Weight loss and divorce/separation

Options
I have steadily lost weight since January but seemed to have been at a standstill since around April time, despite doing the same diet and exercise regime.

I am currently going through a separation, which I decided upon a month ago. In that time, my weight loss seems to have kickstarted itself again, despite continuing the same diet and exercise, although I seem to snack more than usual.

Has anyone else had this happen? Could it be some hormone or something that has been released due to the stress of it all, that has triggered something regarding my weight loss? Although very pleased with it, I am just wondering if it is a coincidence or if the anxiety/stress side of separation is what has triggered this. I am therefore wondering if when I get over it all, I will just put it all back on just as easily!

Any thoughts on this are most welcome, thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    My dad lost a lot of weight when my parents when through a horrible divorce about a year ago (and he wasn't overweight to start with or trying to lose anything). I think it is the stress, though I'm not sure of what the exact mechanism might be.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Could be related to stress (either less stress from no longer being with your partner, or increased stress from going through a separation) - I find when I'm stressed out I eat less and work out harder, but it could change things for you going either way.
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    Hmmm... no, I usually gain weight with stress because I eat everything in sight. My thoughts are perhaps you were doing a bit too much, burning too many calories, and the snacking kick started your body, perhaps. Just my thoughts.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i know when my ex and i decided to call it and he moved out, i was actually less stressed and started losing weight again.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think it could possibly be related to the release of the stress. I too lost weight when my husband and I had separated/divorced, for me it was also, me wanting to make the whole change and make myself better all around.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've never been divorced, but I've been through two really painful breakups and both time I lost about 15 pounds in 2 weeks. BUT- I was too upset to eat (I can't eat when I'm really anxious), so I was basically starving myself. After 2 weeks each time, I started to feel a little better and put the weight back on slowly.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Probably stress. When I stress I usually lose weight
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Stress can do crazy things. My husband and I are having major issues, I have no appetite when I feel stressed out, so right now my scale really isn't moving because I have not been eating enough and exercising the same amount.

I wish you the best of luck :smile:
  • aimeemusic
    aimeemusic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also lost stress from the separation with my ex. It took finding myself thought. I was still my bigger version for many months after the break up. It was not until i kind of found myself that I started really lossing weight.

It's stress....it causes all sorts of issues. Once this settles (and it may not be for a while) you will go back to normal.

My suggestion in the mean time is that you do some new things.....take up a new class or start biking 2 miles a day. Keep up with your eating and also WEIGHT TRAIN! It will help.

You body is also naturally lazy and gets used to routine. Changing it up will keep it going. Also the exersice itself will help with your stress levels.

*Hugs* Be strong!
  • Mrs_McGann
    Options
    I dropped 16 stone (224 lbs) of horrid, nasty fat the day I kicked out my (almost ex) husband!

That was the easiest weight loss ever!

In all seriousness though, apparently there's a stress hormone called cortisol which can hinder our weight loss efforts. I'm looking into this at the mo to gain some insight.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    *hug* Hope things get better soon :)

You may be so stressed that you're actually eating a little less than you think you are, maybe? A lot of people seem to lose weight after a breakup. Just try to take good care of yourself.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It seems that when someone takes control of their life in other areas and doing whats best for them emotionally and mentally- then doing whats best for themselves physically becomes the easy part, the safe healthy happy place they can go to reset when the emotional and mental become overly challenging or just plain painful.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've never been divorced, but I've been through a couple major breakups and, just recently, an epic fight with my boyfriend that may (or may not) work out at the end of the day. I'm a nervous, emotional wreck. When I feel this way, I get this terrible pit in my stomach and I literally have to choke down food. It's been a week and a half of drama and I'm down another 1.5 lbs this morning.

Of course, I'm sure Ill gain it back when the stress subsides because that loss wasn't natural.

Some people react to stress by eating, some people exercise and some people lose their appetite. However you react, it's important to be aware of the changes so that you don't go too far on any end of the spectrum. I'm really saying this to myself as much as to you :-)

Best of luck to you!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    When my ex husband I split, I like to joke that I lost 240 pounds. You know, 220 of him and 20 of my own. LOL. But in all seriousness, I did drop about 20 from nothing other then having the stress of the marriage leave me entirely. Don't get me wrong, ending my marriage was the most difficult thing I'd ever done, however for the first time, I felt free. I found that I snacked more, just because it was only me. I didn't have to have dinner on the table at a certain time, or any of that jazz. I ate whatever (this consequently led to me eventually gaining the 20 pounds back).

My advice, would be to take things one day at a time. Try to stick to a decent eating schedule, and try to squeeze in some exercise. If you hit a bad day, just know that a better one is right around the corner (bad days become few and far between, I promise!).

Best of luck to you :-)
  • 911Megz
    911Megz Posts: 42
    Options
    You may have been at a stand still because of doing the same thing and eating the same things. Our bodies tend to get used to the same ol'... so change it up a bit. :)

P.S. I went through a divorce and lost incredible amount of weight do to the stress of it. Although it was nice losing the weight, I did gain it back, being it wasn't the healthy way of losing and it was mostly due to not eating from stress and nervous feeling in my stomach for quite some time.

I'm sorry you're going through this !
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I am going through a divorce(sadly), but my experience is a little different.

I am way less stressed than before (not entirely due to the relationship, but partly), and I have massively changed my habits. So my weight loss is explainable. Hormonally I still retain weight for a period each month, but this divorce has (as others have said) motivated me to get my own personal house in order... in ways I should have already, but I'm doing it now, so that is good.

EDIT to Add: My husband and I have had some extremely emotional conversations and at first I turned to chocolate, even on this journey. But those conversations are not really happening anymore , and I am learning to not stress eat since it does not fix anything.
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just have started the beginning of a Divorce, and everyone around me about this.... I actually want to loose the rest of my baby weight. But in no way do I want to be Anorexic or anything, because if I loose a ton it's going to head that direction, :-( I just need to loose about 10-15 and get toned..... But with all the stress that is starting just after the first day I can see my appetite already sucks.