HELP....beginner in strength training

Options
Does anyone have an at-home strength training routine? I don't know how many reps, how much weight, or times per week. I am back to becoming healthy after 9 years of school and 2 jobs. I am currently engaged in the Insanity work out, month 2 day 2, but feel I need more strength training, especially upper body. I don't belong to a gym and would rather do the training at home with free weights....any and all suggestions are welcome for success?

Replies

• Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    Its an oldie but one that I started my strength training with. Look up the Spartacus blood and sand routine. You just need dumbbells you are comfortable using. They don't need to be more than 20. I started with 10s. Otherwise, there are body weight workouts like pushups for upper body strength. If you do the blood and sand routine, you better be ok with a burn after your 1st few sessions.

If you want a decent book on body weight workouts look for "Convict Conditioning" or "You are your own gym"
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump bc I'll need check this later bc I am clueless about the most basic aspects of strength training.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    The best weight /strength training investment I ever made was to hire a personal trainer. If you find a good-reputable trainer they will get show you the ropes and set you up on a good program that will work with your abilities and goals. Really, if you're just getting started it;'s very important you learn how to do it right. Do not be afraid to lift heavy - no barbie weights, start with something you can handle and build on it.
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the guidance...I'm going to check them out!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it at home, look into 'you are your own gym.' It's solid.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Its an oldie but one that I started my strength training with. Look up the Spartacus blood and sand routine. You just need dumbbells you are comfortable using. They don't need to be more than 20. I started with 10s. Otherwise, there are body weight workouts like pushups for upper body strength. If you do the blood and sand routine, you better be ok with a burn after your 1st few sessions.

If you want a decent book on body weight workouts look for "Convict Conditioning" or "You are your own gym"

I have been looking for a home work out which includes dumbbells (as all I have at home) and the Spartacus one looks perfect so thank you for sharing!!