Tips

Options
im 5'11 so quite tall and on 1200 calories a day and gym about 3 times a week, am i doing this right i hardly go over my cals want to lose about 2 stone (28lbs)

Replies

• ForRealAU
    ForRealAU Posts: 17
    Options
    What does your doctor recommend you be eating when working out? Do you eat back your calories from the gym?
  • workkoutchick96
    Options
    I'd recommend not eating back the calories from your workouts, It kind of defeats the purpose
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend not eating back the calories from your workouts, It kind of defeats the purpose

The site tells you to eat your exercise calories back from exercise because it doesn't defeat the purpose. This website takes a deficit into account when giving you your daily calorie goals. This does not include exercise. Not eating your exercise calories back just creates a larger deficit which isn't healthy.

To the original poster, you might want to up your calories. 1,200 is most likely far too little for someone of your height especially if you are working out.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I'd recommend that you learn how MFP calculates it's calorie deficit before giving this advice to people.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

I'd recommend that you learn how MFP calculates it's calorie deficit before giving this advice to people.

HAHA this!

EAT your exercise calories...and at 5'11" with only 28 pounds to lose you should have your settings at .5 or 1 pound per week, NOT 2 pounds. 1200 is too low for you.
    Should probably be more like 1500 plus exercise calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

HAHA this!

EAT your exercise calories...and at 5'11" with only 28 pounds to lose you should have your settings at .5 or 1 pound per week, NOT 2 pounds. 1200 is too low for you.

Agree, 1lb is a pretty good goal. Make sure you set your activity level right also.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I most always eat my exercise calories back and I did set my daily calorie goal higher than what MFP recommended. I found out what it takes to maintain my weight with no exercise, subtracted 500 calories from that to set as my daily calorie goal therefore when I exercise that's just more good food I can eat!!
  • Fandabie89
    Fandabie89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do try to eat my calories back if i go gym. I havent been to the doctor about my weight just entered how much i'd wanna lose on here and it set me at 1200
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm a foot shorter than you and i eat 1200.

eat more!
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

OMG - this is BAD advice

If i were you i would look at 1400 calories as a minimum (for your hight) and eat back exercise calories

You will, no doubt, find it great, lose weight and feel good on 1200 caloires IN THE SHORT TERM

If you want to suceed then you need something that you can live with forever and 1200 calories is certainly not achievable long term

If you want to suceed then plan long term, do exercise you enjoy, eat foods you like (in moderation), keep within your calories and EAT BACK THOSE EXERCISE CALORIES

If you want to send me a friend request feel free

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • aewalk07
    aewalk07 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

HAHA this!

Agree, 1lb is a pretty good goal. Make sure you set your activity level right also.

agree!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

WRONG.

MFP already has you at a deficit sooo. You should eat back at least some of your exercise calories. 1200 probably isn't enough, based on how tall you are. 1200 is what MFP seems to set everyone at who says their goal is to lose 2lbs a week... 2lbs a week is probably too lofty of a 'goal' since you only want to lose 28lbs. You won't lose if you're not eating enough. ((Coming from someone 5'6'', started at 303.4lbs, currently at 189.2lbs, 114.2lbs lost -- and I'm eating 2000 calories a day))
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    At first I lost weight quickly at 1200. (I know now that it was mostly water.) I stopped losing for weeks. Changed my goal to 1350 and started losing again.

When I got the Fitbit I let MFP revert back to 1200 as the Fitbit calculates a lot more calories burned than what I may have recorded in the first place. (Shopping, working around the house, etc.)

In summary, I'm eating 1500 to 2000 calories a day (eating back exercise cals), pending my activity level for that day. I'm losing at a steady pace. Good luck to you.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eat more, I'm 5'3 and started at 1200 I did lose a lot but noticed I hit a plateau, I think if you eat more from the start, you are less likely to plateau, I'm currently reevaluating and going to start to eat around 1300-1400 to keep losing weight.
  • Fandabie89
    Fandabie89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My bmr is 1720.15 so i guess i am eating abit too little.