Polar FT4 or Polar FT7?

Options
I have been running for months now and love it. To better calculate my calories burned, I have been looking into purchasing a HRM. I hear Polar has some great products so I have been debating between the FT4 and the FT7.

I could very easily get the product reviews online, however I wanted to get the opinions of my MFP buddies first. Do you have a Polar HRM and if so, how do you like it? Woud you recommend one or the other?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I was debating on this exact decision myself and I asked around on here. The only real difference between them is that the FT7 has a user replaceable battery in the transmitter. With the FT4, the battery is sealed in the transmitter in such a way that when it does eventually go dead, you'll have to eventually replace the whole transmitter unit. Replacement units sell for as much as $40 from what I've seen.

EDIT: Polar likes to use sealed transmitters in a lot of their lower-end models. If you're going with a lower-end model of theirs, you have to accept that when the battery DOES eventually go dead you will have to replace the transmitter. And that may cost you nearly as much as buying a whole new HRM. Beginning with the FT7 and up, the batteries are replaceable. When talking functional/operational differences, there are none. The wrist unit/receiver is the exact same for both models. The ONLY difference is that the FT4 is packaged with a "disposeable" transmitter while the FT7 is packaged with their Wearlink transmitter, the one that's normally sold as a replacement unit. It is significantly better than the disposeable transmitter that comes with the lower end models from the FT4 and down because the strap itself is made from a more comfortable material to have against your skin and, as mentioned above a few times, the battery compartment is actually accessible by you.
  • megdtuttle
    megdtuttle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I love it. Though I have nothing to compare it to because it's my first HRM ever, I would stil suggest it!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I currently have the FT7 both with the red/gray strap and the black/red strap. I would not recommend the black/red strap as the screen is a dark color and it's very hard to read! The reason I chose the FT7 over the FT 4 was mainly because it stored 99 workouts instead of just 10. It will also show you a weekly history. Otherwise, the only real differences ar that the FT7 has an audible beep when you move from fat burning range into cardio range - the FT4 doesn't. It also has a training analyzer and training programs. And; The FT7 can be used with Polar's software to upload your data, the FT4 cannot.

Though an earlier poster said that you cannot replace the battery yourself for the FT4, that's not correct. And regardless, I have an F4 from way back when which has the non-replaceable battery and that battery is still kicking several years later!

I love, love my FT7 and am glad that I've got it :) I wish I could give you more feedback on the FT4, but since I didn't purchase it, I can't :(

Good luck choosing! Check out www.heartratemonitorusa.com and www.amazon.com for good prices!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was debating on this exact decision myself and I asked around on here. The only real difference between them is that the FT7 has a user replaceable battery in the transmitter. With the FT4, the battery is sealed in the transmitter in such a way that when it does eventually go dead, you'll have to eventually replace the whole transmitter unit. Replacement units sell for as much as $40 from what I've seen.

EDIT: Polar likes to use sealed transmitters in a lot of their lower-end models. If you're going with a lower-end model of theirs, you have to accept that when the battery DOES eventually go dead you will have to replace the transmitter. And that may cost you nearly as much as buying a whole new HRM. Beginning with the FT7 and up, the batteries are replaceable. When talking functional/operational differences, there are none. The wrist unit/receiver is the exact same for both models. The ONLY difference is that the FT4 is packaged with a "disposeable" transmitter while the FT7 is packaged with their Wearlink transmitter, the one that's normally sold as a replacement unit. It is significantly better than the disposeable transmitter that comes with the lower end models from the FT4 and down because the strap itself is made from a more comfortable material to have against your skin and, as mentioned above a few times, the battery compartment is actually accessible by you.

All of this info about the FT4 and FT7 is wrong and needs to be disregarded... Both the FT4 and the FT7 have batteries that you can change yourself. It's the older Polar F series models that you need to send it back. Both the FT4 and FT7 use wearlink transmitters and straps.

Please read this website: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4 before you try to explain HRM's again.

To OP:
    Both the FT4 and the FT7 are good models.. it just depends on what features you want how much you want to spend.

The link I posted in response to another poster explains the FT4 and then you can take a look at the FT7 too and decide what is best for you.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and for what I use it for, it is perfect!!! I wanted something that would more accurately count calories because, like many, I didn't feel MFP was correct. I put in my weight, age, and height. It gave me the heart rate zone I should be working in. The only thing I don't like is it beeps when you're not in that zone. However, it is a very light beep and most of the time I don't notice it. I've had it over 3 mos now and I really like it. It does exactly what I need it to. Simple to use without all the extra fancy functions.
  • MrsMangler
    MrsMangler Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It looks like the FT7 is waterproof. (From what I see online. I do not have a HRM.) Has anyone used this in the pool for swimming?
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 because what it has is all I need. I just need something basic, not a bunch of stuff. Just needed the time, timer, calories burned, heart rate, & that's it. Works for me and I love it!
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    I bought the FT7 and I love it, just remember if you do buy that model to keep it clean, with all of your sweating it can get dirty and the sensors won't work.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    Options
    Hey there! I currently have the FT7 both with the red/gray strap and the black/red strap. I would not recommend the black/red strap as the screen is a dark color and it's very hard to read! The reason I chose the FT7 over the FT 4 was mainly because it stored 99 workouts instead of just 10. It will also show you a weekly history. Otherwise, the only real differences ar that the FT7 has an audible beep when you move from fat burning range into cardio range - the FT4 doesn't. It also has a training analyzer and training programs. And; The FT7 can be used with Polar's software to upload your data, the FT4 cannot.

Though an earlier poster said that you cannot replace the battery yourself for the FT4, that's not correct. And regardless, I have an F4 from way back when which has the non-replaceable battery and that battery is still kicking several years later!

I love, love my FT7 and am glad that I've got it :) I wish I could give you more feedback on the FT4, but since I didn't purchase it, I can't :(

Good luck choosing! Check out www.heartratemonitorusa.com and www.amazon.com for good prices!

Thanks Amber for the website... www.heartratemonitorusa.com!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7. I believe the only real difference is how many workouts they store. The FT7 does more. Since I log all my workouts on MFP, it doesn't really matter. The only features I use are HR, Calories, and Time. The ZONE features (fat burn and fitness) I don't really trust. I go by percentage to MAX HR. 85% +

If I had to buy a new one I'd go FT4. I don't think the FT7 is really worth the extra $25-30.

I am intrigued by the Nike Fuel Band, but it doesn't tell you your HR and at $200 it's a little pricey. I have a friend who has a Body Bug and he loves it, he feels it's really accurate. But it doesn't tell you your HR either.

But get a Polar, they're by far the leader in quality and accuracy. Plus a lot of treadmills will sync with them.

- Mike
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the FT4, but I have the FT7 and I love it! Never had any problems out of it!
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    Options
    I don't know anything about the FT4, but I have the FT7 and I love it! Never had any problems out of it!

Thanks Josh!!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 because what it has is all I need. I just need something basic, not a bunch of stuff. Just needed the time, timer, calories burned, heart rate, & that's it. Works for me and I love it!

^^^THIS
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As I runner, I would say go for the FT4. If your budget can stretch beyond that then look for integrated GPS such as a 2nd hand Garmin. I wouldn't mess around with FT7 because you'll get minimal extra for your money, assuming that you probably track your runs elsewhere for distance/pace etc - you can just use your HRM and add the info you get from it to whatever tracking system you use, plus do HR training. I don't know what else you would need it for.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have a FT4 and I love it! I can't say anything for the FT7 lol
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just bought an FT7. It arrived yesterday. At the time I bought it, it wasn't much more than the FT4 on Amazon.com. I'm sure I would have liked either of them but I like storing more information. I love numbers, and the extra work out storage was my deciding factor!
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have tried both, both are easy to use and do the same thing. I currently have a Polar FT7, it has a few better features. FT7 is like $30 more, but really does the same thing as an FT4. I personally like the FT7 better than the FT4.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It looks like the FT7 is waterproof. (From what I see online. I do not have a HRM.) Has anyone used this in the pool for swimming?

I have the Polar FT4 and I love it - it has everything I need. Some of the extras available with the FT7 would be nice, but not absolutely necessary for what I use it for. I believe most of the Polar HRMs are "water resistant" per the user manuals. I regularly use my FT4 while swimming and I've never had a problem with it.
  • SL22268
    SL22268 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I love it. Though I have nothing to compare it to because it's my first HRM ever, I would stil suggest it!

This is what I was going to post - Love my FT7! :smile: