Whole wheat cinnamon buns with pictures

Options
mugsisme
mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
I love cinnamon buns. I have been eating a lot of them, and my weight has slowly been creeping up. Also, I need to stop eating white flour. So, I have re-worked the traditional recipe. If you are looking for the ooey, gooey buns, keep looking. I did lighten them up a lot, but then are not real thick with icing dripping down the side. Right now, the recipe is making 50 cinnamon buns that are almost an inch thick. The calorie calculator is telling me a drop over 100 calories. So I am thinking if you want to make them thicker and are willing to go for calories, go for it. You can also add icing if you want using the extra powered sugar included in the recipe. I don't think I used the full amount I wrote. (I can explain the reason for using powered sugar vs regular sugar and the water if anyone wants me to.)

before dusting with powered sugar:
naked.jpg

and after:
dressed.jpg

1 cup very warn water (between 110-115 degrees)
2 TBSP yeast
2 TBSP cane sugar
2 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk (or milk substitute)
1/2 cup extra light olive oil (original recipe called for butter; I think coconut oil can also be substituted)
1/2 agave (original recipe called for honey)
4 tsp salt
2 TBSP ground flax seed
8 cups + 2 TBSP whole wheat pastry flour, divided
2 TBSP cinnamon
1 cup powered sugar, divided

In a small bowl, combine yeast with cane sugar and 2 tbsp whole wheat flour. Add very warm water and let yeast proof.

In a large bowl, add salt and flour. Pour in yeast when it is nice and bubbly.
Add the soy milk, oil, ground flax seed and agave. Mix together to form a dough. Knead for about 5 - 10 mins. Try not to add more flour, as this will dry the dough out. You can add a drop more oil to help it knead nicely.

Let dough rise for between 1-2 hours. It should be double in height.

Punch down. Divide dough in half. Roll out on a very oiled counter. Sprinkle 1 TBSP of cinnamon over the dough. Then dust about a 1/4 cup of powered sugar over the dough. Using a spray mister, gently mist the dough, and carefully roll up. Pinch sides of log together to seal. Cut into 25 1" pieces. Lay on jelly roll pan covered in parchment paper. Repeat with the second half of the dough.

Give the dough between 1/2 hour to 45 mins to rise again. Spray with a little olive oil pam, and bake at 350 for about 12-16 minutes until lightly golden brown.

Dust with remaining powered sugar. (I find using a sifter helps.)

Replies

• Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    I am definitely going to try these. They look awesome. Thanks for sharing.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    BUMP to Pin later
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mental note, ditch the flax seed. It makes it too grainy. Also, try to use the least amount of flour. It was slightly dry today, but after the microwave it was fine. Perfect with a cup of coffee and a bowl of fruit.
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump