I have a dilema

Options
This weekend we are going camping with friends for Mother's day. I have worked it in that I will bring the lean protein for dinner on Saturday (italian chicken quarters - no skin, trimmed fat). On Saturday my friend is making breakfast. We are both trying to get heathly and eat better (some us more so than the other, read me not her). She wants to make a french toast casserole which I am sure wont be too healthy. Lunch is my choice and I will be making a healthy one. So here is my dilema, do I go ahead and eat the french toast casserole and breakfast meats she will be bringing or should I do something healthy for myself.

On Saturday evening we are going to the races and eating at the park which there is no escaping the junk food. Would it be better to take a sensible dinner with me for Sat. and skip the crap and not offend my friend?

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    This weekend we are going camping with friends for Mother's day. I have worked it in that I will bring the lean protein for dinner on Saturday (italian chicken quarters - no skin, trimmed fat). On Saturday my friend is making breakfast. We are both trying to get heathly and eat better (some us more so than the other, read me not her). She wants to make a french toast casserole which I am sure wont be too healthy. Lunch is my choice and I will be making a healthy one. So here is my dilema, do I go ahead and eat the french toast casserole and breakfast meats she will be bringing or should I do something healthy for myself.

On Saturday evening we are going to the races and eating at the park which there is no escaping the junk food. Would it be better to take a sensible dinner with me for Sat. and skip the crap and not offend my friend?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Don't offend the friend - she's trying after all. Just eat less of it.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....my personal opinion....I would bring some personal snack stuff. Fruit, veggies, etc. So you have plenty to nibble on and not worry about. That way if you keep yourself full of healthier foodds you will be less likely to binge on unhealthier stuff that will be around. Trying a little of her breakfast won't kill you but maybe load up your plate with some fruit or offer to make one.
  • tagostin
    tagostin Posts: 5
    Options
    See and this is where its a good dilema...in reality...you can eat the cassorale, because to sustain the lost weight, you are not supposed to "restrict yourself" to any certain types of food. But....personally, I would just tell your friend that you are not that hungry, and nibble on fruit...
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would just bring someting healthy to make for yourself. Since she's your friend and she already knows you're trying to be healthier I'm sure she'll understand. There will be plenty of other people to enjoy her casserole!

I've gotten to the point where instead of constantly nagging my mother about eating healthy or asking her to go out of her way to make something special for me I just bring my own ingredients, or meal, to her house when I know I'll be there for dinner. I make mine while she cooks for herself and then we eat together and enjoy ourselves :happy:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Great situation to share!

Obviously by your post, you want to keep your friend...right? So this reminds me of another post we talked about where my friend said she want to join WW to loose 5 pounds. I'd rather her think of my situation of wanting to loose 5 limbs to loose the weight. Take some of the food... 1/2 of what a portion would be, eat some of that portion, and tell her YUM! Then last but not least ask her for the recipe...Because you want to cook it again another time for your family. :wink:

My Mom and I are dieting together but she will be with my Dad in Canada for a month. I told her to use me as a default when the junk food and crud gets passed around. I told her to say, "Oh! My daughter will kill me if I don't loose and keep on my diet with her. I'm doing this for her, you know." So basically, blaming it on me instead of looking like the rude one to pass up food. Obviously this isn't your exact situation, but maybe keeping on track with another friend would help too.

Let us know how it goes!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yeha, I would just have a small portion and if she asks why you aren't having more just say you aren't that hungry or that you aren't a big breakfast eater. Tell her it's delicious though! :happy: Then I would suggest a morning walk or something to get the metabloism up to burn off the casserole. Sneaky, huh? :wink:

As far as the races go... I would just enjoy myself and try to make the best of the menu at hand unless you thinnk it wouldn't be too obvious to carry a dinner. If anyone comments to you negatively about it just say you are trying to save a few bucks! Good luck! and have fun!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Eat small portion of indulgent foods...

Bring baggies of fruit and veg to have to snack on and share...

:flowerforyou:
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    Options
    I would go ahead and eat a little like they all say, but if she asks why you aren't having more, tell her the truth. Yes it is delicious, but I am really trying to stay on track. She should not get offended either way, she's your friend don't lie.

:flowerforyou:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Eat a smaller portion of the breakfast, like half of what others are having, and fill up on baby carrots, fruit, or some other snack foods that you bring. Just tell her you aren't that big of a breakfast person, or if you snack all day people won't expect you to eat as much at a time at meals.

Good luck! I am awful away from home...
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas. I didn't really think about bringing my own fruit to eat with breakfast. I can't say I am not a breakfast person because she has already heard me say Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Everyone knows I eat breakfast everyday. Yummy. :drinker:
  • lietee
    lietee Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    personally id bring my own food. I feel that my diet goals may not be the same as others diet goals. If she feels offended tell her that your diet is very strict right now because you are meeting a personal challenge!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE breakfast and I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way - I do not advocate "lying" to your friends. But sometimes (especially when you have a friend who doesn't understand "your" definition of healthy eating) it's easier to fib a little just to keep things peaceful.

Since you love breakfast and everyone knows it then bringing fruit or something similar to "add" to the delicious breakfast will work well, I think.

Plus, I don't know about you but when me and my family/friends go camping we tend to get a lot of exercise! Last time we camped we walked up and then back down a mountain totaling about 10-12 miles! It was exhausting but so much fun!!!

Have fun! I know you will! :smooched:
  • SherryRH
    Options
    FitKB0707, I didn't take your comment the wrong way. :smile: I do understand that my definition of healthy eating is very different than my friends definition of healthy eating. It is also very hard when you have people in the group who aren't very concerned about heathly eating (i.e. husbands). If they want a steak or ribs, or some sort of bbq they just tend to make it and don't ask if that is ok with everyone else.:grumble: