Working moms.....

Options
I'm what you would call "self-employed". I work at an office, but am basically a contractor of sorts. I usually do daycare a couple times a week, and then am a "work at home mom" the rest of the week.

Today was different. Today I took the kids to daycare, went to work, picked them up, took them to the store (a half hour trip turned into an hour), brought them home, cooked dinner (normally my husband does), put them to bed (teeth, pj's, our nightly rendition of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" because my son asks for that as his lullaby....) and now have to tackle a counter full of dishes.

So first I want to publicly say to my husband that pretty much always cooks dinner.... THANK YOU. You are amazing. I hope you feel better soon, and admittedly that's a little selfish. I suck at making dinner, and doing this all alone is hard.

But the primary reason I came here is to say this - You working moms that do this every day....

You....
Are.....
AMAZING.

You deserve so much more credit than what you give yourself {and others give you!}. And if anyone (and I mean anyone) gives you crap about anything (including, but not limited to "not making time to work out"), I will totally beat them up for you.

So thank you to all the working moms out there. And thank you to ALL moms in general. You stay at home moms are amazing, too. But the taste of this side of the working mom fence today was a total shock.

Now I'm going to go paint my nails, take some Benadryl, and hopefully get some sleep before I have to do it all again tomorrow....

Replies

• RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What a sweet husband! That's is amazing that he cooks for you everynight! Hope he's feeling better soon! And good luck with your busy schedule the rest of the week!
  • lahstrand
    lahstrand Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Amen! Did you read the article in The Atlantic about how women can't have it all? They were mainly talking about high powered lawyers, congress women, that kind of thing but did touch on the regular working mom too. The author pointed out that a company would look at a marathon runner and think of all the dedication and time involved, but a mother who gets up just as early and stays up late to work full time and have time with her kids is considered someone who may not be reliable.

My husband makes dinner every night too. We started that when we got married. I've always been more career oriented. He does work full time but not with extra hours or travel like me. I'll say there are times where my energy completly depletes, like yesterday when I fell asleep at 7:30 and he put our daughter to bed. I only have one kid and get exhausted. I'm amazed by the moms I work with who have 4 kids or are single moms. I guess you just find the energy when you have to.