Ex-smokers 'gain more weight than thought'

Options
kyle4jem
kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
BBC News - Ex-smokers 'gain more weight than thought' http://bbc.in/Le5D8z
The average weight gain associated with giving up smoking is much higher than previously thought, experts have found.

People can expect to put on up to 5kg (11lb) within a year of quitting, research published on bmj.com suggests.

This is more than the typical 3kg often quoted in advice leaflets and the 2.3kg many women smokers say they would be willing to tolerate in order to quit.

But the health benefits of giving up smoking far outweigh what is still a "modest" gain, say experts.

The research, based on results from 62 studies, found that former smokers gained an average of 4.67kg in the 12 months after they quit.

Most of the excess weight was gained during the first three months.

But the changes in body weight varied widely from person to person. About 16% of quitters lost weight, while 13% gained more than 10kg.

Whether the individual used nicotine replacement therapy, such as patches or gum, made no difference in terms of weight.

Weight gain 'deterrent'
The UK and French researchers who carried out the review say their findings are important because if people who are trying to quit have unrealistic expectations they may be more likely to fail in their attempt.

"Weight gain is important because weight concern is widespread among smokers and could deter some from trying to quit."

In an accompanying editorial, Prof Esteve Fernandez, of the University of Barcelona, and Prof Simon Chapman, of the University of Sydney, point out that past studies have also shown that many smokers gain more weight than "never smokers" for a few years, but then the rate of weight gain falls to that seen in people who have never smoked.

And they conclude: "Although obesity is positively associated with an increased risk of all cause mortality, cohort studies indicate that modest weight gain does not increase the risk of death - smoking does."

NHS advice on giving up smoking says: "When you go smoke-free, your appetite and sense of taste may improve, tempting you to snack more often. Make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks, like fruit or nuts, in the house and hide the crisps!

"Any weight gain need only be temporary. Once you've stopped smoking, you'll find it easier to be active and lose any extra weight."

A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "The health benefits of quitting are well recognised. Each year smoking accounts for over 100,000 deaths in the UK and one in two long-term smokers will die prematurely from a smoking-related disease.

"Getting support from nicotine replacement therapies or medication and the NHS Smokefree service can help in keeping down your weight."

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Well I really want to quit smoking but damn I hate the weight gain side effect. I don't care of the benefits far outweighing it as long as I will gain weight, sorry but no thanks. I want to know how can anyone give up smoking without gaining an ounce. Sorry but that's one thing that I'm really terrified at which is why up to now I can't totally quit. :frown:

Also I read somewhere that nicotine does increase your metabolism & so giving it up will make you gain weight even if you eat the same as when you still smoke. So even if you can somehow manage to control your appetite, you cannot totally avoid weight gain which I really don't like to happen.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking (20 a day) on the 7th January and I started MFP the same day. I'm 4 stone down and only went back on the cigs when a huge thing happened in my life. I will go off them again but my point was, you don't have to put on weight if you don't want to, when you quit. It's in your hands.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ooooh no!! I've started on the Champix friday, due to quit this Friday, this is what has always scared me :sad:
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 5 months ago

I am the lightest I have been in over ten years(prob 15).

If you give up smoking and take up eating you will gain weight. I gave myself two months and then started exercising. Its amazing how many calories you can burn when you take up running as a sub for smoking
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking 40-50 per day just under four years ago and although I did put weight on, it was compensated by being able to run (my chosen exercise) for longer and faster, this meant more calories burned. Unfortuantely, I ate lots of rubbish at the time and piled weight on, but once I put my mind to it (a year later lol) I reduced my calories, was strict with my exercise and the weight came back off.
  • SenhoraFox
    Options
    The first time I stopped smoking was the start of my weight problems. It just happened to have co-incided with me changing my lifestyle in general for the worse (corporate desk job UGH). I picked up 30kg's in about 6 months! Of course I blamed not smoking for it (always easy to blame anything but your own habits) I only lost that weight more than 3 years down the line even though I was smoking again! I decided to stop again this year in February. I started exercising again after a year of not doing much (running, zumba, bokwa, pilates and now strength training) in January. So far.. I picked up 10kg since I stopped smoking:( BUT.. if I look back on it, most of this gain is probably due to a family tragedy that caused me not to be able to exercise or plan meals at all for about a month. Most of it was gained during that time so I can't really blame the lack of *kitten*. :) It's easy to blame anything but ourselves for weight gain. If you stop smoking and maintain a healthy lifestyle, the weight you gain (if you do..) will be minimal and with your healthy lifestyle you'll be able to shake it again. Since stopping, I seem to have bigger lungs. I can run further and faster. I love zumba even more, food tastes better, I look better, smell better and feel MUCH better!
  • sueb12345678
    sueb12345678 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking 8months ago yes i did gain weight but i started training harder and enjoying excersice so much more ie running the weight is now falling off slow but coming off and i feel so much better and health....
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well I really want to quit smoking but damn I hate the weight gain side effect. I don't care of the benefits far outweighing it as long as I will gain weight, sorry but no thanks. I want to know how can anyone give up smoking without gaining an ounce. Sorry but that's one thing that I'm really terrified at which is why up to now I can't totally quit. :frown:

Also I read somewhere that nicotine does increase your metabolism & so giving it up will make you gain weight even if you eat the same as when you still smoke. So even if you can somehow manage to control your appetite, you cannot totally avoid weight gain which I really don't like to happen.
    I quit smoking over a year ago, 2ppd for 30 yrs and I too said the benefits didn't out weigh the risks....but THEY DO!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Sorry, but that's the lamest excuse for not quitting ever. You may die of cancer but you'll look good.........
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain anything.
    I did the first time I quit but I was stuffing food into my mouth like no one's business.

I think the temptation is there to replace smoking with eating but if you have control of your calories then it just won't mysteriously pile on.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I gained around 30lbs over a year when I quit 9 years ago (I smoked 15 cigs a day for 35 years), but it has all come off again now and the huge difference to my lungs, stamina, taste buds, sense of smell (and the way I used to smell!) etc far outweighs the temporary weight gain.

I would never, EVER, take them back up again and my only regret is that I didn't quit long before I did.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I also did not gain a thing. I've been active for years, eating the same things - healthy for the most part. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. Or the fact that I wasn't physically addicted. for me, it was mental. I enjoyed breaking away from the group to have a few minutes to myself and enjoy a cigarette. I enjoyed the evenings my husband and I sat outside with cigarettes and alcohol in the summertime, talking and laughing and bonding.

I realized once I quit, of course, that I can do these things without the cigarettes too. :)

It wasn't hard for me to quit at all. I just quit and never looked back. I did suffer a bit from the withdrawal. I had about a week where I had NO energy at all.

But I didn't eat to replace the cigarettes or anything.
  • biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    Options
    Good to know. I quit in January this year for the 2nd time. I really wanted to quit and did gain 10 pounds. It's easier to burn the calories though with the ease in breathing on the treadmill. :) With weight loss and maintenance in general, even ex smokers just need to stay aware of their weight every day from here on out. Congrats!
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I quit smoking the day I started my weightloss journey, I've lost 29lbs. I don't think it makes a difference
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I quit smoking in 2007. I weigh less now than I did before I started smoking in 1997.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in June 2010, after I'd started down the path of eating healthier and exercising more I'd lost about 2stones (28lbs). Quitting *kitten* put the brakes on and I yo-yo'd for around 6months because I knew I was using cigarettes to suppress my appetite. Took me a while and I did gain back some of the weight I'd lost, but overall I'm still losing, slowly and steadily
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I quit a three pack a day smoking habit in January 2000 cold turkey, being skinny as a beanpole then I gained 20 pounds in 2 months and then lost it in the next 2 months.
    The benefits you gain from quitting far outweigh the added weight your going to put on.
    The weight is far easier to remove then the smoking habit, especially if you hang out here.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking for good on Mar 23, three months after I had started working out and eating right. Endorphin addiction was a wonderful substitute for nicotine addiction. I never suffered a single withdrawal symptom, lost even more weight, and my lung capacity expanded very quickly. I don't miss tobacco at all.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    how awesome to see all the people who have quit smoking and adopted a healthier lifestyle!

I quit smoking 18 years ago and got married. Promptly gained 50 lbs, but I was only 92 at the time so needed to gain SOME - but not that much. While I hate being heavier (I'm 135 right now) I would not smoke again for any reason. I'm a nurse and see what it does to people. My mom died at 59, my brother at 61 - all from heart disease related to smoking. I can pick out people that smoke just based on the amount of wrinkles they have. It happens to everyone that smokes -
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    quit smoking last May and lost half a stone :D