HELP! - Weight fluctuations w/o loss - getting frustrated

Options
I am getting very frustrated with my weight loss journey lately because the scale is not at all matching my efforts. Okay, there were 2 days out of 10 where I overate at dinner, but I have not been eating more than 1300 calories on the remaining 8 days and consistently burn between 300 - 550 calories per day through exercise. Yet, my weight simply fluctuates between 229 - 233. Okay, I guess I should be grateful that 1 pound has remained lost.

Anyway, I should get my period this week or next week based on how its been coming lately. Had irregular periods all my life, not worried about pregnancy, so that's why I word it this way. Could that account for this scale roller coaster for ten days?

Also, a lot of these issues started when my Syhthroid was upped from 25 mcg to 50 mcg. On 25 mcg, I was off track for 2 months dieting wise and gained less than 10 lbs, but now my weight fluctuates up 4 lbs after each off day. Anyone on Synthroid have similar weight loss issues? Should I call my doctor and discuss it?

Lastly, there is a lot of buzz on the message boards about eating more to loose weight. I am eating what MFP says, so I don't think that's the issue. But, what do you think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to return to school in September under 210, which can't happen if my body hoovers at 229 - 233.

Replies

• sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Open your diary up, otherwise noone can see what your doing!
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Okay; it's public now.
  • sgarrard01
    Options
    Wow!, your diary is a bit of a yo yo experiance!... and thats only the first week! I'd look at altering the following bits and pieces!

1) your eating alot of sugary muffins, and bagels, chocolate, theres not alot of what i would call fresh food! Meat and Vegitables cooked from scratch... (not out of a packet)
    2) I'd say up your calories a little to 1300 minimum and try not to yo yo so much... you should never consume less than 1250 and eat back any exersize calories ontop of that.
    3) where you use recipies or generic 'grouped' meals from my fitness pal, view them with distrust! put the ingrediants in from raw and you'll find theres alot of errors in there! (even on single items people get the weights/kcals wrong)
    4) weigh everything your using from raw, you'd be surprised how little something on a plate can look and then weigh (which the manufacturers call a 'serving' to make us feel better)

and most importantly

5) BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU'VE ACHIEVED SO FAR! You've been on here for 5months and you've lost 33lbs!, thats around 5lbs a month! thats good going! unfortunately there's no quick fixes, but if you think about listening to the above than you may feel fuller, and have a bit more consitancy in the losses.

Unfortunately i cant comment on Syhthroid, as i have no real knowledge about it, however calling your doctor to discuss cant be a bad thing!. Although, i'd also say to stop weighing yourself every day! There are huge daily fluctuations in weight depending on what you ate/drank/exersized the day before!
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    try more veg and protein to fill you up, and make sure you are drinking lots of water to help process the additional fiber. I think you could probably bump your calories up a bit depending on your goals, as long as what you are adding in are good healthy foods. I looked back over the past week and I literally didn't see one fruit or vegetable on your diary the entire week! Are you accurately tracking things? You should be eating at least 5 servings of vegetables and fruits a day.....!

PMS can definitely make you retain more water, and some of the items you are eating are high sodium which can also help you retain water. I would honestly cut the artificial sweeteners too.

You are doing well, sometimes when you hit a plateau you just need to mix things up, either foods or exercise or both!
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the very thoughtful responses. Yes, I agree that I haven't been eating the healthiest this month, and I guess you forget that weight loss isn't all about the quantity of the calories, but the quality, too. :-)

I will try eating 1400 calories each day, burn 400 calories through exercise each day, consume 10 glasses of water each day, 5 servings of fruits / vegetables, and limit my prepackaged / restaurant foods to no more than twice a week. More importantly, I will try not to weigh myself again until Saturday. It's difficult, but I will try.
  • sgarrard01
    Options
    Ps. Add me as a friend if you like!