inspiration needed

Options
nattul
nattul Posts: 3 Member
I have defrosted chicken breasts for tea tonight but i am bored of salad. Cant decide what to have with it. in my cupboard i have all the obvious things e.g. rice, pasta, quinoa etc

I also have a butternut squash, courgette, brocolli

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (don't really know whay i bought the squash - not sure what to do with it!)

:happy:

Replies

• ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Maybe make a Quinoa "Salad" with Chicken pieces Courgette, brocolli,

Ormaybe chicken pasta with butternut and feta?! mmmm that soudns nice and some courgette for colour too
  • nattul
    Options
    The pasta sounds like a good idea however i am a sauces person - dont like dry food! also how would i cook the butternut squash?
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I cook my squash in the microwave with a couple apples. Add some cinnamon when they are done and mash together. Yummy!
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd make some kind of a curry or stew. I would peel the butternut squash and cut into chunks. You could roast in the oven in some olive oil,
    just did a quick search on internet and found this recipe for a thai curry
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7579/thai-butternut-and-chicken-red-curry

or for a non-Asian version you could fry some onions, celerey, chopped carrots etc add some herbs or ground spices and then put in the squash, the chicken and a tin of tomatoes and then add the courgette and broccoli. Simmer until chicken and squash cooked and serve with rice or quinoa.
    enjoy!
  • nattul
    Options
    Oooh i was thinking curry- thanks for this!
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a Thai curry but see someone else has already. My favourite is with chicken, baby potatoes, butternut squash, brocolli and cauliflower.

You could also roast all of those veg in one pan with the chicken breasts or make a lovely mash with the squash.

You don't get a creamy mash like you do with potatoes but it is delicious!
  • Legion42
    Legion42 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash is delicious if you peel it, cut into chunks, coat in a little oil and ground black pepper, and roast in the oven (I think it takes about 20-30 mins at 180C). You can then serve it as an accompaniment (in chunks, or mashed) or add to other dishes. Alternatively, you can cube it and cook it directly in any stews or curries you make. You can also roast the whole squash in the oven, but I find it harder to peel that way. Keeps it nice and moist though. :smile: