time if you do that. Good luck.

Listen to this person, having the band is no easy fix! I havent got one, nor do i want one! but i have a friend who does, and it hasent been an easy fix! you'll loose the weight quickly but in that speed it ruins your skin, doesnt build muscle, doesnt improve your health past the weight loss... and she now looks in the mirror wishing she could afford the surgery to loose all of the exess skin and subcutanious fat she now still has due to the speed of the loss (which is everywhere)!

...And she's no healther as she hasn't adopted a healthier lifestyle so still has several medical problems.

I'd say do it naturally and be proud of your achievements, although it is your choice!

On a funny side note, i was listening to a show on 'fat 2 fit radio' and they brough up this topic. In Canada you can wait 10 years for surgery, they calculated that if a 320lb person reduced their calorie intake by 292 for that entire period of waiting, theyd get down to a BMI of 25 (in the middle of average) before the surgery day!