Celiacs a blessing in disguise

Options
Anyone else here have celiacs and are glad they do? I used to eat fast food, all the time. not only that but stuff like bread, processed crap, etc. I found out I have celiacs in April 2011. I have been completely gluten free since April 10th 2012 though, I was avoiding gluten but I also have a binging issue and would binge on it. Now that I have stopped eating gluten, I am thankful I can't have gluten because otherwise I would still be eating fast food way too often (I don't at all now, except once maybe every few months at a restaurant that has gluten free options) and I would be eating a lot of bread. I don't eat bread at all anymore because it's way too expensive. I do make gluten free tortillas out of masa though, although not very often. I also can't buy anything processed unless it's gluten free (which again, is very expensive) so that doesn't happen very often.
So I see this as a blessing in disguise. It's helped me get healthier.

Replies

• phylliskboston
    phylliskboston Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had Celiac since the age of 6 (I'm now 40), and if you avoid the gluten-free versions of most cakes/cookies/breads it does force you to eat better.

I can't eat most french fries since they are fried in the same oil as breaded fried foods.

But I would prefer not to have another autoimmune disease! (I"m also type 1 insulin dependent diabetic since the age of 2) :heart: