Help!!!!!!

Options
I've just started my plan, managed to lose 7lbs in first week !!! But I stupidly weighed myself mid-week and I've gained a lb but can't explain why. It's really depressing and I'm totally de-motivated. Can anyone inspire me please !!!

Replies

• wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The scale is evil LOL. It temps me every morning!!!! I feel bad when I just on it mid-week. Friday is my weigh day. I read that you should put ur scale in a closet or somewhere that you wont be tempted to step on it for 30 days. YET, I havent done it yet.
    Good luck on your journey
    Wanda
  • AllisonB145
    AllisonB145 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know its hard but try NOT to weigh yourself more than once per week and when you do weigh in make sure it is at the same time everytime. For example I weigh in every monday morning at 5am. Being consistent will give you a better idea.
    As far as gaining 1 lb don't sweat it, it's probably just water retention or something like that. The scale is always fluctuating and you'll drive yourself CRAZY if you check it more that once per week.
    Great job by the way on losing 7lbs in your first week!! Before you know it the lbs will we melting away. Keep up the great work, you CAN do this.
    Good Luck!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Our weight fluctuates all the time. Even someone not trying to lose/gain, and staying pretty stable, will be different from one day to the next. Different quantities of food and water in your body, hormonal fluctuations, water retention from exercise, water retention from sodium... there are many reasons why are weight loss isn't just a steady straight line. I weigh every day, and it goes up at least once a week. Every week. I have a graph of it, and it's a very jagged line! The overall trend is downwards though.

If you're going to be in this for the long haul, then you have to accept that some weeks it will go up, and some weeks it will stay the same even if it feels like you've been putting every effort in. You can't let this demotivate you or distract you from the goal. Whether you weigh every day, or once a week, or once a month, try to detach yourself emotionally from the scale. It's a useful tool, but it's only one tool, and it doesn't tell the whole story. Take measurements of yourself every few weeks - eg, chest, waist, hips, thigh. Also, if you haven't already, take a photo of yourself now, and take photos at certain intervals. Maybe every month, or every 20 lbs or whatever. When you hit a point later on when you feel a bit discouraged, looking at photos to see how far you've come will be a huge motivation!

You want to lose 100+ pounds, so you've got to look at it as a marathon, not a sprint. You've taken the most important first steps, and now you just need to keep at it, day by day. Don't let the scale get in the way!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    Don't be discouraged about 1 lb. Your weight can change daily based on the types of foods that you eat. I try to avoid foods high in sodium because that can cause water weight gain.

Feel free to add me if you would like some additional support and motivation.
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Use it to motivate yourself
    Whenever I do that - I think right I have to work at this for the next ....days so when I weigh in on Monday (my weekly weigh in day) I will still be on track & still have lost

Hope that makes sense !!!!!

& just keep going - you will do this, you can do this

:smile:
  • 6u66a
    6u66a Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive posts. Evil scales will no be coming out again until weigh-in Monday, even if I hear them calling saying 'please use me, please' LOL.

As JESTMFP pointed out I've a long way to go and I shouldn't expect to get there quickly. Marathon not a sprint.

Thanks again MFP postees!!!!
  • Carani
    Carani Posts: 24
    Options
    I understand I'm going against the trend here but I'm partial to weighing myself every day. It gives you an insight in how your body responds to training, sodium or even the time of month (not so relevant in your case.
    I register my weight daily in an app on my phone which calculates a 7-day weighed average, for the science see http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/ . If your phone runs Android, check out Libra, it's really helpful!

For instance today I was 900 grams (2 lbs) heavier than yesterday, but it's TOM and I went to the gym yesterday so I know it's all water weight. My trendline however is still trending down so there's nothing to worry about.