what weights do you use? women mostly

Options
Hi,
My normal workout consists of 30 mins cardio then 30 mins boot camp stylee (i mainly workout using home exercise DVDs) and try to use the cross trainer or dancing on alternative days.
i recently bought some dumb bells to use with the boot camp workout - which mainly consists of bicep curls/ squat upright rows/ triceps curls and loads of others i dont really know the name of! sorry. also includes about 5 intervals of boxing/ high kicks etc.
My little weights are 1kg/2kg/3kg - and im struggling to get through the workout using my 2kg!

For those who lift/ strength train - is this something completely different or am i on the right sort of path?

im happy with what i do at the moment as i can definately see an improvement in my arms and back, even though my inner thighs do not seem to want to respond to anything!

I would just really appreciate some advice as to whether i need to add anything or increase/ decrease weights? Or whether i totally have the wrong end of the stick!

thanks

Replies

• baabaabetsy
    Options
    It really depends on what you're doing. It sounds like you're doing a lot of reps so you'd have to have smaller weights. I do less reps so I use quite a bit more weight. If you can see a difference and it's a struggle, then you're doing it right! When it ceases to be a struggle, up the weights :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    In the end of the day lifting is about making progress - and keep on pushing your limits - this unfortunately means you need to keep investing in heavier weights as you progress (if you are working out at home)

As someone else said every person is different, but after 18 months of lifting most of the dumbbells I am using is between 12 and 20 kgs, and it is really only for shoulder flyes and seated overhead presses that I would use 6 or 8 kg's....

Good luck - and in the end of the day if it challenges you you are doing the right thing....
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands when I'm working out at home, because I had no space for any more dumbbells. I find the bands give a completely different muscle reaction because the weight is not constant, i.e the rep is easier at the bottom and at its max effort right at the top.

But with dumbbells you'll probably find that the first 5 or so reps are quite easy... and then *the burn* starts. Your last reps should be a struggle, but the struggle shouldn't affect your form... if you find your form is terrible, your weights are probably too heavy or too light.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use between 20-25 pound dumbbells depending on what I'm doing,

If it's things like BIcep Curls, Shoulder Press etc it's the 20 pounders.. If it's things like squats, step ups and lunges, I'll use the 25's.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do compound lifts with free weights.

Tonight I did squats with 70kg, Which is a PB for me.

I Bench press 55kg. Deadlift 75kg.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    010-14.jpg

I use the above bench and my curling bar/pad at home also (I aim to lift heavy for 6-8 reps if I can get more than 8 its time to up the weight)

then At the gym I do dead lifts , squats and a few machines for strength
  • dleon00
    dleon00 Posts: 4
    Options
    My question to you is what is your goal? you can accomplish weight loss and strength training. I am a good example (not trying to brag, lol). My goals was to lose weight (body fat) and keep or improve my weight training. I see you like to do work out dvd's? one i was skeptical on BUT am very impressed with is Insanity. It gives you both cardio and body strengthining. I usually do Insanity in the morning and weight train in the after noon. I am currently on week 7 and i have lost 15 lbs, 3.5" in my waste, and my strength has gone up. Your dumbell routine plus cardio is a great work out, you are definatley on the right track. Keep up the good work. Remember hard work and dedication equals results!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my wife picked up 180lbs (82k) and then threw 160lbs (72kg) on her back and did some *kitten* to grass squats. But she's only been doing it a couple months... I'm sure she'll start moving a lot heavier weights very soon.
  • leannerob1984
    leannerob1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I suppose my ultimate goal is to firstly lose weight and become more toned.

I quite enjoy my workout DVDs but the main reason i do them is because with children its very difficult to get to a gym or have time for that matter. Plus when i have been to the gym before i tend to feel uncomfortable and self conscious - hence why i prefer exercising at home!

I normally work out after the kids have gone to bed as trying to fit in any kind of proper exercise with them about is just impossible (have tried but kids being kids they are always demanding your attention!)

I also try to get up early and get on the cross trainer for about 30 mins before i have to get everyone up for school/ work.

I have only been using the weights for about 3 weeks but going by the responses i feel that i should try to increase the weights as 2kg seems tiny compared to some of the weights others are lifting! Do you think they would have a quicker effect? one of my worries is that im only 5"1 and my shoulders already look a bit bulky, i was worried if i lift heavy heavy weights then i would look even bigger.

please feel free to offer any advice or recommedations!
  • stephyy4632
    Options
    its not possible on a calorie deficit for a woman to get bulky from lifting weights so lift heavy.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    its not possible on a calorie deficit for a woman to get bulky from lifting weights so lift heavy.

It's actually entirely possible to gain muscle mass on a deficit, especially if you're a newbie, and if your deficit is ~1lb a week (as recommended by MFP).

But in response to the worry about looking bigger if you lift heavier, the answer is... you won't. If you're lucky enough to have all of the variables right for building muscle on a calorie deficit, you'll also become leaner as you go. Otherwise, lifting will just help you with fat loss whilst retaining the muscle mass you currently have.
  • stephyy4632
    Options
    didn`t say that she would not gain strength I SAID she could not get bulky which she will not and its not possible for a woman to get bulky without eatting a TON over her maintance or taking enhancers.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options

But with dumbbells you'll probably find that the first 5 or so reps are quite easy... and then *the burn* starts. Your last reps should be a struggle, but the struggle shouldn't affect your form... if you find your form is terrible, your weights are probably too heavy or too light.

^Great advice. If you do get a chance to go to the gym you may want to see if they offer a Body Pump class.