Tips for working out in extreme heat?

Options
PANZERIA
PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
I know some of you live in climates were it is very, VERY hot all year round (to me, anyways). I'm from Canada, and our temp is usually between15 degrees celcius and 25 degrees in the summer, and then always under zero in the winter - typically between -10 and -30, depending on the time of year.

Well, for the past week, it's been +35. I haven't worked out in three days because of the extreme heat and I worry that if I do, I'll overheat. I don't have a gym or air conditioning and I can't afford it.

Any tips or advice? I really want to work out but I'm nervous.

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    When I'm riding home from work in the heat (110+) I will

1. Get my jersey and hair wet to help me stay cool.
    2. Go slower
    4. Drink lots of water, ice in the water when I leave work.
    5. Electrolytes in my water. I get a liquid that I can just squeeze into my drink.
  • SarahK2710
    Options
    Hey, I'm in Saskatoon, and I feel your pain, but I'd rather this heat than the Blizzard of '09 again. I've been making myself get up earlier in the morning so it isn't as hot. Even with the A/C blasting my house is hot right now.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    When I'm riding home from work in the heat (110+) I will

1. Get my jersey and hair wet to help me stay cool.
    2. Go slower
    4. Drink lots of water, ice in the water when I leave work.
    5. Electrolytes in my water. I get a liquid that I can just squeeze into my drink.

All of the above is great advice plus can I add: sunscreen, cap, sunglasses and workout either early morning or late in the afternoon. The most important thing is to protect yourself from the heat inside (stay hydrated) and out (wear sunscreen). If you're a woman and want to run at night to avoid the sun, bring your mace.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm in Saskatoon, and I feel your pain, but I'd rather this heat than the Blizzard of '09 again. I've been making myself get up earlier in the morning so it isn't as hot. Even with the A/C blasting my house is hot right now.

You're in Saskatoon?? I'm in Green Lake! =D Let's be friends! Lol.

I don't have AC. Wish I did. It got up to 38 degrees here. Uuuugggghhh...diiiiieeeee!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Workout either earlier in the day or later in the evening as these are times when it's usually cooler.

My biggest concern would be heat exhaustion, heat stroke and dehydration. Work out in the shade if you can, and make sure to stay hydrated.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lady_who_Lunches
    Options
    I am living in Brunei in South East Asia at the moment. It is a steady 33C all year round so I either get up early or wait for sun down
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Every summer when I stayed the summers with my sister in Colorado with 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105+ we just waited until 8 pm to go for 1.5 hour walks on trails with hills, etc. that was the best workout, the sun is still up at that time.

Late at night workouts
    Early early morning workouts
    Lots of water, salt/electrolytes, fans on you, spray bottle filled with ice water, icy cold towel around the neck, fill a bucket/pan of ice water to put feet into when you get too hot, window air conditioning units, lots of ice around (buy bags), don't go out in the heat of the day anywhere that has no shade or water, etc nearby.

swimming in a pool
    workout in an air conditioned gym
  • MissPorcupine
    Options
    * run either in the early morning or in the evening (9pm, more or less), when the heat comes off a bit.
    * Always remember to DRINK WATER - I'd been unconscious several times because of dehydration and severe heat. Now I go nowhere without my water bottle.
    Take care :)
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I live in the part of the country where we have 100-degree temps most of the summer. Not a problem, though--my favorite workout place is an ice rink, year-round. You should have little difficulty finding one in Canada. ;)
  • Monkee_Magic
    Monkee_Magic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Early or late is better (I find earlier the best), though if you can't manage that you just have to take things a little steadier, if you are out for a long period, camelback or similar keeps a nice flow of liquids. Just don't push it too far.

If you are indoors crank up the fan and get the windows open for that extra breeze, keep a towel on hand too.

Make sure your bits on show get a bit of sunscreen and wear a hat, sweaty head and sunscreen don't work, you'll be wandering around blind in minutes! Good luck.
  • NicoleElaine94
    Options
    I live in Alberta, Canada and I have this issue also! I've been trying to go out and exercise but it has been almost unbearable. I like the idea of wetting your clothing and then going out, that is very clever. :)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    It is past midnight and 95 degrees here. So working out at night is a terrible idea where I live. I prefer waking up early before the sun to get my workout in. Then as a reward I watch the sunrise and then go indoors and hide until the heat passes.

On days where it reaches 115 I drink diluted Powerade because I tend to pass out easily.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I live in Phoenix az, and there are a rediculous amount of fit people there! In fact when I moved from Ohio I felt SOOO fat...a few motnhs later I got the same comment from the woman who moved from MN that people there were so much skinnier. You see people out CONSTANTLY hiking running and biking...at 4:15 am. You want the peak of your work out done before the 'blazing sun's approach. It's actually motivating to get out of bed, a game to outrun the sun. We have one hike where if you time it right the sun wont hit u until you reach the top IF you leave by 4:15 but if you leave even 20 min later for most of the summer...it makes the whole procsess infinately miserable. Also morning is better b/c it's the coolest time of day. Right before dawn is gonna be much better than when the earth baked until night. Find a route that is in hilly areas for shade longer.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I live in the muggy southeast and working out early is generally cooler than late, but its also when the humidity is at its highest. Nothing like being a soaking mess 5 minutes into your workout. I fill my camelbak with ice water and try to hydrate throughout the day.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Go in the early morning or evening hours when its cooler. Drink plenty of water.