Nike+ sensor with ipod touch

Options
My generic MP3 player died yesterday, and I thinking of investing in an ipod touch for a replacement. I do not have Nike shoes, but I see online you can buy a Nike+ sensor with pouch to attach to any running shoes and then be able to use the Nike+ software on the touch. Has anyone done this? I am not very electronically advanced, so I'm not totally sure how this whole thing works! Any input and/or reviews on this method would be much appreciated!

Replies

• lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have Nike LunarGlide shoes and the Nike+ system. I have an iPod nano. I love using this, it's fabulous. Even if you don't have the shoes, you can probably hook up your iPod to the treadmill at the gym and it will record your workout on the iPod that way. I do it all the time, don't even need the sensor in my shoe for that. Totally worth it, IMO!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My MP3 player died, too. Sad day.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i could never get it to work.... x
  • PrincessRunnerLindsey
    Options
    I started with the Nike+ and a clip on lace holder for the sensor, and then progressed to Nike+ shoes. I don't see any real difference in useability either way. I love the system! So easy!
  • Collinsclan22
    Options
    I started with the Nike+ and a clip on lace holder for the sensor, and then progressed to Nike+ shoes. I don't see any real difference in useability either way. I love the system! So easy!

Thank you - this is exactly what I was hoping I would hear!
  • srathfelder
    Options
    I use the nike + and the foot pod with my ipod nano (4th generation) , I also have a pouch for my shoe since I don't have nike shoes. I calibrated mine and it seems to be pretty accurate, at least for my needs. It seems to spur us on to walk a little further and faster. I like plugging it in to the nike + site and seeing the graph of our walk. It displays your current pace, elapsed time and distance as you are walking/running. Since I don't have the ipod touch I don't know what differences there are between the two. It also gives you calories burned, but I don't think it is very accurate, it is even higher than the MFP calories burned.
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use the nike+ on my ipod nano (6th gen). I have the sensors for it and the nike+ shoes, but I just found out that the sensors aren't needed for the newest nanos. I'm also pretty sure you don't need the sensors for the ipod touch or the phone apps. So don't worry about getting the sensors. Here's a link to the nike site that shows you ways to track your runs/activity: http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/products/ You'll probably just want to read about the nike+ running app. Anyways, hope this helps!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ with my iphone and I don't have the sensors or shoes for it-I just set it up on my phone and go-I love it!
  • bluemoonrise
    bluemoonrise Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ sensor with the 4th generation Nano. I only wear New Balance running shoes since I got fitted for a pair at a running clinic a few years back and looked for a sturdy pouch/holder to hold the sensor.

I finally found one at Switcheasy (http://www.switcheasy.com/product/Run_away), which can be clipped onto any sneakers, and you don't have to worry about it ever falling off or getting lose as the whole case is made of plastic and it is very secure.

I like that it tracks my workouts for distance, time and calories burned and pace.