Fitbit device - do they help?

Options
2»

Replies

• SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I've had it since October and I have logged 2,692,000 steps and 1,165 miles. It really helps me stay active. I put it on as soon as I get up every day. I have lost 16 lbs. It is a motivator and helps me bring focus back to my weight loss journey when I get sidetracked. From the reports of friends who have them as well, customer service for fitbit is great and the devices are readily replaced if they break. I have a hrm as well, which I don't use because it is unwieldy and uncomfortable
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this cause I've been wondering the same thing! I'm toying with the idea of buying one but don't know anyone personally that has one. I did have a friend of mine look into them for me (he's a general manager at a gym so I figured he'd be a good person to ask) He said that everyone he talked to says it's legit and has helped them. It sounds like that's what everyone where who has used it before thinks. Let us know what you think when you get it!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i like mine solely for the sleep tracker.
  • marcf2001
    marcf2001 Posts: 110
    Options
    I love mine too, it is a great motivator.
    Got it a bit over 3 months ago. At this time, I was doing less than 5000 steps/day.

It pushed me to do 10k, then 12k, some day even more. Now I have done over 1.5 million steps with it.

If your cardio is mainly walking or running, it is just perfect. Very small, you can wear it all day and forget about it. It only needs to charge for 1 hour or so every week or 10 days.
    I have used hrm for running and they are more precise to give you HR, speed and so, but the chest strap is quite unconfortable.
    I still have my HRM (polar RS400) and I used it when running, but I still keep my Fitbit on anyway. To be honest, I use the HRM to control my HR, not really to count calories. So whatever the calorie number and how accurate it is, I don't really care.

I had also some other pedometers in the past, but noting the values each day is quickly becoming a pain.
    Here just sit at your desk close to the computer and it syncs within the minute.
    It really pushed you to do more steps and move.

and I confirm, great customer support. Mine broke 1 month ago, maybe the button exposed to too much sweating, I don;t know. They replaced it right away.
  • debk3p2
    debk3p2 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Love mine. It helps keep me active throughout the day. Pre-fitbit - I focused more on getting in that one block of exercise per day. I think, at least for me, that being more active all day long has been much more effective than hitting the gym once a day. I've got a bum knee too - so I move pretty slow. Still seems to help.

Debbie
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My daughter gave me one for Mother's Day - it really makes a difference for me. Last year, I was much more motivated, but I've had a bit of a tough time keeping at it this year. Well, honestly, until she gave me the Fitbit, I was doing awful!

I find it extremely motivating esp. since I have fibromyalgia. For some reason, my pain level has increased lately, so its even harder to get myself out there to walk. But now, I'll give myself that extra little push, even tackling stairs when I can choose an elevator sometimes (I have to be careful not to overdo it - I am famous for that!)

A little extra that is helping me is tracking my sleep, too. I didn't even realize that I was only getting 5 - 6 hrs of sleep a night! Fortunately for me, that little device tells me I don't wake up too much (normally) after I fall asleep. I think my sleep problem is an unfortunate sort of 'training' I went through - because of years of living with someone else, who, through no fault of their own, kept me awake every night. Plus living through years of keeping my adrenaline going by being in an abusive relationship (many, many yrs ago). Has taken me this long to rectify my crazy sleep patterns - well, I haven't totally resolved it yet, but at least I know that's a major problem for me - thanks to the little Fitbit my daughter got me!
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Love mine. It helps keep me active throughout the day. Pre-fitbit - I focused more on getting in that one block of exercise per day. I think, at least for me, that being more active all day long has been much more effective than hitting the gym once a day. I've got a bum knee too - so I move pretty slow. Still seems to help.

Debbie

This is a great point. It helps you to focus on the bigger picture. Instead of finding time to get your workout in, you're thinking more of parking in the back of the parking lot, or taking the stairs rather than the elevator- all to meet those FB goals.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I had one but unfortunately it stopped working in less than a week. It was kind of cool, it showed steps taken, stairs climbed and when you plug it in it syncs with mfp so you'll see the additional cals burned. Personally I didn't think it was worth replacing and ended up getting a polar hrm instead which I love bc it tells you exact cals burned, not an approximate like the fitbit of the cardio equiptment....

you should have emailed customer service...they probably would have mailed you a free replacement.

I know they will! They have replaced mine and my mothers plus they can help you get it working again if possible.
  • I have just placed an order - I wonder if it will make a difference - it sounds like a neat gadget but does paying money make you excercise more?
    I have previously failed previous pedometers - dropped, fill into the loo, lost interest.
    What do you think?

I'm pretty sure you got your answer but just in case you needed one more positive comment about fitbit, I love mine so much, it has become a healthy addiction for me, if I'm driving to work and realize I forgot mine, I turn around and go get it, even if that makes me late for work!
    When I started, I was only walking about 2500 steps but now I'm over 20000 on a regular basis! Love Love Love my fitbit!
  • jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump:
    I have been convinced also just placed my order
  • coulsonjf
    coulsonjf Posts: 8
    Options
    I love mine. I have lost a ton of pedometers trying to count my exercise, but the fit-bit you can hook right to the middle of your bra, so no more falling of your waistband:) I made a commitment on my birthday that no matter how what I have to log 10,000 steps a day to ensure I get to celebrate the next!
  • jody2807
    Options
    Next step might be Fit Bit fan club:laugh:
  • jody2807
    Options
    Bump
    For Barry
  • jody2807
    Options
    Bump
  • jody2807
    Options
    Whoooooo hooo I have received my Fit bit today .. so will be interesting to see how it works ect .