Keratin Hair Treatment = Mini Goal #1

Options
TChester_05
TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
I officially started my weight loss mission on 5-30-12 at 256 lbs and realized a goal of 60 lbs minimum sounded HUGE and almost impossible to me. I decided in order to make this more realistic I needed to have several smaller goals of about 16lb each. I set timeframes to complete each mini goal with rewards and got started eating less and moving more.

My first goal was to get to 240 lbs by 8-15-12 and today I weighed in at 241 lbs :bigsmile: so I expect that about a month ahead of schedule I will complete my first mini goal *happy dance* happy dance* :happy:

The reward I want for this mini goal is to get a keratin hair treatment...I think, lol. I have crazy curly often frizzy hair if I dont use like a gallon of products to keep it calm. I see groupons for it often (making it reasonably priced) and would love to hear some feedback if anyone has tried it or have any knowledge to share about it.

Thanks in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i would love to hear as well...
  • nikknyc
    nikknyc Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i bet your hair is gorgeous! get an anti-frizz treatment, but dont straighten it!!!!!!

my hair is curly curly and i love it...
  • TChester_05
    Options
    Thanks @nikknyc I've tried anti frizz before...may try it again.

Guess no one has tried keratin?? :ohwell:
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I did the keratin treatment 6 weeks ago. - also through Groupon. They said straight off at the hairdressers that it isn't a hair straightening treatment but kills frizz and makes it more manageable.

On my hair ( fine, wavy) it has worked brilliantly and as my hair wasn't that curly or strong it has had the effect of straightening it pretty much. Six weeks on and it's not as straight, I can see it is wearing off but it's still manageable and way better than it was before I had it done. I will definately do it again - aiming for every 3 months or so.

BUT looking at your pic I'm not sure it'll be strong enough to give you the effect you (may) be hoping for - plus they always say on the voucher listing that very long/thick hair may require an extra surcharge (£30 here).
    Hope this has been useful, speak to a hairdresser perhaps?

Good luck on the diet!
  • TChester_05
    Options
    I did the keratin treatment 6 weeks ago. - also through Groupon. They said straight off at the hairdressers that it isn't a hair straightening treatment but kills frizz and makes it more manageable.

On my hair ( fine, wavy) it has worked brilliantly and as my hair wasn't that curly or strong it has had the effect of straightening it pretty much. Six weeks on and it's not as straight, I can see it is wearing off but it's still manageable and way better than it was before I had it done. I will definately do it again - aiming for every 3 months or so.

BUT looking at your pic I'm not sure it'll be strong enough to give you the effect you (may) be hoping for - plus they always say on the voucher listing that very long/thick hair may require an extra surcharge (£30 here).
    Hope this has been useful, speak to a hairdresser perhaps?

Good luck on the diet!

Thanks! That sounds like what I'm looking for the ability to better manage my hair without combing for 30 min then product for another 15 min. I'm kinda used to the extra charge for length and thickness...goes with the territory of massive amount of hair lol.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Massive amount of hair..?? I can only wish!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I perform them, and have had them done myself. I'm not sure how much you have read about them but it's not a straightener; it's a repair treatment. It's supposed to make your hair feel as if you've never processed it, blow dried it, colored it, like a child's hair feels. It restores it back to it's original virgin state (yeah, that's the technical term). That being said: it will reduce frizz and volume, make coloring easier/more even, and reduce drying time. If blow drying your hair usually makes it crazy and frizzy, the keratin treatment will help it blow dry nearly smooth. If you want the sleek shininess of a flat iron you will still have to use a flat iron, but it will protect your hair from heat damage. If your hair is crazy and you can get a good deal on it it's worth a try.

Oh P.S. congrats on your weight loss!!
  • saintphly
    saintphly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I treated myself to this on the first week of Jan. I have thick, curly, shoulder length hair. I also purchased the keratin shampoo and conditioner. I loved the results! I still had curly thick hair, but not as frizzy and much easier to handle. It felt less thick.
    Unfortunately, the results only lasted through the middle of Feb.
    Just too much monty for me to justify having to do it so often. I was told that the more treatments, the longer it will last.... But I did love the results. Now I just use the shampoo and conditioner and try to enjoy the curls - but I haven't done the treatment again.
    Congratulations on your achievements!!
  • TChester_05
    Options
    I perform them, and have had them done myself. I'm not sure how much you have read about them but it's not a straightener; it's a repair treatment. It's supposed to make your hair feel as if you've never processed it, blow dried it, colored it, like a child's hair feels. It restores it back to it's original virgin state (yeah, that's the technical term). That being said: it will reduce frizz and volume, make coloring easier/more even, and reduce drying time. If blow drying your hair usually makes it crazy and frizzy, the keratin treatment will help it blow dry nearly smooth. If you want the sleek shininess of a flat iron you will still have to use a flat iron, but it will protect your hair from heat damage. If your hair is crazy and you can get a good deal on it it's worth a try.

Oh P.S. congrats on your weight loss!!

This is exactly what I am looking for!!! Thanks so much for the info!

Thanks to each of you for the info and support! This pat on the back at a good price I think will reinforce my motivation...and make me feel pretty doing it, lol.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My daughter has natural curly/frizzy hair and she got the treatment in February. Her hair is silky straight still. She washes it a few times a week and just blows it out. I would say if you want straight hair go for it. She has had no breakage or hair loss.

**edit............I think her's was the Brazillion blow out not the Kerotin treatment :happy:
  • LauraTheStylist
    Options
    My sister got the "Cocoa Keratin brazilian hair smoothing treatment" and she seems perfectly happy with her hair. It looks great and it uses less chemicals than most....I MIGHT consider getting this one for my crazy hair. It looks very safe and the post treatment includes keratin also which is beneficial for hair.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!