Anyone with Hypothyroidism?

Options
Hi, I'm 5'3", weigh 236 lbs and my long term goal is 140 lbs. But I was diagnosed with hypothryoidism about 4 years ago. Anyone else out there with this condition that has great weight loss stories that may help motivate me?

Replies

• Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yup that's me. First of all I hope you're medicated and your doctor checks your values regularly. If you are well controlled with medication the hypothyroidism really shouldn't be a factor any more. If your levels go up and down, it will be hard to lose weight and I've been there too.

Please get your levels checked and if all is fine with that, check your food diary against your macros at the bottom of your food diary (especially the sugar, sodium and fats), drink at least 8 glasses of water daily and exercise. It sounds easy, but I know first hand it's not.

If you'd like to friend me, I will support you along the way. Consider opening up your food diary and friends will be able to suggest enhancements for you.

Good luck and be well!

Laurie
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am taking Levothyroxine (generic for Synthroid). the smallest dose as I am borderline, but even so I feel like my weight fluctuates if I even eat an extra grape. I mean growing up I was never heavy but now after 3 kids I can't seem to get down. The doctors have been checking me about every 3-6 months or so, and all seems to be leveled out. So shouldn't I be able to lose just as easily as someone that doesn't have thyroid issues?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'3", weigh 236 lbs and my long term goal is 140 lbs. But I was diagnosed with hypothryoidism about 4 years ago. Anyone else out there with this condition that has great weight loss stories that may help motivate me?

that's so nuts, i'm like right with you. I was undiagnosed for 4 years though. I just got diagnosed with it 7 or so months ago. I'm 5'2 and was 228 at my highest. My goal is 130. I have lost 3 lbs in the time between getting on my medication and now, I haven't been trying the whole 7 months, only the last 3 1/2 give or take. It's really hard, no matter how much you work out and eat right, the weight still comes off really slowly, at least in my case. You can do it though! If you're in the right mindset, anything is possible.
  • AmyFett
    Options
    I am taking Levothyroxine (generic for Synthroid). the smallest dose as I am borderline, but even so I feel like my weight fluctuates if I even eat an extra grape. I mean growing up I was never heavy but now after 3 kids I can't seem to get down. The doctors have been checking me about every 3-6 months or so, and all seems to be leveled out. So shouldn't I be able to lose just as easily as someone that doesn't have thyroid issues?

it doesn't really work that way though, it might help you if you're 'leveled out' but you still have the issue. Medication doesn't really fix it unfortunately. It'll still be hard.
  • blickarz
    blickarz Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi!
    I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I had probably gained about 20 lbs extra in a matter of a couple of months. Once my doctor figured it out, I went on Levothyroxine and started to feel more like myself in a couple of weeks. Once I had more energy, I committed to losing weight by good ol' diet and exercise using myfitness pal. I lost all of that weight and then some. I was also able to finally get pregnant (ovulation doesn't happen with severe hypothyroidism) and have a normal pregnancy. I have been able to maintain my weight as as long as I watch what I eat and get proper exercise. Good luck!!
  • AmyFett
    Options
    you're so lucky! I don't feel like my meds are helping me at all. They made my hair fall out, and I've been on them for months and I'm still consistently shaky. Only thing I connect the shakiness to is the meds. I can't keep going to the doctor all the time either, I don't have insurance anymore, I'm trying to avoid going as often as they say I should. :(
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am on synthroid and citomel for mine and have been hypo for 10+ years. I find that I have to really cut out all bread based carbs (fruit is still okay for me) and I am doing crossfit training, body weight resistance training, strength training for 1 hour (hard!) a day, 6 days a week and not eating my excercise calories back, sticking with the 1200...this is the only thing that has worked for me so far....good luck everyone is different so it just may take a bit to figure out what works for you!
  • jinni1941
    jinni1941 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am on .125 mg of Levothyroxin. I have had thyroid problems most of my adult life as a result of radiation treatments. It can really make losing weight difficult because the weight seems to come off slower. I am on a diet right now, though, that I have had really good results with. I have lost 32 lbs since May on it. It is the Dukan diet. The book and cookbook are both available on Amazon. It is primarily a high protein diet. I have been able to stick to this diet better because I have seen results. I do continue to count the calories on this site so that I can be sure I am not overeating, although the diet says you can eat as much as you want as long as it is a diet approved food. That has never worked for me in the past, so I try to keep my calories below 1200 in addition to eating the diet plan foods.
  • Schauer36
    Schauer36 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just I got diagnosised with this in March. Started out at 75 mg and now I am up to 100 mg and nothing. I can't los weight to save my soul. It is very frustating. My tireness has gotten better but not much. I got back in the end of August too see what my levels are at. I was told it's a guessing game with finding the right dosage with it will take time.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had it 19yrs now. I have also had 6 beautiful children :smile:
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I take 75mcg T4 and 5 mcg T3 per day. I lose weight like a normal person. Maybe I'm just not very bad off?
  • JeneansaQueen
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's disease. So although I'm on the correct dose of Synthroid and my levels are "good", I still have hypo side effects. I have stuck to 1200 cals since Nov of 2011 and have lost 21 pounds, but can't for the life of me lose anything more! I can't throw in the towel because I know I'll gain more weight that I'll probably never get rid of!
  • Gilleran918
    Options

I am on the same meds as you, I started my lifestyle change in Jan 2012 and have lost 70lbs. My doctor told me he wanted to make sure that my meds were making my thyroid work at the level for optimal weightloss. Im on one pill every morning.

I wouldnt say you will loose the as easily, everyone looses differently, i cut out carbs (almost completely) I needed to change how i eat, i thought that with my thyroid leveled that it would "melt away"
  • ScientistRuns
    ScientistRuns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothroidism due to Hashimoto's disease. Before I was diagnosed 4 years ago it was so severe that I had goiters growing on my neck, and was exhausted all the time. I now take 100 mg synthroid, plus some vitamins like iodine and selenium. I have way more energy and can lose weight. I am a healthy weight now, although I'd like to lose another 10 pounds.

I was told to limit consumption of soy and cruciferous vegetables, because these block the uptake of synthroid.

Cutting out refined flour and sugar has helped dramatically in the past, and I'm trying to work up to limiting these foods for life. Apparently sugar stresses the adrenal glands, which can hurt thyroid function.
  • SW8689
    SW8689 Posts: 22
    Options
    Oops I started to post an lost it...so I sympathize with you as I have had a similar issue. My doctor has me on the lowest range without going hyper because we also take into account my fatigue and other symptoms, not just the free t4 reading, that is the vpcorrect way to do it. I also switched from levathyroxine to armour (desicated thyroid) because I needed t3 as well.

It is important to know everything you can about your disease to manage it correctly, it sounds to me from what you have written like you need more thyroid, to get it right.

Ps, what I also found with armour thyroid is that is don't get shaky or have heart palpitations on higher doses like I did on levathyroxine.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Had it for a few months.. then it was gone... weird...
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    my partner has it - she had a serious Grave's episode a couple years ago - she takes T3 - but it's from a compounding pharmacy - and now she cannot gain weight to save her soul. (yes, HYPO,not hyper) She has all the energy and is completely back to "normal" except the weight - but she's on a strict gluten free diet too ... people with thyroid issues should possibly try to avoid gluten as it mimics the thyroid hormone.

Have your doctors checked T3 levels as well as T4? Have you considered going gluten-free?
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Me! Well, used to anyway :) I was able to go off my meds recently, my thyroid decided to kick itself into gear with the rest of my body I guess!
  • scottyg354
    scottyg354 Posts: 13
    Options

See it all depends on what your doc considers borderline. Some doc's consider a TSH of 10 borderline, while some consider anything over 3 full blown hypo. I am lucky enough to have a doc that wants my T3 at top of its range, T4 in the middle and TSH at 1 or lower.

When I was diagnose my TSH was 10. I went to the doc thinking I was dying. I weight in at 350 lbs. Honestly this was 2 years ago. I finally this January convinced him to switch me to Armour. As of my last blood test my TSH was .17 and everything esle was were it needed to be. I am down to 336. Bad thing is, meds or not, if you are hypo we do seem to gain weight alot easier. If I have say a cheat day, were I eat anything I want, like I used to before I was hypo, I retain so much water that I gain 6 lbs by Monday. It comes off in a couple days but hurts progress. I am currently have one cheat meal a week, which I really don't consider a cheat except for some Vodka and Club Sodas. I usually will get a big steak and a baked Potato with some butter and sour cream. ANd may some corn chips and guac at night.

You should ask you doc to give Armour a try. Great stuff. Hypothyroid is a major pain in the *kitten*, but totally manageable.