Bikram Yoga

Options
nikknyc
nikknyc Posts: 44 Member
Has anyone done Bikram Yoga? I really want to try it, but I'm scared of the heat and passing out. Any tips?

Replies

• kim_chic
    kim_chic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done it. It's hot but you get accustomed to it quickly. On your first visit, the instructor generally tells you the goal is just to stay in the room the entire 90 minutes. Don't try to do too much too fast.
  • jamies76
    jamies76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yup, practiced it off and on (mostly off in the last several years) in three different states--I think about 10 different studios.

When I practiced regularly (about 3x per week) I was in incredible shape. But then I was also 25. :D My muscles toned up very quickly. Recently my husband did a 30 day challenge--hot yoga every day. We took photos each week, and at the end he'd changed shape a little but lost no weight at all. Of course, he only has *maybe* 15 lbs to lose.

It is NOT a restorative type of yoga--it's pretty intense. 90 minutes in 100-115 degree heat and at least 40% humidity. It's a big commitment for your day--at least two hours when you also include travel and showering after. Some people call it "boot camp yoga" and the instructors "drill sergeants". It's true that it's not a softly guided meditative practice, but I've never been in a studio where the instructors yelled or were abusive, which is a description I hear often from the detractors.

There is a lot of controversy about Bikram copyrighting the sequence and then suing studios who aren't part of his franchise but who use the sequence and his name. (These poses are thousands of years old, mind you.) Its nickname is "McYoga".

Some also deride it for the dialogue, which instructors have to memorize and repeat word for word during certification. I don't have too much of a problem with this. I prefer a structured, disciplined class. Laid-back, vague, "let's do this pose on a whim" type classes frustrate me and do absolutely nothing for me. I've found that even though I'm hearing the same dialogue each time (although with experience instructors will adjust it) I sometimes am in a place where I really "hear" the words for the first time and make a breakthrough in my practice.

I miss it, but I'm too overweight and out of shape right now to be able to stick with it. I really struggle with the heat/humidity combo and will be wiped out for at least a day after. Like anything else, it's not for everyone, and people will have varying results.

A long time ago I made up a list of tips and what to expect. I wish I'd had it when I first started!

"Preparing for Your First Bikram Yoga Class

What you’ll need:

-Yoga mat (studios often rent them)
    -Large beach towel (studios often rent them)
    -Extra towel for after class
    -Two bottles of water (studios often sell them). 1 bottle for during class and 1 to keep in changing room for after class
    -Plastic bag for your wet yoga clothes
    -Loose, comfortable, easy to change into clothing for after class

What to wear:

Women:
    -Sleeveless work-out tank or sports bra*
    -Spandex or compression shorts*
    -Securely pull back long hair and use headband for shorter parts
    *Material needs to be thin enough to allow easy movement in all directions, have moisture-
    wicking qualities, and allow the skin to breathe. (Similar to swimsuit material.) Don’t wear
    something rigidly tight.

Men:
    -Running shorts or swim trunks*
    -Loose tank top if desired
    *My husband pointed out that running shorts that contain inner “underwear” are probably better
    than swim trunks that only contain mesh inners. This way you don’t risk showing off your jewels
    to the rest of the class. (Even if you like doing that, and yogis are very accepting of the body, they
    still don’t want to see that!)

Tips:

-If time permits, start drinking half your weight in ounces of water the day before you go to class. You may want to stop drinking water at least an hour before class so that you don't have pressure on your bladder during practice.

-Avoid large, heavy meals the day of class, and be sure to leave about two hours in-between your last meal and practice.

-Come to class with a clean body and face, and especially be sure to remove any moisturizers. They not only pose a danger by making your body extremely slippery and difficult to grip, but also inhibit sweating and cooling of the skin. You’ll feel like you’re wrapped in warm plastic wrap! It also avoids makeup or skin products running into your eyes.

-Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth well before class. It helps with the thirst and you won't risk urpy-ness with the combination of heat and strong flavor.

-Arrive at least 15 minutes early for new student check-in. This way you’re not rushed and more likely to get a good spot in the room. Ask the instructor for the best location for a first-timer. Be sure to check the ceiling as you’re choosing a spot--it's not a good idea to place yourself right under a heat vent for your first class.

-It’s hot yoga--you’re going to sweat. Deal with it. Obsessively wiping off your body only wastes energy.

-Get rid of expectations and competitiveness. You may see regular students who are older, heavier, and more infirm than you breezing through class. They’re used to the practice--you aren’t. Don’t compete with anybody, including yourself. Your body and mind are up for different possibilities every day. As long as you do your best to go into the posture correctly then you are reaping the benefits, regardless of how inflexible you may be.

-DO NOT hold your breath and push yourself at any time. This isn't like any sort of sport or workout routine you're used to. Once again, it's not a competition. All you'll do is make yourself dizzy and/or sick.

-If you start to feel dizzy stand perfectly still and straight with your shoulders pulled down and back, your hands hanging loosely at your sides, and raise your eyes just a bit. Look at the point where the wall meets the ceiling. Keep your eyes open! Don't tilt your head back or you'll probably fall over on your butt. Breathe slowly through your nose. It is perfectly fine to stand/sit out a posture if you need to. Sometimes even regular students have to sit out.

-If you need to catch your breath make sure you're standing up straight with your shoulders pulled down and back with your hands hanging loosely at your sides. Keep your eyes open! Slouching, standing with your hands on your hips, or leaning over with your hands on your knees impedes your diaphragm. This makes it harder to breathe and jacks with your blood pressure, not to mention increases any dizziness. If you're feeling bad enough that you can't remain standing either sit Japanese style or lay flat on your back. Remember--it is perfectly fine to stand/sit out a posture. However, be aware that lying down can increase the spinning-room effect, as does closing your eyes.

-Don't guzzle water during class, especially during the standing series at the beginning of the practice. It really won't make you feel any better--all you need it for is to wet your mouth and tongue. If you drink a lot during class there's a good chance it'll come back up, especially if you gulp water right before Balancing Stick.

-If you have time after class take a quick rinse in the showers, even if you’ll shower as soon as you get home. This helps cool you down and prevent acne break outs.

-Drink plenty of water for the rest of the day, and be sure to also include a sports drink or something to replace the electrolytes you lost during practice. Sometimes all the water you can drink won’t prevent a headache but a sports drink will. I prefer something natural, such as coconut water (not milk). Many studios sell electrolyte packets.

-Believe it or not, it really does help the soreness to go back to class as soon as you can!"

Good luck!
  • nikknyc
    nikknyc Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    wow thats a perfect answer to my question. THANK YOU!
  • jamies76
    jamies76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I just realized how LONG it was! :O