Calorie Deficit

Options
I want to know about the calorie allowance I have for everyday, my goal is 1690 calculated by my fitness pal. My question is, does that total include the deficit needed for my body to lose weight?

Also, am I suppose to eat back the calories i burn from exercising? or just leave it how it is?

For example today I ate 1785 , my goal is 1690, i got 387 from exercising, leaving me 292 calories that could be eaten.

Am i suppose to or should I eat those calories to reach my goal of 1690?

Hope i didn't confuse anyone!

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• munty76
    munty76 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this, but I would say that if you are hungry and need the energy then eat up to your target in a sensible way. If you are not hungry and feel good then leave as is, the extra deficit will just speed up your weight loss.

Thats at least how iv been handling by intake. some days if iv trained hard , but am not hungry ill be well below my target, other days im struggling to keep to my target.
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    MFP has a deficit figured in for what you said was your activity level and goal loss per week. SO if you were right about your activity level, then you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories.

I figured out my TDEE and set a deficit from that. I find it easier than trying to keep track of exercise. I have a fitbit and use it to make sure I am hitting my target though.

Jackie
  • michaelispas
    michaelispas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit range

Men

6′ and above: 1900-2200 calories per day
    5’6 – 5’11: 1700-1900 calories per day
    Less than 5’6: 1500

Women

5’6 and above: 1200-1400 calories per day
    Under 5’6: 1000-1200 calories per day

You just stay at the same caloric amount, you don't eat back exercise calories otherwise you'd lose less weight than you should.

What ratios are you eating at? I eat 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat to lose body fat until my goal weight and body fat percent. If you want, you can custom set it to your own calories amount and ratios and just stay with it. Let me know if you have any questions at all. Feel free to add me if you want to see diary ideas, best of luck to you!
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit range

Men

Women

You just stay at the same caloric amount, you don't eat back exercise calories otherwise you'd lose less weight than you should.

What ratios are you eating at? I eat 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat to lose body fat until my goal weight and body fat percent. If you want, you can custom set it to your own calories amount and ratios and just stay with it. Let me know if you have any questions at all. Feel free to add me if you want to see diary ideas, best of luck to you!

Where did you get these numbers from? They seem right based on my own experience, but never seen 1000-1200 recommended on the forums before! x
  • baabaabetsy
    Options
    That sounds about right. If your goal is weight loss, I would recommend NOT eating back those calories. Just stick with the 1700 calories and go from there.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Did you use MFP to calculate your calorie allowance?
    If so, then the way their calculations work mean that you should eat more when you exercise in order to reach the total amount of calories recommended.
    I don't think you have to eat every single calorie- all the numbers we are working with (BMR, food, exercise etc) are estimates so it probably won't make much difference if you eat a bit under or over.
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

If you use another system then you need to see if that already includes extra cals when you exercise.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Its a hard one and everyone is different. I joined here as I was trying but not losing weight. My calories were lower than the recommended 1250 from MFP and I do a fair amount of exercise.

I have been actively trying to eat at least the 1250 and some of my exercise cals back too and pleased to say the weight is starting to come off. I'm keeping with this plan for now but I know there are some here who dont eat back and are eating way less calories too.

like I say its a hard one to decipher. Good luck in finding out what works for you

there is a group about eating more to weigh less which may be worth a visit.
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i was rated at 2400/day but i only really eat 1200 calories total.. i work out twice a day, so in the end i burn all it off. just like today im -7 into my calories lol i burned more than i ate.. and im keeping it this way. i was never hungry either. and had plenty of energy. + drink lots of water..
  • ShadowSP7
    ShadowSP7 Posts: 53
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts, I have a much better understanding of how this works now! thanks
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Um, I am eating at 2151, based on my TDEE from my Fitbit. I am losing between 1/2 to 1 pound a week. Some weeks a bit more, tom usually none at all.

So those numbers so aren't right for me. Oh and I am 162cm so around 5/4 I think.

Jackie
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit range

Men

Women

No thanks - I'd die only eating 1000-1200 cals a day!
    1500 - 2400 cals/day has worked fine for me, these numbers seem ridiculously low to be throwing out there as a recommendation based purely on height.

OP, take everything you read here (my post included!) with a pinch of salt.
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Honestly everyone is different so you really have to find out what is going to work for you. What works for one person may not work for you. I started out eating 1200 and never eating back my exercise calories and I did great. There were a couple of plateaus I had so I tried different things, like eating back my exercise calories and I ended up gaining.

Your body is going to tell you if your not getting enough fuel for the amount of exercising your doing, so listen to your body!

Good luck, email me if you ever need anything.

Julie