Homemade frozen yoghurt

Options
Anyone know how to make it?
Is it just as simple as putting yoghurt into the freezer??

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    No! I tried that and it set like ice - rock hard and yuk. Would love to know how also
  • healthymission92
    Options
    Oh really, I was about to try just sticking it in the freezer before lol.
    I hope people who know reply :)
  • quillsHP
    quillsHP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be similar to making a Granita? Chuck the yogurt and some ice in a food processor or something? Just trying something...it's not a tested method :P
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you put it in the freezer for about 30 mins, it kinda comes out like froyo. Over an hour and it's brick hard.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You'll need an ice cream maker and some real recipes.
  • songli5
    songli5 Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried that yesterday for the 1st time. Put a Yoplait Light in the freezer for 3 hours. It came out like an Italian Ice on the outer edges, but had creamy semi-frozen yogurt in the middle. Was sooo good!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i heard yoplait whips are much better. too carby for me tho :(
  • healthymission92
    Options
    Hmmm, I may try mixing it in the blender then freeze for 30mins...
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/2010/07/01/froyo-how-to-make-homemade-frozen-yogurt/

With regular yogurt you could try mixin a couple spoons of cool whip in it.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

You need an ice cream maker to cool it slower. That way it won't freeze solid, and it won't develop large ice crystals. (I just got one for my birthday and learned a lot about making ice creams, sorbets, etc.)
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I make it in my kitchen aide ice cream maker attachment.
  • healthymission92
    Options

You need an ice cream maker to cool it slower. That way it won't freeze solid, and it won't develop large ice crystals. (I just got one for my birthday and learned a lot about making ice creams, sorbets, etc.)

ooh really, I'll look into getting one
  • Audrey403
    Audrey403 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did this a few days ago. I put a yoplait light yogurt in the freezer, came back a day later. Took the ice chunk that came out of the yogurt package, blended it. Put some fresh berries and some almonds on top. It was just like a bowl from my local froyo place. Favorite treat :-)
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I make it in my kitchen aide ice cream maker attachment.

I got the KitchenAid ice cream maker and it's amazing! It does take a while to freeze though. I tried to make multiple batches in one day and it didn't work because the bowl never froze enough. It was a bummer. But, at least now I know!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the blender may fix it!
  • halarson24
    halarson24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Here is one recipe using a frozen banana that tastes great (and if you add cocoa powder and cinnamon, it really takes it up a notch. You have to have a food processor though, most blenders aren't going to be powerful enough.

http://hollylarsonrd.blogspot.com/#!/2012/07/banana-ice-creama-low-calorie-dessert.html