When do you log your meals?

Options
Just wondering what works for others... Do you log your meals in the morning, planning what you are going to eat that day or do you wait until the evening and log what you have ate? I am trying to find what works for me an was wondering what other people do who have had sucess on here... Thanks!

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I tend to log all my meals but my evening snack the night before. Since I pre-make most of the meals, it's easier this way and reminds me what I need to pack in the morning. I leave the evening snack open because I just never know what I'll be craving! Pre-logging it, for me, makes it more likely for me to stick with what I've planned out. :smile:
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually log my breakfast and lunch in the morning. It's usually for convenience because I'm making breakfast and packing lunch at the same time. It also gives me a good idea of what I have left as a "budget" for snacks and dinner and helps motivate me to workout to earn some extra calories if I didn't do it in the morning.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Usually every morning I sit at the computer or use my iPhone to log my breakfast, morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack. If I know what I'm having for dinner I'll log that too.

I'm finding I'm almost always successful when I log everything including my dinner. Then I know where I have room to squeeze in an extra snack, treat, or glass of wine, etc... If I don't log my supper ahead of time I'll get home from work and have a huge snack and only have so many calories left for supper and I'll either deprive myself or go over calories.
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It varies. If I'm organised, I log everything the night before as I'm packing my lunch for work. I always eat the same at breakfast, and as I'm packing lunch and snacks then I know exactly what I'll be having. It helps me keep on track if I've got all the food and calories laid out in front of me.
    Otherwise, I log as I go. I wouldn't log after eating, in case I was going over.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I log my breakfast, lunch and dinner from the night before in the morning right before I eat my breakfast. I usually don't have dinner planned ahead and I kept forgetting to log at night. This works much better for me:)
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I either log everything in advance the night before or I do it in the morning before breakfast. I always account for breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. And if I feel like dessert or additional snacks, I use *some* of my exercise calories. I've found that I'm 90% more likely to be successful at staying on track when I plan my meals ahead of time.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I log my meals as I eat them if possible, that helps to eliminate the forgetting of a food.

If I know I'm eating a larger than normal dinner I log it in advance in order to avoid going over at lunch
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I usually log my breakfast and lunch in the morning. It's usually for convenience because I'm making breakfast and packing lunch at the same time. It also gives me a good idea of what I have left as a "budget" for snacks and dinner and helps motivate me to workout to earn some extra calories if I didn't do it in the morning.

Ditto
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I tend to log the night before as much as I can, that way I know if I have everything I need for that day or not and whether I will be within my calorie allowance or need to do extra work.
  • sarahmcp3
    sarahmcp3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try to know the calories of things before I eat them and I log as I go. right after I eat.
  • Missy1723
    Missy1723 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I log my meals as I eat them if possible, that helps to eliminate the forgetting of a food.

If I know I'm eating a larger than normal dinner I log it in advance in order to avoid going over at lunch

This is exactly what I do, too :)
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I plan all my meals in advance, and always log my breakfast and lunch at least the day before. Usually log dinner the day before as I know what we'll be having, sometimes this might change slightly and I'll log BEFORE I eat it. I like to plan so that I know if I have any calories left. If so I'll fill those out with various snacks to keep me going throughout the day.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I do this also. If I am having a larger dinner or something with more calories I try to plan the rest of my day accordingly so I don't go over.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi I log mine as I eat it. If I plan on eating a few meals that I know about I type them in and adjust the rest of
    my days food so I don't go over. If I have a party I cant guess I just keep my fingers crossed that
    day and put in a bunch of calories in quick calories. Then drink tons of water.
  • missff
    missff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    as soon as I can - usually breakfast and lunch straight after I've eaten, quite often I log my dinner and snacks before I've eaten them as that makes me plan what I'm going to eat without going off track and also lets me see how much I have left for snacks
  • lilyxD
    lilyxD Posts: 33
    Options
    I log my meals right before i eat them! That way I have an idea of how many calories I'll have left after im done eating!
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    When I make them.
    I usually use the phone app and I like using the barcode scanner so it's easy to scan things as I prepare them.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    I log while I eat most of the time, but for snacks I log ahead of time.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I tend to log all my meals but my evening snack the night before. Since I pre-make most of the meals, it's easier this way and reminds me what I need to pack in the morning. I leave the evening snack open because I just never know what I'll be craving! Pre-logging it, for me, makes it more likely for me to stick with what I've planned out. :smile:

This is exactly what I do! If I don't do it all, I'll at least log what I need to pack to take to work with me and then log everything but my evening snacks as soon as I get to work.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I plan. it keeps me on track. The only thing I dont pre log unless I know for a FACT what I am having exactly is dinner.