Help with more protein

Options
What does everyone else eat that is a significant source of protein? I need to get more protein in my diet, but I can't eat soy, dairy, or gluten.

I'm starting to get a little tired of eggs and meat. I try to eat at least 5 servings of vegetables a day, and I went and brought some unsalted mixed nuts yesterday, but I'm still looking for suggestions. Nothing too high in carbs, either.

Any ideas?

Replies

• FFTony
    FFTony Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a Protein drink?
    I too want to add protein to my diet without the carbs. I recently started using Six Star Whey Protein powder (triple chocolate) - about $18 at Wal-Mart.

Twice a day, it'll give you 60g Protein.

I mix mine with 1% milk - 1 for lunch and 1 before I excercise in the evening
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I do lots of white fish, chicken, extra lean turkey, and a scoop or two of protein powder on a daily basis. I occasionally have some extra lean ground beef to change it up. I eat peanut or almond butter daily, both for the healthy fats and some protein.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    My protein intake consists mainly of eggs, skinless chicken, lean white meat and fish. I agree with FFTony - look into protein shakes to bulk up that part of your diet. =)
  • pinkwhisk
    pinkwhisk Posts: 41
    Options
    protein shake
    peanut butter
    eggs and egg whites
    cheese
    turkey
    chicken
    fish - especially tuna
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    First off STOP worrying about carbs, your body needs them and carbs dont make you gain or keep weight going above your calorie limits for the day/week causes weight gain, The same goes for fat if you think fat is what made you fat you are in the wrong state of mind your body needs fats, and carbs to run properly and function.

Now protein is simple greek yogurt, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, egg whites, whole oats. jerky, all kinds of things google it.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free and low dairy.

You could try beans/lentils, almond or hazelnut milk. Protein shakes are difficult if you are dairy free as most are based on whey protein isolate which is milk derived. I can't have it, it upsets my stomach. The only alternative I've found is soy protein based drinks, so I try to get mine through diet. I eat a lot of chicken!

Try something like a grilled chicken breast on lentils of butter beans instead of rice or potato, that will help to up the protein count.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    First off STOP worrying about carbs, your body needs them and carbs dont make you gain or keep weight going above your calorie limits for the day/week causes weight gain, The same goes for fat if you think fat is what made you fat you are in the wrong state of mind your body needs fats, and carbs to run properly and function.

Now protein is simple greek yogurt, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, egg whites, whole oats. jerky, all kinds of things google it.

Actually, I'm watching man made carbs because I have PCOS and too many carbs really screw with my hormones. I get plenty of carbs from veggies and fruits. I'm just looking for a way to up my protein without upping my carbs too much.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Actually, I'm watching man made carbs because I have PCOS and too many carbs really screw with my hormones. I get plenty of carbs from veggies and fruits. I'm just looking for a way to up my protein without upping my carbs too much.

And BTW, my macros are set at 35/35/30. I know what my body needs as far as fat and carbs. Thanks for assuming I don't know anything about a healthy diet.