Protein Shake?

Options
Are protein shakes really necessary if one is working out regularly? My trainer highly recommends them, but he also sells Herbalife at the gym. I vehemently dislike the consistency of the shakes. Opinions?

Replies

• tmuster
    tmuster Posts: 72
    Options
    Protein shakes are really good for pre and post workouts.. They help out with recovery of your muscles and good source of protein. I like the 100Calorie Muscle Milk Light cartons.
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They are not NECESSARY! They are just conveneint and a quick way to get protein in. You can eat real foods and it will be the same difference.
  • feverinside
    feverinside Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No- you don't NEED them.

You don't have to drink them if you don't want to. They wont add/take away anything if you nurtition is already on point. Just get your macros in.

As a matter of personal opinion though... they are awesome. And homemade ones are really much better than the premade ones if you do it right. (Although I have been known to grab some premade ones for convience.)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough protein every day? Then no, you don't need protein shakes. Nutrient timing is a myth.
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    i understand it helps if you are weight training and for recovery
    i suggest you do some reading on other sites as well before you may a choice....

but as sum1 said, if u dont like em or really need em you should go for it....natural foods can always give u same if u not better results...you just need to be careful with what those foods are....

check online....in many many places...
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I use this stuff. at least, have for the last month or so. definitely helps.

(started with chocolate peanut butter. have moved to vanilla, because then I can add my own flavoring. have used various berries, bananas ... favorite so far is peaches. today added some sugar free hot fudge topping. it was pretty awesome.)

44315.png
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Are protein shakes really necessary if one is working out regularly? My trainer highly recommends them, but he also sells Herbalife at the gym. I vehemently dislike the consistency of the shakes. Opinions?

I use body by vi shakes for one reason... there is NO way i could eat all of the food in one shake. for instance..

In ONE shake, you get all this nutrition.. and all for 90 calories:
    13 eggs
    1.5 cups of broccoli
    5 peaches
    2 chicken breasts
    1.5 cups frozen yogurt
    1.5 cups bran flakes
    18 oz. tomato juice
    5oz. cheddar cheese
    3 cups lima beans
    15 slices wheat bread
    20 spears asparagus
    2 cups mushrooms
    30 apples
    10 stalks celery
    3 tomatos
    3 pineapples
    30 prunes

I need the nutrition for my health, so thats my reason.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sufficient protein throughout the day, then protein shakes are not necessary.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I use body by vi shakes for one reason... there is NO way i could eat all of the food in one shake. for instance..

13 eggs
    1.5 cups of broccoli
    5 peaches
    2 chicken breasts
    1.5 cups frozen yogurt
    1.5 cups bran flakes
    18 oz. tomato juice
    5oz. cheddar cheese
    3 cups lima beans
    15 slices wheat bread
    20 spears asparagus
    2 cups mushrooms
    30 apples
    10 stalks celery
    3 tomatos
    3 pineapples
    30 prunes

Sorry, but that's marketing, not reality.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    that seems like a bit much to cram into 90 calories and a cup.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I use the shakes because I generally don't have the time nor will to cook up breakfast, etc. It's easier for me to dump the powder in a cup mix it, drink it and be on my way. But, if you don't like the protein shakes, you can get the same results by eating the corresponding amount of lean protein.

But it's hard to beat the convenience of 50 grams of protein in a glass!
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The Body Fortress brand is my favorite too - yummy! I like to make chocolate and banana shakes. But I agree with the above as well, they are not necessary - you can eat your food instead of drink it too :wink:
  • carolzoo
    carolzoo Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree that you don't really need them but at the same time they can help. I have read that chocolate milk is great as it gives some carbs and protein. I just did a bike race this past weekend and learned something about myself- I did well with food the day before and during the race -and felt great just after the race. However, I did not eat a good meal or shake or enough water after and went downhill for several hours. Live and learn!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

no, not necessary. if you're getting all the protein you need from whole foods, which is easily possible, then you don't need any shakes. shakes are merely a convenience factor.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No. If you get enough protein from food, they're not necessary.
    They definitely do make it easier to get enough protein though and make it a lot easier with eating.
  • ghjklo9
    ghjklo9 Posts: 57
    Options
    Not necessary. Theyre SUPPLEMENTS. They are just high quality protein, which is a good thing. They make reaching your protein intake easier. Theyre good to eat after your workout. Other than that, they arent anything magical. I have some everyday. Go for the "Optimum Nutrition" brand.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

13 eggs
    1.5 cups of broccoli
    5 peaches
    2 chicken breasts
    1.5 cups frozen yogurt
    1.5 cups bran flakes
    18 oz. tomato juice
    5oz. cheddar cheese
    3 cups lima beans
    15 slices wheat bread
    20 spears asparagus
    2 cups mushrooms
    30 apples
    10 stalks celery
    3 tomatos
    3 pineapples
    30 prunes

I read it even has one fabled Tear of Chuck Norris per serving, quite amazing.

This stuff cures cancer.

BTW, is there a reason they mention the yogurt is frozen? Is there much difference between 1.5cup of regular yogurt?

This post is freaking hilarious! Where is acg67 when we need him :p

Side note for OP : Nothing wrong with whole food, eat your macro target of protein and don't think about it anymore. Have fun!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Not necessary. That's as long as you get ample protein from your diet.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

No, protein shake is food. If you can get enough protein in your diet, you do not need a shake. However, they are tasty if you get the right brand and easy to consume if you don't have time to eat your protein. Plus, they are highly bio-available and fast digesting.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I like them because they are yummy <3 I'm looking for recipes on how to make one that tastes like a frappe. They are goof if you aren't getting enough protein. I like them as a mean replacement.