bump...

Options
sa11yjane
sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
i know this sounds really thick but what does it mean when people put 'bump' on people's discussions? is it american for 'ditto' which means 'the same as the one above'? many thanks x

Replies

• soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    two possibilities

1) when they havent receieved any/ many replies they will "bump" it so that it shows up on the recent topics section

2) they like a recipe/article/ converation/ idea and want to be able to come back and read it later they put bump so it will show up in their personal topics
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    "Bumping" serves two purposes. One, it "bumps" the thread back to the top of the page so more people see it and Two, it puts the post into the "My topics" section so you can easily find it later.
  • sa11yjane
    Options
    many thanks for your replies- so they're not just writing 'bump'? What are they actually doing on their keyboard to do the bumping?
  • DianaAR
    DianaAR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the same question!
  • sa11yjane
    Options
    No-one's answered, Diana, so we're still none the wiser!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    i got really confused about this when i joined too! then someone wrote bump followed by a reason and it all became clear
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    to "bump" you just reply and type bump :)
  • TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I write bump when I'm interested in the discussion topic/recipe/idea whatever but dont have time to really read it. That way later when I have more time I can go to my profile page and it will show the discussions I "commented" on recently and I can then view the discussion. Its in essence a way for me to bookmark the discussion.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    People type 'bump'. b-u-m-p. The letters. You could type 'lipsitck' or 'fart' and it would have the same effect. Moves the topic back to the top of the list or allow the 'bumper' to have it in their list of topics to refer back to later without having to do a search.
  • TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    many thanks for your replies- so they're not just writing 'bump'? What are they actually doing on their keyboard to do the bumping?

No it really is just writing the word bump...
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    yes, just typing bump :)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    you could put whatever you wanted... and it is bumping the topic back up into recent posts.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    This isn't as funny as the 'how do I make a new thread' thread.
  • sa11yjane
    Options
    I get it now!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for bearing with me!!!!!!

For anyone who still doesn't get it I have copied the relevant info from wikipedia- thanks to Mischelina!

'To bump a thread on an internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads. It has been suggested that "bump" is an acronym of "bring up my post";[1] however, this is almost certainly a backronym and the usage is entirely consistent with the verb "bump" which means "to knock to a new position".[2] It can also be used in personal messages (PMs) or instant messages (IMs) on the Web, to return an older message to the top of the list'
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    This isn't as funny as the 'how do I make a new thread' thread.

:laugh: sorry had to check this ...poor guy's not got a response
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    For clarity, you can write anything and get the same result. Bumping is usually used for putting your own unpopular thread to the top to try to get responses and bumping you're own threads can be against forum rules. Bumping can cause necro posting.